Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAA College football season 2022

Options
  • 19-08-2022 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭

It's back in a week. I can't wait. How will Lincoln Riley do at USC? Or Brian Kelly at LSU? Or Marcus Freeman at Notre Dame? Will Clemson be back after a down year? Can Georgia repeat? Could Utah cause a big shock?

Lots and lots of questions before the season even starts. Below is the associated press preseason rankings.

I can't wait for next weekend. Go Irish!!!

AP Preseason Top 25

1. Alabama

2. Ohio State

3. Georgia

4. Clemson

5. Notre Dame

6. Texas A&M

7. Utah

8. Michigan

9. Oklahoma

10. Baylor

11. Oregon

12. Oklahoma State

13. North Carolina State

14. USC

15. Michigan State

16. Miami (FL)

17. Pittsburgh

18. Wisconsin

19. Arkansas

20. Kentucky

21. Ole Miss

22. Wake Forest

23. Cincinnati

24. Houston

25. BYU

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,487 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm currently watching the Arizona Wildcats against San Diego State.

These Wildcats look.a lot better than expected, currently up 17-3 and have the ba early in the second quarter. Their QB, Jayden De Laura, looks really good. Very quick release and great accuracy on all his throws so far, he's only 6' tall so mightn't have any chance of making it at the next level but if he keeps this level of ay up for the year he'll certainly be seriously looked at. They have a wide receiver whose 6' 4" with a massive wingspan and soft hands, based on a td catch, called Tetairoa McMillan whose a freshman but looks really good. He has only one catch so far but he's causing havoc out there.

We'll see how much this Wildcats team can turn around from a 1-11 season in 2021 but they look off to a good start here.

In earlier games, Michigan destroyed Colorado State, NC State struggled to a one point win over East Carolina. Meanwhile North Carolina survived a comeback from Appalachian State to win 63-61.

It was an insane game, App State had a 14 point lead early, the Tar heels fought back and took a 21 point lead and then App State got it back to two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Justin10

Wildcats do look good. Not sure how good San diego are.

Crazy punt there.

San Diego have been decent for a while now but I'm wondering if that rape allegation might be affecting the whole program right now.

Notre Dame put up a good effort last night. I don't think it'll hurt their ranking when they come out in a few weeks so long as they win their way to the Clemson game. If they best Clemson their last game could be a playoff decider against Lincoln Reilly's USC.

I also watched a bit of SMU at North Texas. SMU could surprise a few people this year, very balanced team on both sides of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,882 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

UNT were on TV? Cool! I lived in Denton for a few years and worked at UNT for a little while so I've a soft spot for them. The qb this year is 28 years old, and still a junior. He'll be 30 towards the end of next season. Former second round pick of the new York Yankees.

Thought the ND game was interesting last night, both teams struggled to get their offense motoring at times but then both had dinner savage drives especially osu when it really mattered. Some horrible offensive line play by ND at times, was awful to see how easily the quarterback was got at. But they have time to fix that before the next big test. You still always doubt ND against the big opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Good first half in Austin, the Longhorns defence holding Alabama well. Gonna be scuppered though, lost their starting QB injured and the stand in doesn't look up to much. Bama struggling though, very off colour, think it's 10 penalties for them in this first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

Alabama beat Texas but look very vulnerable.

ND look utter muck IMHO. Awful.

Freeman mightn't last too long as head coach. That was an abysmal performance, neither offense nor defense looked good.

• Advertisement

USC look fantastic again tonight.

The other thing about watching USC are those cheerleaders. I just love their uniforms. Man oh man! 🙃

I'm watching Nevada Vs Air Force and the new Nevada QB Nate Cox is very interesting. He's 6'9" and very athletic and he seems to have a nice arm. I'm going to have to watch him a couple of times. He's not on a great team where the offense lost a lot of players over the off-season.

Upset alert. Kansas State have been the thorn in the side of Oklahoma for a few years now and they lead them by 14 with eight minutes remaining in the fourth.

Sooners biggest issue has been false starts putting them behind the chains.

So Georgia got close to losing and lose top spot in the AP poll. Bama back on top and I gotta say that from what I've seen Ole Miss look like serious contenders. 'they play Bama on the 12th November which could well be a fight for the no.1 spot.

I'm shouting for Ole Miss this season with Notre Dame out of the picture. AP rankings below.

1-Bama

2-Georgia

3-Ohio St

4-Michigan

5-Clemson

6-USC

7-Okla St

8-Tennessee

9-Ole Miss

10-Penn St

11-Utah

12-Oregon

13-Kentucky

14-NC St

15-Wake Forest

16-BYU

17-TCU

18-UCLA

19-Kansas

20-Kansas St

21-Washington

22-Syracuse

23-Miss State

24-Cincinnati

25-LSU

Will the likes of Ole Miss make tip 4 though?

The ranking committee have appeared to me very conservative and slow to make changes after the first few weeks, hard to get up the rankings is you're not one of the established teams, or am I wrong.?

You're not wrong. The rankings system is a farcical way of determining these things, it is easily the worst-organized competition structure of any major sport I've ever watched.

You are right but Ole Miss have it in their own hands because they have to face Alabama and that game will decide who plays in the SEC championship game. Ole Miss have to play LSU too but they look a lot stronger than the Tigers.

Apart from Notre Dame I'm really enjoying this season. The PAC 12 is so interesting, Lincoln Reilly has basically brought his Oklahoma system to USC, the Ute's look really good, Oregon too and it's looking like Chip Jelly finally has UCLA where he wants them.

Michigan look legit this season and so do the Buckeyes.

Oklahoma State look like the best team in the big 12 but you can't rule out Texas who went really close to beating Bama in their only loss to this point.

Syracuse Vs NC State is a huge game at the weekend. If NC state could get a big win there it could be huge for them as Syracuse go to Clemson the following weekend.

There's serious competition in most divisions this year which makes it a great year.

Yeah it's a crazy year, even the rise of wake forest in the acc has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭boccy23

I see the latest trend now is being lead by SMU. Team is done for the year so their better players have stopped playing to ensure they don't get injured to allow them to enter the transfer portal. Will happen to a lot more of the smaller colleges as they get eliminated. The transfer portal is really changing things up, not sure yet if it's in a good way or bad way. Definitely allows the next level of colleges who would miss out on the Top recruits to come in after showing themselves in lesser programs. But decimates these smaller programs who have unearthed very good players. Seems like a tier within a tier now in College.

• Advertisement

Two close ones at halftime tonight. Alabama lead 17-14 over the A and M Aggies but you just know that the Aggies will fall apart.

USC lead Washington State 17-14 and that's a much higher possibility of an upset I think.

I'm surprised Milroe is still in for Bama, two fumles and an int in the first half. Bryce Young is out tonight. The no. 3 mustn't be up to much or he'd be in I'd imagine.

Well I got that one wrong, Bama win by four and the Aggies had it at the two yard line with three seconds left but couldn't get it done.

USC survived too winning by six points.

The big upset tonight was South Carolina beating Kentucky. Less of a shock and not one for me was Chip Kelly's no.18 UCLA beating no.11 Utah.

UCLA could be anything, looks like Chip finally has them close to his Oregon teams from back before he made the big mistake of going to the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Looks like we finally have an excellent slate of games this weekend with big playoff implications.

#10 Penn State @ #5 Michigan, both undefeated.

#3 Alabama @ #6 Tennessee, both undefeated.

#8 Oklahoma State @ #13 TCU, both undefeated and likely to be very high scoring.

Also #7 USC going to Utah as underdogs despite being undefeated.

#4 Clemson also have a tricky road game at Florida State.

Tenn3and Bama having a right shoot out, tied at 42 midway through 4th quarter. Great offensive game, Young and Hooker shooting the lights out.

Really odd opening from Bama, several dumb penalties and they've been on the back foot since.

Fantastic game. I've been keeping an eye on it on a stream on my phone while doing some work, I've had to put on the 4th quarter on the TV. Big finish coming up.

49 each now.

Alabama have conceded 16 penalties thus far - crazy game.

This guy with 5 TDs and 200 yards on 6 receptions. Ridiculous!

Wow Tennessee are the real deal, I presume they jump to no.1 after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Go Vols!

Shame ETSU are losing (unsurprisingly) or it'd be a perfect night.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement