Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

No problem, was impressed when I saw it myself as all these offers you see are normally only open to new customers...was a nice change!!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

-Just Switched over to (OBS) B.Gais Dual Fuel while the offer is still there 😁-(Also switched the gas provider over - the €50 early exit fee will balance itself out in time).

Thanks again for highlighting the terms of the offer! For existing BG customers its a no-brainer and will save a decent few €€ for the next while!

Post edited by Fishdoodle on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭seanin4711

EI are taking the piss with Standing charges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

just spent an hour most of it on hold, absolutely no way EI want to hang on to their customers. Got transferred to loyalty department etc, they cant match the BG prices, basically see you later.

Only thing is, my contract not up for just under a month, so hopefully the BG offer will still be available(€50 exit fee electric, €50 exit fee gas they told me, even though im practically at the end).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

How long does it take for One big switch to go through. Got a confirmation email 5 days ago from them and nothing since from existing supplier or Bord Gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Out of contract with Electric Ireland so looking at switching providers

Ok tried the one big switch and they are saying the rates are below

So for standard user with smart meter who we use more at weekend and from 5-8 each night

Below are the Bord Gais rates

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/our-tariffs

So if reading correct then savings on the Urban Domestic standard is €1,637 (one big) v €2,127 (bord Gais) I am reading this right

So comparing to Flogas whom I have GAs with is Big swtich best option

Including VAT

• 37.98 cent per kWh (Smart day rate)
    • 29.6 cent per kWh (Smart night rate)
    • 44.92 cent per kWh (Smart peak rate)
    • €338.89 annual standing charge

-Waiting times on the phone are desperate. An hour of your time is worth at least €60. In the big scheme of things €100 isn't huge it's about 28c a day over the year. You could just bite the bullet and switch -no looking back , headache over, you're done & forget about it - forget about the €100 - you'll make up for the exit fee with the OBS offer. Otherwise there's the stress of Russian roulette whether the offer will still be available in the morning and a month spent thinking about it. Life's too short :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Make sure you're not currently on the smart meter plan. Because Onebigswitch deal is not valid for those who are already on Smart Meter plans.

Thanks

Not on Smart meter plan but this option for Bord Gais puts you on a Smart Meter plan or is there any other catches?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

The general consensus is that a smart plan only will work out more expensive for the majority of people. The OneBigSwitch offer is not a smart meter plan. If you're out of contract, you should just switch to that now. Highly unlikely a better deal will come along. My sister and parents have switched to BG on this deal (funnily, my sister is with BG and rang but they wouldn't give her the 33% off but she was told she could just sign up through OBS and get it).

• Advertisement

Cheers

Did the switch and got the email so see how long it takes to switch over

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭masterboy123

No, you will remain on non-smart meter plan with BG via Onebigswitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Does anyone know when that OBS offer will end ? Not out of contract with EI until 8th December

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

By asking that question, you've probably jinxed it and the offer will be gone tomorrow :)

Am in same situation myself, just a few days left on contract so fingers crossed the offer won't disappear over the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

I know that EI won't give me my 26% discount again. The OBS offer would work out exactly the same as I am on now which these days is a win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My contract ends on 18th November. From what I can see the savings are in the region of ~€600 over a year for the average customer, so even allowing for the break fee it makes sense to switch now rather than wait and hope for the best? Even if my bills will go up now to a higher rate when compared to the original deal I'm on?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Anyone know does it matter if you have single or tri phase electricity to switch? Tri phase inherited from previous owner and is at standard rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Which company offers this 'one big switch' plan people are referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Bord Gais Energy is the supplier in the OBS offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

I’d transferred my mum and sister over to OBS as they were with panda and had to move. Email confirmation from BG was same day and entire process was complete within 3 days.

I’m out of contract on 11th November with EI. Received email saying I’ll still be on 5.5% discount so I requested a call back to see if they’ll do any better. Still waiting for the call. Holding out for call to see if they’ve noticed a move of customers before I transfer over to OBS.

Unless the offer is still available in a month (and that’s taking a risk) it makes sense to switch via OBS. The difference in standing charge cost between EI (for ex)and BG is about €20 (BG, being cheaper). So if you switch with the exit penalty of €50, I’d look at it as a €30 loss. The 33% off is the best offer and I wouldn’t rely on it being there for another month.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

I was just double-checking the BG OBS electricity deal before pulling the trigger. Two points:

Firstly, it's very frustrating that they don't seem to allow you to see the estimated annual bill based on your usage and meter particulars.

Secondly, and I've said this here before, it's not a 'great' deal considering their much higher standard rates compared to EI. The only real difference for example in the case of an Urban Nightsaver customer versus EI 14% is just in the day rate, which is 5c cheaper (inc. VAT). I'm not saying this is not significant for people, but for modest annual day usage of 1500 kWh per year, it works out at a saving of €75 if there's no early exit fee applicable with your current provider. And that assumes BG standard rates will not rise relative to EI rates, something I would be dubious about to be honest.

So, will I switch to BG? Probably, easier to go with the general momentum here. But I reckon I'll probably regret doing so and not listening to myself in a few months time, when rates start to fall! That's when BG is likely to be very slow in reducing theirs as quickly as other providers. But we'll see...

You’re right- good point - the standard rates are much higher with BG. But as it stands EI’s best unit rate pKwh offer at present is 40.90 vs 32.29 (BG OBS).

That’s a 21% difference on a fuel bill regardless of the standard rate. (Vs Energia at present it’s a 25%difference). It’s significant.

And the EI standing charge is €20 higher.

If the standard rates go down in a few months I imagine it will be across the board , esp the main providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Been following this thread for a while now, and tempted to switch to BGE on One Big Switch.

Unit prices & annual standing charge ex-vat below.

I am waiting for a call back from the loyalty team in EI for two weeks now, and currently on 8.5% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I've had very little traction from loyalty teams of late apart from squeezing €50 one off gesture from SSE electric. In that case it was during the 14 day cooling off period and I threatened to cancel the switch as they had just announced a price increase. Customer retention beyond the 1 year contract term doesn't seem to bother providers at the moment. The introductory deals have also been paired back to the minimum. The talk of windfall taxes hasn't helped the consumer in my view as suppliers have gotten out in front of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

BGE contacted me and offered to keep me on the 40% discount if I renewed with them, just under 29c per unit ex vat with rural standing charge so at least they are trying.

It's just a pity they are acting the arse with the microgeneration feed in Tarif they are meant to pay those of us with solar panels. Still the best rate I could get at the time a couple of weeks ago when searching.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

BGE is paying 18c if I remember correctly Electric Ireland is 14c. neither have paid out yet. EE have only committed to sometime before the year end. I am currently leaving EE and moving the BGE so I wonder how many hoops I have to jump through to get paid for export from both

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

BGE won't pay until March 2023! The T&C's are a very grey area with the wording they use. I expect a fight with them and possible small claims court considering the CRU are a waste of space in the matter.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement