Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a prebuilt PC

Options
  • 19-09-2022 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hello I have this computer

Lenovo Legion i3 8GB 1TB GTX1050TI Desktop

90H7000VUK

Im trying to figure out if I can put a better graphics card in it and if is it worth it. there isnt much information on the lenovo website about this

wondering if there is another resource I can use or if anyone can tell me

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,245 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

From what I can find, it has a full PCIe 3.0 x16 slot, so you can add in a better GPU. But the rest of the machine is fairly weak. Unless you can find something very cheap and probably second hand, any improvement would be marginal and uneconomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

Do you have a full spec sheet for the PC? It looks like it only has a 280 watt PSU and the CPU only has 2 cores. RAM would also need an upgrade.

You would have to upgrade so many things to make it worth while that starting a new build would work out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

If you can say what you would like to play it might help but as mentioend above it looks like the CPU would be a bottle neck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Stock psu is 280w in those machines. It's not enough to power a decent graphics card. While you might be able to change it, the rest of the machine is fairly basic..

What game do you want to play that you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ay2022

@Flinty997 @Joe Exotic

My Daughter who is 17 uses this - she plays all kinds of games like Overwatch, dead by daylight, sims ..im really not sure

but recently the computer has been crashing a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Not the most demanding games. What monitor is it? 1080p, 1440p?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Crashing computer could be one of many things:

• Corrupted Windows install
    • Dying power supply
    • Overheating due to old paste / dust buildup
    • Dying main drive
    • etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It can be upgraded but would be easier to just buy a new machine.

What you badly need is a new CPU, but it's an old socket type and you'd have to buy a 2nd hand model. The best you can get is an i7-7700K but again, I don't think I would personally bother.

Graphics wise, you can get a GTX1650 which is a good boost on a 1050Ti, but the best card you can get for a machine with a low power PSU. Still not great overall.

Given you would be spending over 300 on those parts, for limited gain, might as well just get a new PC.

This machine is 700 at the time of posting but over recent days Lenovo have been dropping it to 575 so keep an eye out. It's light years better than the current PC.

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/desktops-and-all-in-ones/ideacentre/500-series/IdeaCentre-Gaming-5i/p/99IC9G50341

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

Do this first. Pull the power cord out of the socket, crack open the machine and shove the vacuum tube in there. Be gentle; don't go knocking the vacuum tube around the computer components. Be sure to vacuum any exposed slots where dust may have accumulated. After that, if the problem persists, reinstall or repair Windows. If that fails, I'd put the machine in the shop if I were you.

Advertisement