Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Done...

The sign-up form is poorly enough designed (postcode pulldown options are only applicable to Dublin areas, contact numbers format is geared towards landlines, backwards date of birth format, joint account email address incorrectly titled, etc.).

Anyway, one interesting thing is that you have the option to switch AFTER the 14-day cooling off period. I guess this only makes sense to do if you are currently on a slightly better rate, but just for the short-term, and are switching while the offer is still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭phester28

Seems like they pay in 12 month increments : See response when I asked if I have to sign up for micro gen once I port from EE to BGE

"We need to allow 30 days before we can update your account to the micro generation. This is to ensure the data is readable by ESB. You will receive payment a year after you first started exporting to the grid. "

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Trampas

I got the following from obs. I’m just finishing my contract with ei on standard 24 hour rate

Smart Offer is required. Offer is not eligible for this record as per the MPRN eligibility rules. MPRN parameters which decide the eligibility are - Meter Category, CTF. for example, HH offer is valid only if Smart meter and CTF is 03 or 04

They enable the features but keep you on a standard plan so put you on a smart plan when not

Post edited by Trampas on

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

I'm with EI and looking to switch to OneBigSwtich. I have a smart meter but I'm not on a smart plan (although I do get separate day/night/peak units on my bills). The NightSaver day/night rates from BGE would be over €300 cheaper in my case than the 24H rates. Does anybody know if I can sign up for BGE NightSaver via OBS - or will I be forced onto a 24H plan (or even worse, a so-called "smart" plan - all of which I've seen are €500+ more expensive than NightSaver alternatives!)?

The OBS form is very vague. I don't know how they get away without detailing your exact plan/rates before you hit the "Switch Now" button!?

In the form, it's possible to put in separate day/night meter readings. While I get these on my bill, I can't see the current day/night split on my meter. Anybody know if this is possible? Otherwise, I may just increase day and night meters pro-rata based on my day/night usage in recent months..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Is that saying to avail of the OBS offer you must be on the standard 24 hour rate plan but actually have a smart meter installed?

If so, it seems very odd as it doesn't state that anywhere in their T&Cs.

Last time I renewed with ei I said I didn’t want a smart meter plan and I wanted a standard plan. They would suggest they’ll turn on the features of the meter so you can see your usage. So doesn’t matter what you’re on. Sneaky tactic.

All I see there is a link to various BGE rates. It does not tell me if I can avail of a NightSaver plan when I have a smart meter (with day/night/peak breakdown on my bill).

Can anybody translate this?

"Smart offer is required" - Does that mean you have to sign up for a smart meter plan if you have a smart meter?

Are you just automatically put on a plan based on your MPRN details (without choice)?

Btw, I contacted OBS but took 5 days to get an reply which did not at all answer my question. Don't want to wait another 5 days for another unhelpful reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mel123

Can anyone who has signed up to the OBS offer tell me how much it is if you break the contract?

• Advertisement

You might have got your smart meter enabled even on a standard plan. You don’t even need to be on a smart meter plan. How you can’t even get off a smart meter plan is a joke. If you’re on a smart meter plan obs can’t do anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Off topic, but I really can't understand how it can possibly be legal for providers to not allow you to switch back from a previous smart plan. It's a bit like someone going with a bill pay plan for their phone and not being allowed to change to a PAYG plan after the contract period ends. It's absolutely crazy and I personally think the providers or regulator should be challenged on the matter.

Rant over... (and I'm not even one of the unfortunates stuck on a smart plan!)

I agree Escapees... My whole switchover experience stinks now compared to previous years (20 mins on Bonkers/Switcher - where have all of those deals gone?). Another big problem is that the smart plans really are pretty awful. Looks like they work out a good bit more expensive in pretty much all scenarios. The normal day and night rates are generally a good bit higher than non-smart plans, then on top of that you get even more penalised for "peak" usage. And if you want "Free electricity" on a Saturday for example, you are paying a very high standard day rate the rest of the time!

Rant over... ;-)

In the hope of helping others, here is a summary of my OBS sign-up (I have a smart meter but I'm not on a smart plan thankfully):

I've signed up and the OBS summary page seemed to indicate that I am being put on "Urban 24H" plan (which is funny because my bill has a DG2 code which I think is rural - I'll take the urban rate if I can get it because the standing charge is €281 as opposed to €352). I entered separate day/night meters (which were "estimated" by reading the current total - the only one I can see! - then adding day/night units to my last bills readings on a pro-rata basis, based on my day/night usage in recent months - confused yet?). I was hoping that entering separate day/night might prompt OBS to put me on a day/night "NightSaver" plan with BGE but no such luck (I may be able to switch plan once I'm probably switched over to BGE).

Anyway, generally I'm happy with the outcome (despite the desperate frustration looking for simple answers!). The 33% discounted unit rates are the best I've found by a good bit (even if you get stuck on a 24H plan). Hopefully, no nasty surprises during the switchover. Will post back here if any updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Just my experience. I was a bit reluctant to try OBS based on negative reviews online which claimed communication and speed were a major issue. Most of these reviews were a couple of years old. I started the switch on September 26th (rural 24 hr non smart meter) Got an instant confirmation from OBS and an order and DD confirm from BE the following day. On October 5th I got a welcome note from BE confirming account number etc. I have since received the final bill from the previous supplier which will be debited this week. I also moved supplier on March 18th but it was well into April before final confirmation/account number came through.

Post edited by Cape Clear on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

My understanding is that if you have a smart meter you can stay on a 24 hr plan or choose a smart plan but can not have a day/night plan. To have a day/night plan you need to have a day/night meter installed instead of the smart meter.

Regarding you bill showing day, night & peak unit readings are you charged at the day rate for the sum of the units (day, night & peak) shown on the bill?

Yes, I'm charged the same 24H/day rate for all units, even though they are displayed separately as day/night/peak on the bill. As you say, it seems to be the case that you can't sign up for day/night plans, even though you have a smart meter from which these figures are readily available. Another aspect of the current setup that is frustrating to say the least! It's like the suppliers have recently collectively decided to close down any offers or options that could help the consumer to save money. Not surprising that record profits lead to even further greed (human nature)! OneBigSwitch seems to be the only half-decent offer left (for now). It feels strange to be celebrating finding a 24H rate as low as 32c! Last year, I would have been aiming for about half that.

If you have a number of smart meter bills you could analyse the day/night usage & if the night usage is around 30% or greater then you could ask for the smart meter to be replaced with a day/night meter. You would really need a years worth of bills to properly analyse your usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 toshiba01

I keep reading that Smart Meter plans are more expensive but looking at EI for example they are virtually identical & no higher peak tariffs either on a smart plan. Am I missing something?

I'm comparing versus a NightSaver plan below as both have day/night rates.

Home Electric+ Night Boost (Smart Plan)

Day 43.68c per kWh Night 21.55c per kWh

Green Electricity NightSaver (Day / Night Meter)

Day 43.68c per kWh Night 21.80c per kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

I switched last year from BG to EI. Was hoping to sign up for this OBS offer end of the month but I called EI and they said I'm still in contract until 7/12/22. I requested the switch 29/10/21. It took over 5 weeks. Is that normal?

What rate do you end up paying for the period you are out of contract until the new discounted one? The full rate of the provider you are leaving?

The rate you were charged should be available on your final BG bill. It's not normal for there to be a gap of five weeks. Whenever I switch I'm billed by the new supplier from the date I initiated the switch & using the meter readings submitted when initiating the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rosiechecking

Has anyone signed up with OBS and received confirmation of exact unit rates?

I am trying to check Nightsaver Urban Domestic unit rates, vat and 33% discount included.

Website quotes 23.53 as standard tariff excl vat, but also quotes 18.65, vat and 33% discount included. Don't think the maths there work out, or am I mistaken?

Not a huge unit difference (1.47), but are the other rates as stated?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Fishdoodle

Nightsaver (Urban) Day 34.72 incl vat , Night 18.65. It's under the Electricity Rates tab.

Signed up this week -haven't received confirmation of rates, but they gave confirmation of 33% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭zell12

The Energia EV plan has gone up again to 47.77c/day 13.75/night

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭feelings

Electric Ireland offered 18% discount on gas electricity or stay on 8.5% discount with 200 EUR applied in credit. Will most likely take the 18% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

My MPRN is MCC12. Would this be eligible for the OBS deal? It's a smart meter but has only ever been on a 24 hour rate since it was installed.

Just seen on their site that the BG OBS offer is ending soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Can anyone recommend the best tariff at the moment other than OBS offer?

We've just moved into the property and they cannot sign us up as you have to be a resident over 14 months.

We have a newly installed smart meter but no details of the current plan as the previous owner left no detail

Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

So annoying that its the "final few days". My contract isn't up until November 4th. It'll be gone by then. Guess I will have to eat the 100e exit fee from EI and sign up.

Advertisement