Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Doesn't stop Konami contracting Kojima studios. Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it or if it's going to be something ignorable from Bloober Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

If I were to play devil's advocate, her CV reads like a bit of a jobber actress with some very minor background roles as one off side characters in a few games and TV shows, before landing the acting role for the main character in an English translation of an at the time unknown Japanese game from a newly formed development studio (I'm aware of the previous pedigree of key people at the studio, but they were nevertheless just getting started as a team), which turned out to be a hit thanks primarily to the gameplay and visual design. She's had no other major role since and has been riding that gravy train for a few years but now finds that the train looks like it's going to continue to run just fine without her.

I've always felt that voice actors tend to overestimate their worth when it comes to games. There's probably a good 100 people who are far more important to the success of a game like Bayonetta, from designers to artists to programmers to writers. There are certain types of more narrative focussed games where acting work is more integral but this probably isn't one of them. Swap out the voice and the game probably would have been pretty much the same. Swap out one or two coders or level designers who's names you don't even know and it might have been vastly less polished or accomplished.

There's also absolutely no context here for what she was asked to do for the 4k. They've replaced her with Jennifer Hale who is a far more prolific voice actress and won't have accepted a low ball offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's rumoured to be multiple SH titles in the works. I'd guess a few remasters/remakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I'm just glad they are finally announcing something so the non-stop 'insider' leaks of the last 2 years can finally stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

From talking to actual english voice actors they all say videogame work is the worst paying but also requires the most amount of work compared to cartoons or anime. The recording sessions are way longer and usually most come out of them with vocal damage due to the intensity of the schedule. They really should be getting paid a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Indeed. I can guarantee that Colleen O'Shaughnessy made exponentially more money voicing Tails in the 2 Sonic movies than she did in all the times she played him in games combined and with a lot less booth time required. I'm sure that pay check still would have had 3 less zeroes than Ben Schwartz or Idris Elba.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

From reading online (so totally legit) it seems like that $4,000 would be 4 days, with 4 hours in the boot on each day. A month's wages for less than half a week's work? That is pretty decent money when you ask the person earning €12 an hour digging holes in the cold.

But the thing with work like this is that it is not hourly. You don't get 40 hours a week to bank on. You might get one booking and then nothing else for the year/years. So that 4K might need to sustain you much longer than the person getting the wage.

I'm going to get hammered for this opinion. I would expect more than $4000...but...they are just reading a script in their own normal voice. Would you say there is acting involved? I wouldnt. They could pick anyone off the street with a nice voice.

I get that they are using their voice/accent as a career choice. But that's not the problem of the game studio. They are basically saying "I should be paid more because this is my career". Well your career choice is low skill, poor pay. Sorry.

They take these gigs because they can't land a tv/movie acting role. Or it's filler when there's a drought.

As some one that does amateur dramatics that's a gross misunderstanding about how much work goes into acting and how much talent you need for it.

It's not just showing up with anyone that has a decent voice. If you want an example of how that works out see any early ps1 horror game when they took the English speakers in the company to provide the voices.

From speaking with one of the most prominent voice actors she says that she would record each line three times for the director if they have the time. Also the majority of the time the actors aren't acting against each other, they are brought in individually and it's very hard to act against nothing. The worst part of videogame work is all the grunts and incidental sound effects that are very difficult to do and are the harshest on vocals.

Fair enough. I'd imagine they deserve more than $4000. But that's not to say having a famous voice should make you rich. Should it even be enough to base a career on? Or should it be part of a wider acting career. Like I said, they're gigs you'd pick up when you're not getting any acting roles.

• Advertisement

That's kind of like saying shouldn't a model not get paid more because they have a famous look. Or a footballer just because they play well.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with people asking for the money they think they and there work is worth and I imagine this is going to become a concern for everyone this year when their annual salary increase are more than likely going to be well below inflation.

Voice acting is a tough gig. The deadlines for delivering the work are very unreasonable and while 4k seems like a lot the work can be sporadic with large patches when there's no jobs. It's not like they have a guaranteed wage.

I'm all for these people fighting for more job security especially in this climate of Ayn Rand-esque neoliberalism where corporations are making record profits and screwing people over on wages.

It's that old thing of you don't pay an artist to paint a picture you pay them for the talent they developed over hundreds of hours to be able to paint the picture you can't.

OK I can see I'm completely ignorant on the subject. Thanks for educating me, I meant no offence. I hope they get the pay they deserve. I do unfortunately also think they could be replaced with cheaper labour. It is not my opinion that they should be, I just think it's most likely the outcome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The other thing is that $4000 is a drop in the ocean for a game of this scale, the marketing budget alone will range into the millions, all of which has now been thrown into chaos.

I bet the marketing manager would only love to go back in time and give her a raise.

The reason there's a union is to protect them from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah but acting is critically important to a movie and can make or break the whole project. For many games it's a very distant minor concern behind gameplay, design, performance, stability, art style and graphic quality. All of these things come from a huge team of talented designers, programmers, artists, writers, qa etc. almost all of whom don't get to build a profile, don't get to claim sole ownership of the character, and don't get to stamp their feet and call for boycotts if they're not called up to work on the sequel like this voice actor did.

There are games where the quality of the acting matters. The likes of The Last of Us or Red Dead Redemption come to mind. But Bayonetta and Sonic are not that type of game. Even the likes of Final Fantasy is massively narrative driven and gets by with pretty terrible voice acting.

Salaries are not based purely on talent or on how hard the work you do is in any industry. They're based on supply and demand, how important your skill actually is in the given environment and whether someone else could do the exact same job for less without impacting the quality of the output. Replacing a voice artist won't impact the overall quality of most (not all) games. Replacing a voice artist massively changes a movie however.

To give a different example, while voice actors earn more in movies than in games, 3D artists earnings are much more comparable (hard to find hard data but there are polls indicating games pay more) because their contribution holds similar importance in both industries.

There are games where the quality of the acting matters. The likes of The Last of Us or Red Dead Redemption come to mind. But Bayonetta and Sonic are not that type of game. Even the likes of Final Fantasy is massively narrative driven and gets by with pretty terrible voice acting.

The problem is that people in all those games are still not paid anywhere near their worth. The voice actors have to come up with an appropriate voice for the character usually off the cuff without any context, often severely strain their voices doing all the screams, grunts etc. and often have to double as voice director for no additional pay. Something is f**ked up if VAs are coming out and stating they get paid more money on indie games than AAA. The Guardian are apparently going to have an in depth report about the poor pay in the field later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

They can end up being pretty substantial part of a character, David Hayter as solid snake I remember being a big deal when he didn't get a chance to reprise his role in the MGS series. It was a pretty iconic voice and he said he really stretched himself doing old snake in MGS4.

I do kinda feel bad for him as it's not often people really get to put a stamp on like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So Jason Schreier has reported on the story and has a very different version of events from Platinum / Nintendo. Worth noting that Taylor denies this so hard to know the real story. Still, the Bloomberg story is based on studio sources and documents so it definitely seems like there’s something to it.

If she was only offered $4,000 that is of course ludicrously low. At least $15,000 would be a very different offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

Not sure we’ll ever know the full story. Money obviously isn’t an issue, you can be sure JH is getting more than $4k - is it possible they didn’t want her for the third game but maybe have considered themselves contractually obliged to offer her a contract first?

Or she overplayed her hand in negotiations and they ended up walking away - but I’d be surprised if this was the case, if it came out that she misrepresented the contract she was offered she might find it difficult to find work again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You would have had to imagine there was something iffy about what Taylor was saying that they were only offering her 4,000, and then when negotiations fell through they brought in Jennifer Hale who would definitely cost a lot more.

If Bloomberg are reporting it based not just on interviews but also documentation, and I think VGC have corroborated it with different sources and which back up Platinum's claim about Taylor seeking residuals... I'd be inclined to side with Platinum at this stage.

Honestly there's a bang of arse covering from platinum and Nintendo from that. I'm pretty sure Taylor knows exactly what she is worth and I kind of find it very unlikely she asked for six figures and residuals. I mean residuals in voice acting is just ridiculous. Would not be surprised if it's a smear campaign to counter act the bad press.

A lot isn't adding up, and likely the truth is somewhere in the middle. But I bet a scanned copy of the contract offer would quickly put this to bed. Wonder why we haven't seen that?

Also, where is $450 million coming from? For a series that has 3 million in sales? Most of which was at a heavy discount.

I'm not sure I agree with residuals. They share none of the risk, they are not on the hook for any of the loss, but they should get more if it does well?

All that will happen is what happens in film, and movies never turn a "profit". Every expense gets linked to the project by the studio and the actors never see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭McFly85

I could see it both ways - it could be arse covering, but she could also have easily overestimated her value to the project - especially if she’s been given sketchy profit info for the previous games(450m seems incredibly high). It looks like she doesn’t do much VA anyway, her last credit is 8 years ago.

Regardless it’s probably a good thing for the industry to have pay practices in public discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm somewhat torn on this. While I'm all for people getting paid properly, at the end of the day, I don't think the voice of bayonetta is the defining thing about those games. People certainly aren't lining up to buy them just because of the voice acting.

off the top of my head, outside of Nolan North, Jennifer hale & Troy Baker , who are at this stage are so prolific, they may as well be classed as 'generic videogame voices' there are only a few characters I can think of where a change to a different VA would be or have been detrimental to a franchise, Namely , Master Chief & Cortana, Kratos, Sam Fisher, Marcus Fenix, Batman / Joker in the Arkham series, Solid Snake, off the top of my head.

And of all those examples you've given that would cause a detrimental change the only ones that haven't been recast at some stage are Marcus Fenix, Master Chief and Cortana.

T.C Carson was recast as Kratos, David Hayter was recast as Snake, Michael Ironside was recast as Sam Fisher and the Kevin Conroy/ Mark Hamill duo were recast as Batman/Joker in Arkham Origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I read a Twitter thread from voice artist Steve Blum who talked about how as a voice artist, generally if you're being asked to perform or audition for a role that was already played by someone else, it's at least common courtesy to find out why (to ensure voice artists aren't being mis-treated). He and many other VA's have tweeted in support of Jennifer Hale saying she's one of the most diligent and respectful people in that regard, and is always looking out for the rights of voice artists.

The more I think about this the less it makes sense. This would have been Taylor and her agent and probably their team negotiating this. There's no way all of them would have put forward such a unrealistic proposal. There's also been no evidence brought forward about a six figure sum, just hearsay.

Taylor doesn't seem to be out for money either and just asking people to donate to charity.

Jennifer Hale getting **** over this though seems like some gamergate nonsense and these morons just relishing the excuse to harass a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

That kinda reinforces my point, there was widespread backlash against the recasting of all of them apart from Kratos. I dont think there was much noise about Jennifer hale taking over as bayonetta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jennifer hale was already doing a lot of voices for the game, a lot of minor stuff and apparently a big one.

She's meant to be already playing an other version of Bayonetta. Whatever amount Taylor was offered it's pretty easy to see how a more talented VA who is capable of doing much more varied voices going by the breath of roles she's had would be able to play off her own performances if doing both.

Advertisement