Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Beginners [ask your questions here]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Of course EVs are mainly charged at night for most people. That's fine. But if you have a big PV setup, then it's a huge benefit seeing your EV being charged directly from your solar panels during the day. Can't get more environmentally friendly than that. A car powered by the sun!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I told a white lie for the ease of explaining. It can be done, and I have an automation to get the hybrid to dump battery to 'grid' (Zappi).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

I might be missing something but either way shouldn't I be able to charge off the solar? It's just a question of using the battery right ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Yes, but as mentioned in my post above, it actually can be done either way. The EVSE from meter box and inverter CT in CU just makes it a bit more tricky as you need to set a discharge period.

You're using something like home assistant for automation I guess? If so I might pick your brain at a later stage.

• Advertisement

I ran out of battery very early today, around 18:30. So I hooked up my '96 BMW and powered my house with that for the rest of the evening, the high voltage battery plugged directly into my PV inverter for a cheap and cheerful V2H system that cost me nothing 😁

Note to self: I really should dump that piece of sh1t condenser dryer the we have, it uses 5kWh per cycle. You can buy a heat pump dryer for €379 incl delivery that will use less than 2kWh per cycle

Regarding the dryer, our old condenser died and we got one of the fancy heat pump replacements. It's great as the cloths are significantly less damaged by the drying process due to the lower heat. Down sides are it does just take longer to dry and also you need to maintain your filters more regularly. I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Yep, this Candy (8kg) was €379 a few weeks ago from here, now a bit more expensive. It seems most Irish white goods sellers sell this one, have a look at the usual sites, like DID, powercity, Harvey Norman, etc. to see which is cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Scoopsire

Heat Pump dryer are the way to go..... picked one up in powercity they're selling returns and items with blemishes from whirlpool, Indesit at reduced costs....8kg one there now for 329

https://www.powercity.ie/groups/graded

• Advertisement

I wouldn't buy a candy anything if you can afford not to. The most ubiquitous white appliances in rental accommodation, student dorms, and new built "free" grade kitchens. They're on average shite. That said, had a mini fridge from them that lasted 18 years, so shrug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

question on panels and storm damage.. don't have mine yet.... but with the wind picking up last night.. just wondering if anyone had any issues with panels being dislodged during wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

3 years in now with 20 panels. I don't give high winds a second thought. No problems at all.

No the standard roof fittings of solar panels are rated for much more wind than we've ever had in Ireland. No need to worry about it.

This is why there are regulations regarding distances from edges as wind will accelerate around build edges and even a small roof protrusion like a sky light can cause winds to pick up on one side.

Post edited by Manion on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,646 ✭✭✭micks_address

panic at the disco... my installers just turned up to install panel brackets on the roof as they are in the area doing another install and its too windy to put the panels up... doing brackets today and panels tomorrow for me... not sure when battery/invertor/wiring happening

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I sold all my white goods (apart from fridge) about a decade ago. Replaced them all with A+ rated. I have a Beko heat pump dryer that has been perfect for the last 10yrs and only last week has it stopped pumping water to the collection container. Still heats fine so I've assumed it's just the small water pump so replacement on the way for hopefully a cheap DIY fix. About €28 for the pump.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I wonder where they are in the new ratings,

They are pretty hard to get a A rated on the new scheme. Just to show how well the scheme has worked,

Old A rated are now a D or less. It's quite noticable on cheap led bulbs now. Cheap led lights are over driven to get the desired output, but the newer energy efficient ones have more, and should last longer.

https://youtu.be/YWcfz1lfD-w (efixx)

(It's not that they have got worse, it just a new scale..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LEDs have gone downhill I think, I have the downstairs covered in 1.2w LEDs when I replaced all downstairs ceilings (again around a decade ago), only had one failure and you can't get them that low anymore

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 j98c

Hi,

Might be a dumb question but I have received a quote for a 6.4kWp system (16x400w panels) that is supplied with a 3.68kW inverter. Does this seem right? For a system with this many panels, is it possible to have such a small inverter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭con747

I would expect a 6kw inverter for that system unless the panels are facing a few different directions then a 5kw inverter but no way would I accept a 3.68kw one unless there is a solid explanation why.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

6kwh inverter minimum for that. The 3.6 is a joke or a typo

If it's a pure east west split, the inverter size is probably about right. Still I would ask for a 6kW inverter as it is barely more expensive to buy and inverters get on the highest levels of efficiency from a pretty low load these days, so no need to oversize the arrays compared to the inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Depends on if it's in the Republic or not. In the north I believe they are limited to 3.6Kw as the max export to the grid, so it could be correct - albeit fairly miserly on behalf of the powers-that-be. If it's the republic, then yeah.....5Kw or ideally 6Kw is your only man. :-)

Are you in Northern Ireland, the inverter is limited to a 3 6kwh output there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

3.6 kw. Is it any wonder the fitters up north are solely working down in the free state

That coupled with no grant assistance

Picked that one up just now, thanks a million!

Gave my old Bosch condenser dryer away for free on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cobham

Can you opt to have Eddi/hotwater take energy first and then to battery? Or would it make more sense to use direct solar via boost to heat water. We still have to set up App for Eddi... installer due back to finish off few bits so will get walk thru hopefully.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

No, unless the solar and batteries are separate. You'll save more money by using the batteries.

Maybe set a timer on the eddi to boost the immersion on night rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cobham

I am missing the immersion timer we used to have. The sink element was enough for showers and kitchen. We have gas but never used it for water heating as did not want full tank heated. We dont have night rate yet and no EV either so battery a bit superfluous at the moment. First installed in Sept and HOT water then after battery filled and still hot enough by morning but now days shorter and incoming mains cold water is very cold. With old style meter, the excess exported to grid is turning the dial backwards. 😉 Will have to get the smart meter to avail of the night rates.....

Advertisement