Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there hostility towards centrists on social media?

Options

Comments

But anyway Overheal, you did lie that I said "people who aren't centrists like me" - apology accepted.

I started a thread about hostility towards centrists on social media that I've noticed for some time. And asked why people think this is. No real reason was given, as I suspected, so I gave my reasons as to why I reckon they're so weirdly hostile to people who examine all angles. My opinion is that it's people on the far right and far left, not anyone here. Just extremists. So on whose behalf are you getting defensive?

Otherwise, the rest of your post above is just imagined stuff.

Could you... do me a favour and get back to me on why you're taking exception to me having a go at extremists but are totally fine with the two posters I quoted making stuff up? Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

People who hate centrists are whom I've always meant

So, are there any examples of this or is it all just smoke, mirrors, and strawmen?

I was happy to leave my conversation with you yesterday but another poster has arrived here and changed the narrative to "Poor CGI Livia Soprano" which is utter nonsense.

What are you talking about??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Disagreeing with my interpretation, call it a misinterpretation if you like, is one thing but you’re completely throwing a strop over it. Same as the op throwing a strop and hurling abuse at people just for committing the crime of disagreeing with her.

Also Overheal hasn’t been defending me whatsoever. That is definitely a misinterpretation on your part.

You've noticed it "for some time" but cannot exemplify it?

I have neither lied nor offered any apologies. If you wish to accuse me of a lie please demonstrate it. If you don't know what paraphrasing is I cannot assist.

I'm not "defensive" on anyone's behalf, I read across your thread attacking 'people who hate centrists' as very many colorful and derisive epithets, and it occured to me, this is the very behavior your are trying to denounce in your messaging on the thread as well. It strikes me as logically incongruent and I wanted to challenge it.

Fancy telling me direct quotes from you are "imagined stuff" while you have not supplied for this thread any of the "hostility on social media" you are citing as your evidence to drive the thread along.

27 posts into this thread some troll/sockpuppet of someone tries to troll the thread, given the chronology, I don't think this is what you meant. Surely you have examples older than the OP that are worth discussing in detail?

If the OP cannot face these challenges about the central purpose of the thread without deflecting to 'why don't you attack so and so' well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Disagreeing with your interpretation?

That's not what I'm doing, I'm taking issue with you completely misrepresenting me.

Everyone else is unreasonable apart from you? Is that what you're peddling?

Glazers Out!

I'm taking issue with you completely misrepresenting me.

If I may null: if this bothers you you would do well do dispense with routinely putting words in other people's mouth (See above). Drop the loaded questions and just talk with people about your mutual disagreements like you were sitting across from each other at dinner?

If not for you for example I'd have no idea I was rushing to defend the honor of so and so, above.

Sure everyone can relate to some form of centrism so it's not as though we're all incapable of mutual agreements.

°°°°°

Post an example of me routinely putting words in other people's mouths please. I'm assuming there are examples on this thread?

Edit : actually don't bother I have you on ignore for a reason and I'm not getting into hassle over yet another endless boring exchange between us two.

Glazers Out!

By implication you are defending that guy by not saying a word about his abuse and misrepresentation (that he pretends is "just disagreeing"). And you are all buddy buddy with him with your "nail on the head" stuff. That's part of the hypocrisy I meant earlier. Yet jumping on me for giving my assessment of extremists, which you presumably don't have time for either. It's something I have noticed on social media numerous times. What spurred me to start the thread was someone posting "it was all insufferable centrists" who complained about the footballers who chanted up the ra. Or some rightwing gimp who said on Twitter "you spineless centrists would rather attack your ally than attack lefties". I can't think of all of them.

You're very much twisting what I'm saying. Which is very unfair behaviour. Borderline cyber bullying.

PS - yes you did lie by saying I was referring to all who are not centrists like me, when I did no such thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

• Advertisement

Certainly, Null, I'd be happy to treatise:

Here you inform @EmmetSpiceland that really, their opinion is you're a Nazi, when they never said that

You inform @CGI_Livia_Soprano that, contrary to their free will and personal choices, they are unwilling to listen to differing opinions

And again, alternate prose

Oh I thanked #121 the other night BTW. See we do overlap.

°°°°°

For clarity I never said that EmmetSpiceland called me a Nazi, I replied to them and they didn't reply to me at all so I'm not sure how they could have called me anything seeing that they didn't directly address me at any point. I was exaggerating to make a point with that statement, if you want to take issue with that fire ahead but putting words in the mouth of EmmetSpiceland isn't something I could reasonably be accused on doing.

CGI_Livia_Soprano is unwilling to listen to differing opinions, this was alluded to by Ancapailldorcha who is incidentally one of the most left leaning (in my opinion) mods on this site. Again I didn't put words in their mouth I made a statement based on evidence.

I think that's enough from the two of us on this, let's spare everyone the usual passive aggressive war of attrition we usually end up embroiled in.

Take care of yourself.

Glazers Out!

No war of attrition here. We've already incidentally agreed once ITT it may happen again.

I'm honestly not sure where you're going with this. I asked you to substantiate hate speech etc. toward centrists on social media and you continue to demand deflection.

You proceeded to tell me actually I "love" the views of @EmmetSpiceland and @CGI_Livia_Soprano when quite frankly, I don't engage with these accounts nearly often enough to understand what their views are or whether I love them or not.

Is it really too much to ask of the OP to substantiate the subject matter of the thread and the Original Post via. giving examples of "people who hate centrists" hate speech against centrists on social media etc. that you have alleged exist - the very things which, I can only up to this point assume, were the very impetuses for producing the thread and the original post?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

The people you listed think nothing like you. What's sold to us today as 'centrist' is globalist, neo-libcon, expansionist f*ck everything for hail the markets in a fake goody-two-shoes, woke, climate, let's all be sensible disguise.

For the interest of 'balance' as requested, and trying to keep OP's thread on its rails allow me to meekly note I had already previously reported a post from @CGI_Livia_Soprano as well and it was subsequently removed, so. 'Balance' had already been achieved. I didn't think the thread deserved to be a bashfest. I'm still trying to cut through to the central topic: exemplification of hostility (especially "Hate" and hate speech etc) toward centrists on social media. I'm sure there must be ample examples from beyond the boards platform we could constructively discuss without fraying anyone personally? Users on here attritioning each other as Null neatly put it, doesn't cut into that.

Is the state of being woke exclusively non-centrist? We have very poor definitions even for the term Woke, other than AFAIK being situationally and politically aware of other people and their adversities. By definition wouldn't a centrist be 'woke' in that framework since most of the time centrism is factoring in many facets or viewpoints to determine what the political centroid even is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Woke is mainstream now is it not? Or if not woke itself at least its advocacy? You certainly would be pushed into the bold fringes corner if you were openly anti-woke.

Also very encouraging tone in your opening reply. Basically begging for a nice exchange.

• Advertisement

And why do you think that that would be by those in the centre?

Centrists sometimes have liberal views, sometimes conservative views, sometimes neither. They will, if necessary, examine all perspectives in a debate. Don't know where your definition came from. And "woke" describes being slaves to ideology and castigating those who disagree. Why would any centrist endorse that?

And "woke" describes being slaves to ideology and castigating those who disagree.

Wow, who wrote that definition and where can I read it?

Seriously all in your head. To make that assessment of one really short post? Anyway, your idea of centrist is completely bizarre and wrong. Saying that centrists would admonish "anti woke" people... wtf?! No, woke people would.

I dunno. That's the definition that Calamari is referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m guessing @CalamariFritti is referring to ‘radical centrism’ -

Radical centrism (also called the radical center, the radical centre or the radical middle) is a concept that arose in Western nations in the late 20th century.

The radical in the term refers to a willingness on the part of most radical centrists to call for fundamental reform of institutions. The centrism refers to a belief that genuine solutions require realism and pragmatism, not just idealism and emotion. One radical centrist text defines radical centrism as "idealism without illusions", a phrase originally from John F. Kennedy.

Radical centrists borrow ideas from the left and the right, often melding them together. Most support market-basedsolutions to social problems, with strong governmental oversight in the public interest. There is support for increased global engagement and the growth of an empowered middle class in developing countries. In America many radical centrists work within the major political parties, but they also support independent or third-partyinitiatives and candidacies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_centrism

In fairness to your earlier observation about those who display hostility towards centrists, I’m not even going to pretend I have given the idea of radical centrism any serious consideration, but fundamental reform of institutions, would be well up there in terms of woke 😳

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-09-19/woke-movement-is-global-and-america-should-be-mostly-proud

A centrist is someone who isn't constantly a slave to left or right. 

It doesn't seem like anyone else's definition of woke, @[Deleted User]. Rather it seems to be your own definition of 'woke' overlapping with your definition of a 'centrist' ie. your position as stated is that woke people are slaves to the left or right, and a centrist is the non-slave. Seems like a self-serving and self-validating position to take, but not one which is grounded upon any firm basis.

Yours are the only posts in the thread which brought up slavery as an ideological theme.

Cancel culture certainly exists. There's a large pile of burning Nike Shoes and Keurig machines that can attest to that.

Heck if you went on Twitter last night many personalities in the Republican party and MAGA were celebrating the reported 'cancellation' of Jim Acosta from CNN.

Bizarrely though, 'cancel culture' is seen as something exclusive to the left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The other day, Carla Lockhart MP (DUP) wrote to Birmingham City FC, employers of a few of the Ireland Women's team, who unfortunately were naive enough to sing that infamous chant after their match.

Lockhart wanted them to be disciplined by their Club and employer over this infraction which took place on international duty. I can't speak as to her motives, but I can only guess that she wants them to get the sack.

So no, cancel culture is not the preserve of the left.

Advertisement