Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah - Hume, Henderson, Addison all kaput, although I think Hendo and Addison at least should be back soon - next month maybe.

Disappointing result, but not unexpected. Didn't get to see the game as was at kids' rugby - will have a couple of jars and watch this evening.

Did watch emerging Ireland, though, and quietly hopeful for Mike McDonald. Picked up where he left off against Exeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Game was difficult to watch, but we were playing a better team in wet weather with a scrum going backwards so it was never going to be pretty. Our maul was a weapon in the second half for a while which gave me hope, but I'm not sure if that was due to any impact from our bench or Leinster taking Porter and Jenkins off.

Sexton's confidence is probably shot after finally getting a string of games and he drops the ball over the line which meant we ended up chasing a draw instead of a win. He's still young enough I suppose but you can see why McFarland thought he wasn't ready, especially when you compare him to Ethan McIlory who's the same age.

Very early days but McDonald has surprised me. He's 23 and got two games for the waratahs so my expectations are low. Throws the occasional pass to nobody in particular whenever he's trying to cut loose or force the game a bit. If he can improve on shanahan then he'll be a great signing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The conditions were awful and it was a slog. Ulster fought back well. Some good performances! Timoney was good as was EOS, when he came on.

Sexton made a mistake and no doubt will be furious with himself. He is a prospect and could be a good player.

He certainly could be, progress isn't linear. It looks like he'll be fighting moxham for game time and whichever younger player may be coming through over the next couple years. Mcilroy and Lyttle looks several levels above right now.

• Advertisement

Ulster are spoiled with the backs they produce. Sexton has a long way to go and it's possible that he can make it.

Stockdale has been going very well. I think he's going to make the autumn squad. Hopefully, his ankle is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Bernard Jackman has heard that Ulster have signed Rory Sutherland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Suggested earlier with Worcester in difficulty we should be making enquiries! Jackman suggesting on twitter we have signed Rory Sutherland!

Great signing if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

• Advertisement

Kitshoff has been an open secret for a while.

Good signing for Ulster, and definitely a big improvement in an area of weakness for them, but not a great signing for Irish rugby given our dearth of loose head options.

Are the IRFU no longer limiting the number of NIQ players? This will be Ulster's fourth by my reckoning (assuming Moore, Milasinovich and Reffell are Irish qualified).

They are. All four NIE will be gone at the end of this season, apparently, which might have swung it. Then Kitshoff and another will come in.

Ulster team to play Ospreys, BKT United Rugby Championship Round 4, Saturday 8 October at Kingspan Stadium (KO 7 35pm), live on BBC2 NI from 7 10pm, Premier Sports, TG4, S4C & URC.tv.

(15-9): Michael Lowry, Craig Gilroy, Luke Marshall, Stuart McCloskey, Rob Lyttle, Ian Madigan, John Cooney;

(1-8): Eric O’Sullivan, John Andrew, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor (Captain), Sam Carter, Nick Timoney, Jordi Murphy, Duane Vermeulen.

Replacements: Declan Moore, Andy Warwick, Tom O’Toole, Frank Bradshaw-Ryan, Marcus Rea, Dave Shanahan, Billy Burns, Aaron Sexton.

Looking forward to seeing how Bradshaw-Ryan goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Serious backrow that and a rare run out for Madigan.

Not looking good for EOS if Sutherland is coming in. I thought he was a good shout for the national team but, he hasn't improved. To me, that's disappointing.

From the international viewpoint, Ireland are limited at loose head. If Klitskoff comes then he will certainly start. A good move for Ulster and they will be formidable but, not great for the home grown loose heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Don't think O'Sullivan is Farrell's type of player. He has good skills and a good engine but Farrell seems to prefer power athletes where available.

Luke Marshall's timing of his runs have always been spot on, McCloskey must love playing with him and Hume.

Ulster just a different beast this year. Great to watch, so composed in the opposition 22.

It's great watching the old lads playing so well! Gilroy has been quite good. Marshall is brilliant atm. Jordi put in a good shift. Ulster are certainly playing great stuff!

McFarland out!! We want Kiss. How dare Ulster have a good coaching structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭supernova5

Ulster have just an enormous squad of talented players, an embarrassment of riches you might say but will they somehow find a way to lose the critical games at the business end of tournaments once again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Would like to see more of Bradshaw!

Venue: Ellis Park, Johannesburg Date: Saturday, 15 October Kick-off: 13:00 BST

Coverage: Live on radio coverage BBC Radio Foyle and the BBC Sport website

Robert Baloucoune and David McCann have been called straight back into Ulster's starting line-up for their United Rugby Championship game against the Lions following their involvement in the Emerging Ireland tour.

Five more players from the tour are restored to the bench as the province seek their first URC win on South African soil.

Tighthead prop Gareth Milasinovich will make his first appearance of the season while Billy Burns returns to replace the injured Ian Madigan at fly-half.

Lions: Mokoena; Hansen, Selengbe, Bocks, Tyeda; Francis, Steyn; Siyeni, Fourie, Bezuidenhout, Roets, Delport; Du Plessis, Cairns, van Buuren.

Replacements: Williams, Pohlman, Shongwe, Esterhuizen, Ndlovu, Horn, Claasens, Strydom, Mulea.

Ulster: Lowry; Baloucoune, Marshall, McCloskey, Lyttle; Burns, Cooney; O'Sullivan, Herring, Milasinovich, O'Connor (capt), Carter; McCann, Marcus Rea, Vermeulen.

Replacements: Andrew, Reid, O'Toole, Izuchukwu, Timoney, Doak, S Moore, McIlroy.

Interesting. Not the team I thought we'd see. No Sutherland, Warwick, Stewart in front row or bench.

Securing the scrum should be priority number 1 after last seasons trip to SA I would've thought. No idea how strong the lions actually are in that area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Just wondering why you have omitted that match is live on Premier Sports 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

29c at altitude...weak looking front row. I think this will be a tough one for Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Nice start. Easy for Baloucoune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Ruck was formed there surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Shehal

How is a BR able to run the length of the field and score without a hand laid on him? He isnt even that quick.

My one critiscm of the SA sides is it seems they are reliant on the opposition to make mistakes to score their tries more than constructive play on their part.

Advertisement