Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

You have lost me. The desired effect is simple, reign in inflation numbers and put an end to the asset bubbles they created with years of low rates and qe.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

The asset bubble is caused by lack of supply and stupidly high rent, not the availability of cheap credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Wow. Do you honestly believe asset values would be anywhere near what they are today if there hadn't been a low IR environment over the last number of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The property market moves on credit. Interest rates will peak when inflation is under control, that hasnt happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Asset bubble is caused by 10 years of very low interest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Supply is levelling off a bit - which I think isn't unusual at this time of year. It might also mean that those landlords who were going to sell up, have already put their property on the market.

I'm not noticing any obvious big drop in asking prices, although the ratio of price increases to price drops in Dublin has shifted from x1.3 back in June, to x3.1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’d disagree with that house prices weren’t sustainable in SCD in 2012, I bought then and there was some amount of choice and the price in hindsight was very low, all the prices were under 300k but nobody was buying them.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not sure why you quoted my post. Is it some sort of rebuttal?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think the banks are anticipating the next round of EU interest rate hikes. AUB are moving on a 0.5% increase now. Generally they will have an idea what the EU rate will rise by. By raising now it gives them a chance to allow those at drawdown stage to complete the process without any negative conquences not like FI.

As well it's mostly fixed rates that effect the market, most borrower's will be opting for a five year fixed. Fir every 100k borrowed it will add 500/year to repayments or about 42 euro/month.

On a 300k loan it's 125/months or the takeaway coffee budget for a single person who is getting one every day.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

You dream of you think it will be 30%. I predicted earlier this year that we would see a slight correction starting the end of this year into next year. I estimated it will about 10%. It may be a tad higher in Dublin where houses have increased more than the rest of the country.

However if we get a 30% decrease we would see builders stop building immediately. There is already evidence of a stand off between developers and investment funds over apartment costs

There is a small housing development in a village not far from me that is failing to be completed for the last 3 years. Orginally it was a LA project but when costs escalated the builder stoped. As the LA could not legally increase the tender, a housing agency were taking it over however it's still in the doldrums.

The government will be very reluctant to have a situation where building stops as it will increase the housing disaster exponentially.

I stick with an average of 10% nationwide. However it may seem more. A lot of houses that need serious refurbishment are coming on sale in towns and villages and sellers are more realistic this may drop average prices especially if refurbishment costs drop.

Slava Ukrainii

Well that's fine Bass. Well it is once:

A) That person buys a 4 Euro cup of coffee every day which they can cut out

B) None of their other expenses have also increased

That 0.5% increase that resulted in a 125 Euro increase can also easily become a 2% increase equal 500 Euro per month. At which stage the person would probably be running out of hypothetical cups of coffee. I don't think people are overly concerned with that specific increase, more sop on what could easily be coming next

I suppose you'd have to cross reference that a bit with transactions when that data is available. You will also have the effect of people who were going to sell, but are postponing a little because they might think there is a temporary blip at the minute. They may be right, or they may be wrong, in which case they might all come to market later on anyway along with the regular amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

I still can't phantom this figure from the census from just the start of this year, there were over 35K houses empty cause they are "rental property". Not to add deceased or renovation. Only fraction of which are on the market, so people have been holding on to empty property for a long time. Will be interesting to see what happens in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...id love to know how central banks are going to gain control of supply side lead inflation!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

Thinking about the possibility of a huge correction in house prices it doesnt hurt to compare and contrast between the previous crash and now.

Admittedly it's easy to say with hindsight but 30% correction in house prices (and then some) 15 years ago made sense. Increases in prices were on the back of unsustainable credit back then. The economy had been roaring along ever more reliant on construction which helped fuel the bubble. We were churning out apartment blocks and housing estates in places no one had ever ventured but it didn't matter.

Moving along 15 years. We are still coming to terms with a decade plus underinvestment in the housing stock - demand is there. mortgage lending is heavily controlled - possibly the rules were too restrictive - with very little chance for it to get out of control ( or more importantly have gotten out of control already).

Okay mortgage rates will go up and possibly quickly but we're taking a couple of percentage points. It'll squeeze some but those mortgage rules mean it shouldn't be anywhere near the shock of the credit crunch we had back in the crisis.

If we're to have a dramatic fall it's going to have to come down to a surge in unemployment. On that front the only way is down. We're more or less at full employment. Where the bad news might come from is a hit to FDI. A Pfizer or a Google moving it's business elsewhere but even then I don't think the numbers employed in these sectors are anything like there were in construction back in the day. In that situation we'd all end up paying a bit more tax as we wouldn't have the corp tax to pay for everything.

For most people I don't think the combination of higher mortgage rates, higher taxes and electricity is going to reduce their ability to repay a mortgage by the amount required to see a drop in house prices by 30%. Even 10% would be a large fall but there are definitely more clouds than sunlight on the horizon.

Something like 80% of these properties can be traced back to the 2011 & 2016 census. If they have managed to hold them until now it must mean they are not stuck for money or a financial drain on them.

It's kinda nothing to see here. 35k rental properties just indicates that some smaller LL are getting edgy about the rental rules. Again not really surprised the answer to the rental crisis has been a bigger stick beating onto LL backs all the time. Smaller LL or those that think they may want property back in the short to medium term will not longer rent out houses.

Real vacancy rate is probably higher than that as properties a over commercial premise's are no longer included

Slava Ukrainii

You can't post something sensible like that. No it Chicken Licken type posting that is only allowed. Can you not see the raggy barefoot children starting to appear on the street. The restaurants and pubs all closing, the soup kitchens in D4, the lads stand at street corners looking for jobs.

The public service will see a 7.5% pay increase over the next twelve months along with increments most for you ger staff so about a 10% increase for staff under 40 years of age.

A lot of the private sector will add another 5-8% to pay. Accross most sectors.

Add to that the tax relief in the budget. A single person on 38k would have taken home about 31k. After the pay rises, an increment and the recent changes the same person on 42k will take home about 34k. The actual increase is about 2900 euro a year or 240/ month.

Slava Ukrainii

Well I do agree with you, but my gut tells me all those empty houses are probably on short term lets, like airbnb and such. I doubt that thousands of LL can just let their property sit idle and be financially sound. Assuming Short term lets also means that they can get more money than renting it out to average Joe.

But stricter laws regarding short term lets for RPT come into play sometime early next year I think. Where owners need to get planning permission for the local council if they plan to let their property for less than 2 weeks.

How much is residential property undervalued at the minute in your opinion Bass?

• Advertisement

A lot of the private sector will add another 5-8% to pay. Accross most sectors.

How can you be sure about this ? If you didn't get a pay rise this year, what makes you think they will give private sector any money when the economy is over heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

Noticed an estate agent in Leixlip has delisted and relisted a property, presumably so the drop in asking price isn’t logged.

Dropped from €475k -> €449,500

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/detached-house-2-ashbrook-easton-road-leixlip-co-kildare/4278787?partner=anpost&utm_campaign=property_alert_email_residential_for_sale&utm_medium=email&ea=1&utm_source=property_alert

Looking at the ppr Number 5 sold for €430k (asking price) In December 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I notice far more drops of the de/re listing type than what get flagged on the price drops page of myhome

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Pay rises in the private sector are being reported weekly at this stage by the big co’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Job creation in high paying sectors is slowing. MNCs are all that matter...job losses are coming. Prices will fall. No need for twenty paragraphs to explain the obvious...

I asked him how much did he think it was undervalued. There was no need for you to speak for him. He appears to be very certain that it is not overvalued and that it will not decrease, or will decrease very little, even though most observers would point to the fact that increasing interest rates would bring down prices - all else equal. In addition, inflation on day-to-day expenses is outstripping pay rises. It would be logical that in order to come to such a conclusion, one would expect it is actually undervalued now. I ask him as a genuine question.

(It would also be highly unlikely that one would have the position that at this point in time, Saturday Oct 15 2022, that the market is priced exactly correctly.)

I do not think aerBnB is where these houses are. I explained in another thread about analysis from a lad that I knew doing the census. Now this was a mixed rural and small urban area. Generally mix of vacancies was, previously rented, rental needed/being refurbished, houses where older people were in nursing homes or gone to live with relative's, houses where owners were deceased, inherited houses where new owner was either selling or retaining the property.

Property is neither over valued or undervalued it's at a price a bidder is willing to pay and a seller accepts. As I have posted frequently I expect house prices to slacken by about 10% national average over the next 12 months I do not see a collapse like 2008-10 as we have no surplus of stock. If it drops much further builders will stop building.

It's seems to be where the labour market is at. Most large private sector companies more or less follow PS pay. I am allowing for 2ish precent less not including increments. I have a son a first year graduate and his friends on graduate programs are getting 7-8% off larger firms.

BOI agreed a 7.5% pay rise for staff in Feb this year I presume that other banks have increased pay by similar amounts. In the last few weeks BOI & AIB have agreed to give staff a 1k tax free voucher this year not performance related.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

700 properties (sites included) now listed for sale in cork. Was somewhere around 450 in may , asking prices seem stable enough mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement