Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there hostility towards centrists on social media?

Options
1234568»

Comments

Yeah saw that. She was also very vocal about the "Kill all Taigs" signs on the Twelfth bonfire pyres, and the Michaela Harte mocking... oh... wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s examples of ‘culture wars’ nonsense though, not politics, and certainly not international politicians, which is who @Larbre34 was first referring to, who were more influential on the world stage and international politics than Macy Gray or any of the hundreds of people in Western society who are considered public intellectuals -

I think of myself as a centrist, in the Blair, Macron, Clinton, Lapid mould.

And @CalamariFritti responded with -

The people you listed think nothing like you. What's sold to us today as 'centrist' is globalist, neo-libcon, expansionist f*ck everything for hail the markets in a fake goody-two-shoes, woke, climate, let's all be sensible disguise.

As much as to say - the politicians Larbre is referring to aren’t centrist, or moderate, but rather they are ‘globalist, neo-libcon… let’s all be sensible disguise’, which is basically saying that while they portray themselves as centrist, what they are is woke, let’s all be sensible sorts, but that archetype would meet your earlier standards of how you characterise a centrist - intelligent, critical thinkers capable of taking a broader objective views of everything, and anyone who says otherwise is only jealous.

Which, invoked IMO a fairly hostile response -

How dafuq could centrists be woke?

Not exactly characteristic of a centrist who is capable of taking a broader objective view and engaging in critical thought which implies an analysis of the idea being proposed, just outright dismissal of anything which doesn’t fit with how you decide a centrist is defined and what being a centrist means to you.

That’s why centrists are so frustrating - it’s impossible to know where they stand on anything or what they stand for, when everyone has their own ideas of what it means to be centrist or moderate. It stands to reason that they imagine their own political views are eminently sensible and common sense stuff.

The fact that other people are hostile towards them, is no different than the way anyone can be hostile towards other people who don’t share their political views.

Centrists don't take extremist positions. I mean that's why they're centrists.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course its possible to know where centrists stand on particular policies. Ask them about the policies!

I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal, generally speaking. Thats usually enough to make someone a centrist. But I don't fudge any topic, I have a position on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have to agree with most of this. The problem is that bringing people with you is less and less possible in our modern world.

Social media is the latest disruptor, it follows the printed word, radio, television etc., where the extremists gain control. The algorithms ensure that you only hear what you want to hear, a bit like Humphrey Appleby guiding Bernard Woolley through opinion polls. People end up where they never intended to be.

Those of us who favour centrist positions are a dwindling minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We are, until there's a decent sized war over extremist positions, which will end with the realisation that no extreme has ever endured and we'll be back at the helm again for another 70 years until the next generation of extremist fools think they have it cracked.

Social media, in its current form is, like everything else, destined to disappear when its had its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

i think one of the main issues is people who want to classify themselves and/or others with a label le.g far left/centrist etc which in most cases determines their opinions on things.

More time is spent arguing about political mantra rather than the issue itself. Peoples opinion or stance on economy could be centre right and immigration far left but the actual labels are just a distraction to the actual details,

I don’t think any other time has so many lists of determining dates identities that are worn like medals.

Advertisement