Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

It just seems like my local council installed it in that house as a box ticking exercise rather than putting any thought into it at all. 600 quid for 2 months electricity in the summer is insane!

For comparison- I’ve a stove in mine. Large trailer load of sticks cost 160 and that will do for a year so that’s 30 quid (I’ve rounded up to allow for transport costs) for 2 months. No need for coal at all. Oil I’m guessing 150 for 2 months. Electricity will be roughly 200. So my winter heating and electricity will be in the region of 400 euros for 2 months.

Go green, yey! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Nope.

Not unless I meet certain criteria.

In other words I have to be on welfare.

Unless you were meant to post a different link?

I don’t know much about them so am only telling you what they said. Are they meant to be left running all the time though?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My BS detector just exploded. No, only for a very limited subset of social housing tennants. There are lots of people who pay taxes, from which that mobs entire lives are subsidised, who can't afford to upgrade their houses - the irony of course being that if they weren't taxed so highly so as to subsidise the other lot, they might be able to afford it.

External wall insulation alone runs to £100 per square metre. Argon filled tripple glazing is many hundreds per window (€700?). Nobody with a mortgage can afford this - if they do the maths - and those without a mortgage are, apart from the 1%ers, likely getting on in years and are quaranteed to not see out the 40 year payback on them before they are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

The truth is the heat pumps and all the green heating and energy efficiencies are being built into new homes. It’s adding about 100k to the cost of the houses. A young person or couple buying that house, will recoup that cost over the lifetime of them living in that home. However, for people with older houses and generally older people, they will never recoup the cost of that retrofit. It’s infinitely more expensive than new build and you literally have to tear your house apart to retrofit it to a standard high enough to not need fossil fuel heating. People will not put themselves in debt to their eyeballs to save the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I thought a house needed a certain minimum BER rating and air tightness factor to be 'eligible' for a heat pump? Otherwise they will have massive electricity usage. They should also check their temp settings. 20-21 C advised in living areas. 18-19C is fine for bedrooms. And get an experienced plumber to provide a 2nd opinion on how it was installed.

I would love to get one but I would need windows and doors.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I know a guy who has installed a boiler than runs off burning logs/wood. I am not sure how he managed it but he converted an oil based system to logs. He says he has to top up the logs about 3 times a day. The fire can be controlled easily to tip away all day. He has the boiler a fair bit away from the house and insulated the pipes really well. Because of his job, he has access to several years of timber so he is self sufficient now.

Ireland has a hidden taxation measure that seems to be much in favour with those in the finance areas of the public sector, which is to force cross subsidies of small businesses, through regulation that forces consumers into behaviours they would other wise avoid. Like maintaining and ensuring the legal system is a steaming pile of manure, to keep a legion of lawyers employed.

You can go cradle to grave in Australia without ever needing to employ a solicitor. Buying or selling a house in Oz can be done in less than two weeks for a cost, back in the day, of €220 - not €2,600.

Another one is Chemists - Ireland has the worst access to generic low priced medicines in the OECD, because the government have stitched things up to ensure the viability of the insane numbers of chemists this messed up country has. My village has at least 5. You can't go online and order cheaper stuff from elsewhere in the EU - they even made common herbal medicines illegal to import, ones which are legal throught the OECD. All in the name of propping up chemists.

In other countries, subsidies would be given to the consumer in the form of an authorisation so they could choose and bargain with suppliers and either get a reimbursement or have the subsidy payment directed to the enterprise, but not here of course.

If my memory serves me correctly, there hadn’t been anybody living in that house properly for a few years prior. We changed our original boiler 2ish years ago so I say the one in that house needed replacing. The council must have just put in a heat pump rather than a new boiler when they bought it.

He doesn’t work on wind farms, does he? We had about 3 years worth from a new wind farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Not when they have to replace the cheap Chinese made crap after 10 years.

There goes the savings out the window.

No. What kind of wood are you seasoning/burning? That everygreen stuff (for, pine, spruce etc) can be awful 'sappy'. I won't let it in my stove.

I thought most heat pumps made by Mitsubishi, Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What about solar panels and other renewables?

And there is many different heat pumps made in many different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Is this all the greens fault too, or are is everyone in on the scam?

My husband knows the answer to that question as he was doing the access roads and what not. Don’t think it’s pine, it’s definitely not sappy. I know there was hardwood too as we set loads of that away for the pizza oven.

He was just in the right place at the right time and had access to a dumper trailer and a place to drop it off and cut the trees up.

A wood pellet boiler modified to take wood? There are stoves with what are termed back boilers that do this. First house I bought in Ireland was owned by a farmer and had a Stanley range cooker in the kitchen that took coal/wood which had a back boiler that was what ran all the radiators with an ancillary electric pump to move the water. It was a pain so I had a kerosene boiler added.

So your not going to retract your statement then.

I dont think this guy ever had a wood pellet boiler/hopper.

My own stove is a Stanley and heats all the water and downstairs rads. I love it. I burn wood mainly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Talking about the Netherlands, after pissing off the farmers with their fixed % of Co2 reduction they are now coming for the industrial plants demanding the same thing. You couldn't make it up! Except they did. People seem to think this is normal, cutting production to get to the Co2 ceiling demanded by the EU. The green clergy, vatican, articles of faith, dogma, inquisition and so on.

The reason much progress has been made is by going up the ladder from wood to coal to oil to gas and ( almost) to nuclear. Many millions still use wood for heat and cooking and die of pollution. Instead of going nuclear many Greens now want to go down the ladder again. No to nuclear, put taxes on fossil fuels and full electricity from wind and solar. Period. No ifs or ands or buts. Article of faith nr 1 to get to Utopia. No wonder many admire Mao. How long will it take to get to the murder level of the leader of the Great Leap Forward?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭ginger22

But the thing is demand by consumers is not dropping so the goods will be produces in some other country instead, same end result, same or more emissions if you also add the shipping emissions. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Pauline O Reilly a GP senator is the one who put in an objection to it.

She's about as popular as a dose of the clap in Galway at the present time.

Thank you. I have some hope we actually will see nuclear power growing fast in the next 5 years if even Greta T and some Greens are now supporting it. Every energy policy in the EU for the last 20-40 years has been to obstruct, halt and reverse anything to do with fossil fuels and nuclear. Long term investment stalled, nuclear power plants closed or heavily restricted (France), banking on imports so the host country wouldnt feel the guilt. Last minute.com.

The mess in Germany and the current energy crisis have a direct link to those policies.

If we are looking for a way out we HAVE to go nuclear. If you think Green tech is promising you really should look at nuclear.

My guess and hope for the next 5-10 years: refocussed investment in nuclear by the oil and gas industry with long term contracts. People dont realise how much built up expertise there is in that area. They looked at solar and wind for a while to try and make the shift. But, like any serious investigation showed, it does not add up.

But, they could also do both IF nuclear becomes the top priority. And that is hopefully the (near) future. Nothing like a good crisis to focus the minds but in a very different way the Greens had envisioned.

Germany will walk into a wall. Too ideologically driven to NOT hit it. They still continue to destroy their remaining nuclear plants. Even now! Imagine that stupidity..

Post edited by deholleboom on

So China use more coal based electricity than the whole of the EUs electricity demand combined?

Am I reading that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,874 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

goddam china and india. i knew it!

curios to know what other is? it that % of total output?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They are lashing in heat pumps in social houses that are completely unsuitable but it's being done to have some stats at the end of the year that X amount of heat pumps have been installed. A lot of stories emerging of people who got heat pumps and quickly saw their energy bills going through the roof. The greenies don't give a hoot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lies. You must be on certain specific social welfare payments. And at that there's a 28 month waiting period and counting. Try again.

• Advertisement

You’re wasting your breath. These guys will never get it.

I can afford it on paper. loads of people can afford it. I have savings and I’ll be eligible to borrow. But I’m not going to use my savings nor put myself into debt for this.

if the government is serious about this then they just need to fund all of it in full for everyone.

(and I still think that sealing up your house for a heat pump in a damp country, with possible radon, when ventilation is so important, is crazy. I wouldn’t get one if it was installed for free)

Advertisement