Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

I believe their natural gas reserves are on par with Iraq. The oil and gas reserves are probably the largest on the continent and the 2014 annexations only occured as a result of the Ukrainian government awarding exploration rights to western companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

They have a lot of natural resources… I’m sure that might come into play

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Oh and it's a price Ukraine will happily pay west trousers some money vs Mosco taking it all. It's a price most sensible people would accept in the long term.

I'm under no illusions on the situation it's a trade off. West is the least worst option. And comes with huge benefits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Seems russia and their buddy belarus are creating a boarder patrol. belarus clamming security issues from Ukraine. Had a bunch of old russin guys explaining the welcome they got one odd looking brass band without brass. Trucks moving erratically. Will be funny to see the lad get ousted once he lets the troops out. I assume NATO and Ukraine have thought of this possibility. And Poland my say **** it were in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It does seem to be serving as a very useful proxy war for USA on multiple levels. What I’m wondering is what would happen if the war drags on and the orange one got back into power would he cease all support for Ukraine. In that situation would Europe step up to the plate?

Im also wondering if this situation has exposed the fragility of the EU from a military/weapons point of view. NATO is effectively the USA and without the USA western civilisation doesn’t appear to have much defence against the likes of Putin. Muppets like Putin should be a thing of the past but it’s clear humanity isn’t fully ready to evolve completely past populist strongmen small dick syndrome.

I think USA have a point when they say we need to spend more on defence. I’m not pro military per say but when you see the kind of trouble being caused with the russia/China axis and by even useful puppets in smaller countries like Belarus, it doesn’t look like everything will be fine once Putin is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭weisses

The Ukrainan counter offensive are still making ground in Kherson,Russian officials have started to bail out.

In the Donetsk and Luhansk regions its going a bit slower because the Russians have dug in and gotten some reinforcements.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭threeball

His wealth is mostly based on stock and stock options. We're this stock to drop significantly then his wealth evaporates. His wealth is currently based on maintaining a cult following who will purchase his products because they think he's some messiah. One wrong tweet and he could see his wealth fall off a cliff. He's heavily dependent on government investment to have gotten any of his companies to where they are today.

The incident with his tweets surrounding the shares a while back shows the authorities aren't afraid to sanction him. And national security is on another level than manipulation of share price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There's quite strong support among the public in the west for Ukraine,

This argument that the Weat is going to turn its back on Ukraine, not going to give it weapons or money, won’t keep up sanctions, has been going on since the beginning of the war. There’s no evidence for it at all.

The west has done everything it can bar enter the war and precipitate nuclear war. But it’s made it clear that if there is a nuclear attack it will respond.

This argument that the west is just about to sacrifice Ukraine is Russian wishful thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There are pictures of this, not hard to find. Looks brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fecking typical cis countries. They'd want to check their privilege. You wouldn't get that in the trans countries.

I didn't know Russia was so well up on the modern issues like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Putin's aim over the last few weeks has been to get to the winter without his military completely collapsing so in that sense he has achieved his short term goal.

Over the coming weeks and months support for Ukraine will begin to melt away from the general populations of Europe and the US and the political class in response will give Zelensky no choice but to negotiate. Despite some of the well intentioned musings on here that process has more than likely begun through the back channels.

What we will see over the coming years is an easing of sanctions on Russia and a sustained insurgency from hardcore Ukrainian units who refuse to accept the ceasefire negotiation, this will probably include attacks inside the Russian heartland with targeting of Moscow underground stations etc..

I don't see any military value in targeting this building.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Maybe he is. However, his personal life isn't really of much interest to me regarding this particular topic. He has stated on many occasions that he was the victim of a government smear campaign, and that the FBI promised to destroy his reputation if he didn't keep his mouth shut. And of course the FBI / CIA have never attempted to do anything like that to anyone before, right? Yeah, right...

Perhaps there's some truth in that, or maybe it's BS. Who really knows? But if there is any truth in it, then not listening to him would be a big win for some very powerful people.

Either way, I don't really see how these ad hominem attacks necessarily disqualify the man from giving his professional opinion?

Meanwhile, we can see on this thread, certain people are fully prepared to throw around terminology and rhetoric that is peddled by some very unsavoury groups within this conflict. Groups that no decent person would/should be happy to stand behind - regardless of where you stand on this conflict. But because it's rhetoric coming from "their side", they hold their nose and consider it acceptable. Well, people are free to make that moral choice if they wish.

So yes, I am prepared to hold my nose and listen to what this guy Ritter has to say. This doesn't necessarily mean I like the guy, or that I like what he might have gotten up to in his personal life. It also doesn't mean I take what he has to say, as wholesale truth either btw. He's qualified to give his professional analysis, so I am prepared to listen. That's pretty much it basically.

Like I said, I'm not telling anyone what to believe or whom they should listen to. That's very much your choice and your free will. I will keep listening to as many varied opinions and voices as I can on this conflict. That's what makes the most sense to me. We're all wading through a river of propaganda around this conflict from all sides, so it's up to each individual to decide for themselves what information they think is relevant or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭zv2

Congratulations. Best of luck with the dancing.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Deub

I am shocked at this post. You are the one asking everyone to justify any claims they make with verifiable sources and here you are telling us what the future will be. Any source for this claim?

Might as well ask Larry Murphy for his opinion while you’re at it

You’re deluded. The guy said Russia has already won the war. Defend that comment.

Only an idiot posts clearly (as in crystal) stupid stuff. You sir, are a time waster at best. But, here’s the thing NOBODY has read your dribble and thought ‘wait a minute…’

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Forget his personal life and political leanings allegiances etc, just take his military predictions and conclusions and going back before this Russian invasion too. He's almost never right and when he was right it's been after the fact. If he was a gambler at the race course bookies would love him.

And yep propaganda abounds so let's look at the unvarnished facts:

Russia invaded Ukraine saying they were a force against nazis and NATO threats.

Ukraine was years if not a decade away from NATO or EU membership.

Support for the hard right in Ukraine had fallen off a cliff and they couldn't even secure a single seat in their parliament. Are there nazis in Azov etc? Damned right there are, but they're hardly lacking in Mother Russia, that well known non imperialistic militaristic die for the motherland oligarchic feudal state...

Russia tried to cut the head off the snake in Kyiv and failed. They took the southern coast after months of heavy fighting. They retreated in the north west and latterly have retreated in Donbas. They still don't have air superiority after all this time and the trickle of western advanced weapon systems are hurting them. The majority of Ukrainian weapon systems are outdated Russian kit.

The mighty "million man" Russian army needs to mobilise and conscript where once they promised their people this wouldn't be required and some are suggesting more people have left than have been conscripted.

To cover this mess they now claim they're fighting NATO, yet not a single NATO aircraft, tank, ship or actual ground forces has been set against them.

If Russia hadn't started this war tens of thousands of men women and kids wouldn't be dead or crippled and millions wouldn't have been displaced.

Beyond the war front Russia has increased the NATO border around them. The vast majority of world politics and economics is against them, with four nations for them(all bastions of freedom...) and a couple of dozen abstentions, including among their "friends". Economically they've been isolated to the degree that Ireland 1/30th of their size now has a bigger export economy. Their currency is almost entirely internal and monopoly money elsewhere with most so called "rouble transactions" running with dollars or euros behind them. They've been frozen out of the international leasing, insurance, shipping and investment streams for the foreseeable.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

In all this window dressing at least you are acknowledging it. You do trip at the final hurdle with a dose of both sides-ism. There aren't "two sides" to this. There weren't "two sides" to Hitler invading Poland. So the next time you read "Putin is bad but", pay very close attention to what comes after the "but". 99% of the time it's indirect validation of what Putin is doing.

"An intelligence assessment shared in recent days with Ukrainian and U.S. officials contends that Iran's armaments industry is preparing a first shipment of Fateh-110 and Zolfaghar missiles, two well-known Iranian short-range ballistic missiles" to Russia

Not good.

That’s one way of looking at it, but also confirmation that Russia is running low, and Iran won’t have infinite missiles either.

Spunking them against civilian infrastructure will only harden Ukrainian resolve NOT to fall under Russian control. These missiles cannot win a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭jmreire

If it was targeted by Ukraine, you can be sure it has a military value.....invaders using it for admin or something like that, unlike Russia, they don't waste expensive munitions, and especially on buildings they will need themselves later on.

The fighting is going to go on for a lot longer than most people realise. It wouldn't surprise me if it was years until we saw an actual negotiation that ended this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Either way, I don't really see how these ad hominem attacks necessarily disqualify the man from giving his professional opinion?

Sure, why don't we get Gary Glitter's opinion on the evolution of rock music or maybe we should ask Rolf Harris what he thinks of cartoons in the age of Tik-Tok! Maybe even give Bill Cosby a Netflix special to hear his latest material?

A few things of note in this segment:

• He disregards well documented mobilisation problems as a "handful of cases" and states that "the majority is working fine". When pressed about a specific case he implies that it could well be some kind of fake news
    • Still spins the "We could destroy Ukrainian infrastructure tomorrow but our President is being generous" fable
    • States that it's "good" that the Ukrainians are mounting an offensive in Kherson and is confident that thanks to mobilisation they will be able to defend it.
    • Says that the Ukrainians are mounting the offensive now, not because of the impending Winter but because of the upcoming elections in the USA
    • A couple of instances of straight up racism

This is actually all very reassuring. If this guy reflects the typical intelligence within the Russian Armed Forces then they don't even know what they are doing wrong and why they are losing. If you don't acknowledge your mistakes then you will continue to make them.

It's cute as well that he thinks that the average American mid-term voter cares about foreign policy.

• Advertisement

Seems like there's a hierarchy in the Russian forces. Those on the lowest rung, the prisoners, are sent to the front-lines. The mobilised are positioned in the secondary line and ordered to shoot the prisoners if they retreat. They in turn are in fear of being shot by the regular soldiers behind them, in the third line.

Grim stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement