Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Examining Neutrality After Ukraine War

Options

Comments

• Ireland cannot be in NATO, because

1. we don’t spend 2% of our GDP on our military (as mentioned above)
    2. our military is a shambles and hardly fit to defend ourselves if we’re invaded let alone another NATO member
    3. NATO membership requires that the member be in a position to defend an ally if necessary which again we would be totally unequipped to do.

but even outside of money and the poor equipment our military has— they are way lacking in numbers, underpaying the staff they have what good is our military to NATO? Another reason it’s idiotic and dangerous to imply or say outright we should become non-neutral. If we’re invaded/attacked we are fooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭lizzyjane

Joining NATO would only heighten the risk of an Islamic terror attack than remaining Neutral in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You mean tell that to the kind of loolahs who think that the UN mandated mission in Afghanistan led by NATO was a US invasion?

Away off to Clare Dalys facebook page with ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

No, the Mujahadeen and the Taliban were and are not the same. The Taliban are a Pashtun nationalist organisation that came out of seminaries in Southern Afghanistan and Pakistan only in the early to mid 90s after the Soviets left. The Mujahadeen were ethnically far more diverse (and included foreign members) and date back to when the Soviets came to town. Ahmad Shah Massoud, a Tajik later of the Northern Alliance was a prominent commander of the Mujahadeen (the most prominet really with the largest amount of fighters under his command). And if you don't understand the significance of last sentance there, you have no business contributing any further on this.

If you rely on Trot pamhlets to inform yourself, you're going to end up in situations like this. Posting nonsense when you know you're out of your depth and hoping to God it will stick.

• Advertisement

So you missed the Lancet report on the Northern Alliance human rights abuses which included rape forced marriages of women and children, torture and murder.

"Armed units of the Northern Alliance, local commanders, and rogue individuals were responsible for political killings, abductions, kidnappings for ransom, torture, rape, arbitrary detention, and looting."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Usual ill-informed guff about de nooodralllidy.

1) We aren't neutral. If we were "neutral", we wouldn't be in any political alliances, either and we are in several. And so, the correct definition of what we are, is 'militarily non-aligned'

2) Neutrality or non-alignment is not worth the description if it cannot be defended and asserted. We cannot do either.

3) This Country has sovereignty, meaning 'the defining power and authority in and over a territory'. We do not have the ability to surveil our own land, skies, seas and underwater of our territory and EEZ. We are contracting the British RAF to protect our skies and that's not sovereignty. Ireland is a modern wealthy State. Failing to assert our sovereignty over our infrastructure and resources abdicates it.

A Citizen's Assembly on Ireland's defence posture will happen soon, probably next year, but irrespective of its outcome, our defence forces deserve the structural reform and funding they are asking for to do the job they are constitutionally given.

I personally don't think Ireland needs to be in NATO. But I don't think we need to hang ourselves on UN decisions over what we do with our armed forces either, only the Oireachtas should. I do think we should have greater military cooperation with our EU partners. If the EU has a future, its worth protecting.

And whatever the future political policy and constitutional position ends up being, we need far more capable Defence Forces than we have now, despite the best efforts of the current soldiers, sailors and aircrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

All those neutral airflight from Shannon. We already had 2 Islamist attacks played down by the Irish media.

I don't know where you're going with this, I'm not the spokesperson for the Northern Alliance, and no I don't typically read The Lancet for pleasure.

I'm making the simple point that the US did not fund and train the Taliban like you claimed, because the Taliban did not exist during the Soviet Afghan war and did not appear until the mid 90s. So If you're going to post, don't post nonsense. It will be called out in short order.

Happy Googling by the way. Better than frantically using a search engine to cover up a howler of a post, is thinking before you contribute. If only to make sure what you're submitting isn't non-factual nonsense.

It's back of a cereal box stuff at this stage. It wont last long prob nuked later today.

• Advertisement

Glad we cleared up your original statement to me that "I obviously love 7th century religious fanatic creeps running things." when in fact its the U.S that does plus arms and trains them. I wish they would learn from there mistakes.

Should you not be staking out the local Mosque and reporting anybody shouting Allah Akbar.

The US did not arm and train the Taliban. They didn't exist during the Afghan-Soviet war.

I'm getting metaphysical here now, but you understand concepts like time and existance work right?

Look, you're a new-reg. And we've had a proliferation of sh*tty new-reg accounts of late vomming boilerplate anti-everything nonsense, and with particular reference to NATO / the West and soft-peddling Putinist sh*te. If you're trying to drag the thread down into the gutter, quit now.

If you want to make a point you have strong feelings about, make it artfully and try to stay within the boundaries of reality and verifiable fact.

There are posters here of long-standing that actually like having threads of decent quality. Up your standards or take it elsewhere.

Nah not really. I wager if some were in a restaurant some Christian nutters come up interrupt your meal trying to sell you on the big wizard in the sky they would sit and listen with baited breath for 2 hours. I would ask the owners to remove them immediately. I don't tend to go to mosques as not a Muslim any I have walked past cant hear what's going on inside. But on that issue did make me lol that the lovies at the airport for that halawa fella disappeared when he started shouting that in the airport. RTE even dropped him after 1 interview.

I work odd hours, but some my have been on the old booze 🤐

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

lol Robust Debate where ? We do know NATO has been a force for good and why were not russian ?

You may note a more recent poll has a majority in favour of NATO membership. Not sure what an ass-monkey is, you'll have to explain that one better.

NATO has overwhelmingly been a net good for Europe and secured the European peace over the last 70 years. Whether you want Ireland to join or not, some people's brains aren't infected with Trot nonsense and recognise the treaty for what it is - an essential backstop against revisionist autocracies returning to the continent and overrunning its member countries. And it has provided an essential security umbrella for democracy and the European economy to flourish.

That chapps some people's assess, and long may it continue to do so.

Lol @Yurt2 chapps made me laugh hard. Some may have a sore backside from the hobby horse there sitting on.

• Advertisement

The British empire was a force for good in many ways too. Maybe its why we're not German. Or Ottoman. Who cares.

Nato doesn't need us, and we don't need nato. Russia is not a threat to us. The myth of the Russian boogeyman is debunked by their own high profile incompetence.

Beside Nato meddles in mid-east politics and gets into squabbles with jihadi's ... who in turn detonate themselves in nato countries. Far more probable an issue for us (as members) than Russia sailing around Norway and out into the Atlantic before hooking around to attack Kerry from the sea (as non-members).

Let us do any defense upgrading ourselves and remain in control, rather than getting free/discount upgrades as part of a soul-pawning exchange with Nato corporation.

OFC I'm an outsider looking in I live here. I would fully support Irelands beefing up military capabilities without joining NATO. Plenty of off the shelf systems. Only need 5 planes for example 3 on 2 off for repair and standby. Air to Air is fairly cheap depending on the system. My biggest issue is the whole gap on one side of the country in regards to radar. At this point in time Ireland would be hard pressed to disperse angry fishermen with the ships that are used.

It's Irelands decision. But it needs talking about and seriously not some misty eyed version of what is happening. Imagine say 800 years ago Sure what's the point of an army no one will invade.

The poll was posted to counter the one you posted.

I'm sure nato has been a net good for Europe, and thats great. It did so without us. And its job is looking pretty much done. Western/central Europe now easily outpowers Russia (conventional forces), whereas the USSR had the upper hand in the past.

So now Russia will either usher in nuclear war, or it will take its humbling. At this point a win over western/eu Europe is not on the books for them. And as such Ireland has no need to worry about Russia or Nato or their rivalry.

(An ass-monkey may be a country which becomes little more than an asset for the American-led nato. Such as our neighbor.)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MoxoM

We can’t be neutral when the EU Army is given the green light so best to prepare the public now.

Yes we should fork out for some radar and some high altitude sams.

Govt probably won't, and will probably spend it on pensions or raises for themselves, but still preferable to long term ho-ing ourselves out to murica for the sake of some hardware.

Europe is a lot more civilized now than it was 800 years ago and even at that it didnt stop the Brits from invading.

There will be no doubt a call for a European army in the coming few years but the Irish public will never want to join NATO.

Sorry have you not read the Russian thread. The standard of debate is appalling by some the pro Ukranian side and anybody even posting verified news on Ukranian losses is classed as a Putin bot or is told they "must try harder comrade".

You also called me a conspiracy theorist first and hinted as if I am some fan of that nut job Alex Jones.

There is no value in changing the stance on Neutrality.

Condemning wars, and providing support (non-military) doesn't counter our neutrality. People here want to see neutrality as some kind of absolute form of isolationationism in foreign affairs. It's not, and has never been for any other neutral county.

Ireland has no realistic enemies, and no resources that any other country would want. If terrorism was to reach these shores from abroad, being a NATO member wouldn't change a thing. It would still be the police, the Irish army who responds, and no need for the type of weaponry needed for a military commitment to a military alliance. We already have the opportunity for joint counter-terrorism as part of the EU. Oh, as for closer ties with other nations, we've been a member of the EU for a rather long time now, I doubt being part of NATO would improve on the benefits of economic exchange.

This is all posturing. Very expensive posturing, and for what? That we should be placed in a position to send Irish people to fight a foreign war. Fck that.

So long as we cannot defend ourselves we're not neutral, we're neutered. Pondering the war of independence last night, yet comments from some that the UK should defend us. Why did we do that again. As for identities, I don't see the conflict, one can be Irish and European. Though I certainly see EU over reach and also being used as an excuse for some issues here. Often the source is an Irish interpretation of an EU regulation.

We do, we can't expect others to put our national interests first at cost to themselves when our reply to them is a bit "meh, we could send (even indirectly) weapons, but we won't". Ireland is as much guilty to not listening to people who know more than us on the subject as are France & Germany.

Reasons I'd prefer NATO, we already have good relations with the US and the UK - despite everything. The EU would still be debating whether a conflict was happening after it was over. I see the EU as prone to dithering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As someone with a historican viewpoint, I don't see how a conflict on the edge of Russian effects Irish national interests so much as to revise our historic neutral status as there are very few links between Ireland and Ukraine to warrent such a step.

Advertisement