Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Great defence there for 5 minutes. Much needed win.

Great defense to hold them out at the end. Much needed win and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,146 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

No way Carbery was motm. Every single Munster forward made more of an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He really is on that level. Healy was holding the door for Crowley. Carbery should be behind him in the pecking order from now on

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

I think it's pretty obvious the point the poster was making, no?

Was great to see the impact of Crowley and Ahern tonight. Really promising players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

That's easily our best performance since the Toulouse game. Especially when you factor in the conditions. I think there's a lot to be said about having Ahern and Edogbo fighting for a second row spot with the other on the bench. Keep Kleyn in there and move Beirne to 6. It's far superior to having Wycherley and O'Donoghue there. That sounds harsh and I know it's only one game but we were far more physical with that back five in the pack.

The halfbacks went really well tonight but holy **** if Crowley isn't hounding Carbery for the starting 10 jersey. He's an unbelievable player. O'Gara knew what he was at trying to nab him. Fair play to the coaching team as well. There was much more evidence of an attacking structure tonight then there has been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I really don’t get it with some of ye re crowley ….Healy and carbery were far better than him last season …now saying carbery should be behind him ….carbery was vastly improved tonight …Crowley tbf looked decent when he came on ……I say throw him straight in at 10 next weekend and then we’ll know if all the hype surrounding him is worth it ……I’d honestly love to see him shine

• Advertisement

Not really. Unless you think a rabble were good enough to knock Leinster out in the Semi final.

They're a good team. They can look bad because either they didn't click, or they were dominated.

Leinster looked bad against Connacht yesterday. Are Leinster a 'rabble'?

I was talking specifically about the instance of the Bulls player flopping over the ball, letting it spill and giving the Munster prop the easiest try he'll ever score.

No need to to go so over the the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭Shehal

Dare I say it *Whisper it* the Irish coaches, once again, got it right when it comes to organising the Emerging Ireland tour...

Munster looked more physical than in previous games which is a big positive. They haven't been able to consistently get over the gainline, but against the Bulls they did and were able to impose their attacking game. Against the better sides over the last few years they lost that battle and floundered.

There were many errors and a lot of passes either went to ground or to the outside shoulder which stalled momentum. But the first building block should be to consistently win the collisions. Things will flow from there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

That wasn’t what you said tho, Clegg.

“Bulls are a rabble” is way more of a generalisation that sounds like it’s across the entire match, than “Bulls did incredibly badly in that one phase of play”.

In that context, I don’t think it’s an odd response whatsoever.

Nah, that's incorrect and the poster above was clearly trying to pick a fight over a fairly innocuous but obvious observation in that moment and over the course of the game.

But there was literally no reference to what happened “in that moment” in your post.

Whether you like it or not “Bulls are a rabble” is way more of a generalisation than criticising a singular phase.

The reference was that the post was made a minute after Munster scored that try.

I don't know what that posters issue is. But it's wildly disproportionate with what was said. Just get over it and move on.

I’m pretty sure his issue was that one phase of play doesn’t make any team a rabble.

I was responding to your post. I didn't check the timestamp to see what exact play you responded to.

My whole point was that the bulls are good enough to beat Leinster on their day, so they're a good team.

Munster either made them look bad, which means Munster did well, or they had a bad night which means they're a good team that misfired on the night.

I'm taking for granted that Leinster are a Very good side.

• Advertisement

This is just a circular argument now. Everyone was at cross purposes.

Post edited by Akrasia on

Fair enough

But see the above post. I thought Munster played well enough for the most part. A lot of inaccuracy in attack, but good physicality and a willingness to stick to their structures.

It really isn’t.

Even granting you when it was posted, one player making a really bad mistake at fullback does not equate to “Bulls are a rabble” no matter how you dice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

That was a good performance from Munster, the intensity was there, there was a decent level of creativity even if she of the decision making wasn't great, and most significant for me was the fact that Munster seemed to now what they wanted to do on the ball, there was deception and credible running lines from player and more than just shoveling it to forwards and into contact until a mistake was made. Carbery picked some nice passes and played courageously, her also seemed to be bossing guys around him to set up phases, maybe the competition is suiting him. Casey was a busy body and varied things well enough though his box kicks are bad as often as good. I thought some of the chip kicks attempted by the backs were brainless though its good that they have the freedom to try it and Ive no doubt the accuracy and timing will come. Given the last month I'd say tonight is a big positive, young players coming on really well, more expansive game plan (which Munster have threatened to implement for 7 or 8 yrs) that looks similar to how Ireland play, great defense throughout, and mistakes that can be ironed out, plus a win agains the Bulls. Munster starting to benefit from the EI tour! Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭letowski

It's cool getting a glimpse of the hat the future could be with some exciting young combinations emerging in the likes Edogbo/Ahern, Casey/Crowley. Would love to see Casey and Crowley get an extended run together.

I think Munster are lacking an outside playmaker that can bring the back 3 to the attack. I taught Fekitoa had the handling skills but it doesn't seem like his game. Alot of times when we get go forward ball and put width on it, those passes are loose and going astray. For Leinster, I'd play 9. Casey, 10. Crowley, 13. Fekitoa 15. Carbery. But I know we won't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Carberys mother must have been handing out the MOTM.

Crowley was great when he came on. Casey “won” a penalty just by asking the ref to look at a mid-air tackle.

Aherne was a threat when he came on.

Archer gave away no penalties and was a nuisance in rucks and loose play

Granted Carbery had one or two moments when he shone - the kick through that Loughman scored off. A couple of steps.

Id be delighted to see him do well with Munster but he has failed to deliver consistently since he moved to Munster.

he is at best a utility player- 10,12,15. End of story. Some standout games but some where he was anonymous

And this is professional sports- not the Under 12s. It’s a meat market where the best get rewarded and the rest are let go

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Carbery played really well tonight.

Up to two weeks ago, it was an injustice that Healy wasn't in the Ireland squad and if Farrell, let alone Rowntree, didn't start picking him asap, he'd go to Scotland and walk straight into the national team.

Tonight we saw 40 minutes of Crowley at full-back, and now he should be first choice out-half? What I saw was a talented rugby player who can step and run with the ball, but sure if that was measure of an out-half, Carbery would have 50 Ireland caps by now.

Maybe we see a bit more of Crowley before we install him as messiah?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Much, much more like it tonight on so many fronts.

Really liking the combination of Kleyn with either Big E or Ahern, depending on the opposition, state of the game, and whether the situation lends itself to more ballast or athleticism. Either way, you can then put Beirne at 6, with Coombes and POM completing a beautifully balanced back row.

I am in two minds on the double pivot, but it does look increasingly like the best Munster attack will have both Joey and Crowley on the field.

Leinster may be a few games too soon, but it's all positive energy for me coming out of this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭phog

Much , much improved, had we played like that last week Connacht would be still looking for a win.

As previously mentioned, we still have to iron out a few errors but last night has been our best performance this season.

Joey has improved immensely from his last two games but he's still managing to hit the ground with some passes and that's criminal from your playmaking outhalf.

Advertisement