Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

This is actual more of Storm than Storm Opehila was in Dublin last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Opheilia was 5 years ago but yes even here in the northwest it was gusty but so calm now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very windy here in Kerry, big showers going through too.

Highest gusts so far in the SW.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Roaches Point gusting 54 knots (100 km/h) at 2am

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ah yes I remember it well! I think it was Ophelia that took the coast road out ?

• Advertisement

Ah OK but I was not in that debate! For me it is simply cost. And to be accurate lighting a small fire is not equivalent to putting a whole central heating system on. May as well say that turning the cooker on is central heating!!!! Which I have done in the past to avoid lighting the fire... As I do not have central heating. lol.. Each to his/her own.

Wild and loudly wuthering out here.

No name?

The met ie map with the yellow peril..

Like old times.

Please take care out there. Snugged in here with fuel etc at the ready. I had ten years training in the North Isles... Worst wind I was out in there was gusts of 124 MILES per hour

I had a smallholding with livestock so had to be out in it. Great rocks hurled across shore side fields and a neighbour's hen house literally took off. Complete with hens.

Memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Awful, just awful. Rain and wind yesterday and last night. Wind still howling this morning. Pure muck.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible night in Galway very strong winds gusting up to 60mph with heavy showers just had a gust now of 65mph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I was one of 15,000 who went to the Cork County Hurling Final yesterday in some of the worst rain I have ever seen. Incredible crowd in the circumstances. When you see pictures and videos of all the flooding caused throughout Cork city, flooding that arose within a few hours of that rain starting, the grounds staff in Pairc ui Chaoimh (and the people who did a pitch upgrade a while back) deserve medals for producing a pitch that never turned muddy and was playable until, say, the last 10 minutes. God knows how many litres of water it had absorbed by then. Incredible how much better pitches are these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

acquaintance of mine made similar remark earlier - why no official storm name for it, it was a far worse weather event than other so called storms that we were warned about often for days on end dare I say over hype as usual ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm in the same boat as you, no central heating. Open fires and stoves in individual rooms is all I have for heat at the moment plus a couple of superser gas heaters although I try not to use them unless the room I need to heat is particularly cold, say on a very windy day like today. The gas heaters produce a lot of water as a by-product hence why I only use them as a last resort.

In any case, whether it's a lit fire or/and a gas heater, any of them in use is the equivalent of putting the heating on.

Wondering that myself.. re no name I mean. Quite ferocious out here all night and now.

Deeply deeply thankful I do not need to go outside today. Well, just grab the part sack of coal eggs that I " meant" to bring in last night... Just listening is bad enough.. I guess the postman will not cross today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Gusty here in South Wicklow but nothing wild. Funny how you get used to the summer calm and when we get the first proper winds of the season it seems a lot wilder than it is. If we had the same winds here in January we'd hardly acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Why was there no name for this "storm"? I wonder why...

No orange warranted wind gusts, a few orange warranted sustained winds in local exposed areas. Hardly warrants a name now does it? If this was named, would have been up there with Lorenzo in terms of widespread green on these tables and we know how infamous of a flop Lorenzo was!

*Wind measured here in km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They did! St Finbarr's won! Fair play to them all for playing in that weather!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Ah the Barrs won the county title- a long wait I think. I know a loyal supporter, I must sent her a text to congratulate.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I'd say the downpours with it made the wind seem worse. Still, a few trees down afterwards. Lucky escape for a woman and child in North Dublin whose car took a smack of a falling tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Kerry, Tipperary, Waterford

• Met Éireann Weather Warning
    • Spells of heavy rain overnight Tuesday through to Wednesday night will lead to localised flooding. 
    • Valid: 04:00 Wednesday 19/10/2022 to 22:00 Wednesday 19/10/2022
    • Issued: 15:59 Monday 17/10/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Temperatures for tonight 0c to 5c especially for the Midlands right now it's 6c here in Ireland

The night is still and chill.... Very chilly.... Feels colder than any night so far this year.

But the silence is deep and restful... shhhh!!!!

West Mayo offshore

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Big variation of temperatures across the country at the moment. 0c at Mount Dillon and 15c at Valentia atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Orange - Rain warning for Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain on Tuesday night, Wednesday and Wednesday night with the possibility of thundery downpours, will lead to localised flooding. Disruption is likely.

Valid: 22:00 Tuesday 18/10/2022 to 00:00 Thursday 20/10/2022

Issued: 11:32 Tuesday 18/10/2022

Status Yellow - Rain warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Meath

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Heavy rain on Wednesday and Wednesday night, with the possibility of thundery downpours, will lead to localised flooding and some disruption.

Valid: 04:00 Wednesday 19/10/2022 to 00:00 Thursday 20/10/2022

Issued: 11:32 Tuesday 18/10/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Foggy start after a cold night. Now we have blue skies and sun. Warm.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Looking at the forecast rain it doesn't seem that Wicklow should be included in the orange warning. Precautionary maybe? Definitely a yellow though and knowing the roads around here we'll be flooded for sure. The last big deluge we had in this area was the first week of September and we weren't included in the warning that time. Hopefully it's the opposite scenario this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The winds will be east to SE a lot of tomorrow, places like Wicklow usually get pretty wet with easterly onshore winds. I know when I lived in Annamoe that a SE wind in particular was always pretty much guaranteed to give deluges in any frontal systems.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The bear is coming , sorry..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Advertisement