Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Why would anyone waste their time watching this when he's been proven time and time again to be full of ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

From the cold war onwards, The accepted line from all western nuclear powers has been not to specify what their response will be to any form of nuclear attack, Macron chose to explicitly break ranks on that. You can decide for yourself what he was at.

Also worth noting that Frances left wing and greens have organise strikes among oil workers and are planning fuel protests. A rerun of 1930s when the french communists did everything to undermine France's defence against the Germans in service of their Russian masters

But Europe Yay, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭rogber

Saw that too. Beyond disgusting. So many war crimes you can't keep up with them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Dramatic footage of Kyiv police shooting down a drone over the city with their own firearms :

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In one thing we agree, putin has two hopes of marching on Europe; none and feck all. His military have been shown to be more bark than bite and that's against a below par much smaller military force with some recent NATO training. That they put to good use and are learning very quickly. If, as many Russian sympathisers need to believe as a coping mechanism for failure after failure, they were actually fighting NATO ground sea and air forces, Russia's sea fleet(which already ran and hid from a nation that doesn't even have a navy) would be at the bottom of the Black Sea, anything Russian larger than a kite would be blown out of the sky and their ground forces would be flattened.

However we in the "West" have no need to be convinced of anything in the overall picture. Beyond all spin and propaganda the facts are clear. Milllions wouldn't be displaced, tens of thousands of men women and kids(including Russians) wouldn't be dead and many more crippled if putin's Russia hadn't invaded another sovereign state. And before the usual whataboutery wheels in, millions in the "West" including myself opposed the Yanks invading Iraq or Afghanistan.

In Mother Russia Assange would have fallen from a six floor window, drinking tea, with ten self inflcted knife wounds in his back years ago.

And putin isn't "determined to cut ties", those ties were cut for him by Western economies. He had no choice in the matter. Well he did. He could have not invaded Ukraine and tried to take Kyiv(IMHO he might well have gotten away with taking "just" Donbas, but hubris came a knocking). The same putin was only too happy to suck off the teat of "our financial matrix" for over twenty years directly fuelling Russian industry and commerce. To the degree that he shot himself and Mother Russia in both feet with both barrels with this war. Not just oil and gas either, but there's a reason the vast majority of capacity pipelines for both were built into the West rather than to his CIS "friends". Their manufacturing industry has near ground to a halt because of all that desire for and now cut off off of "our financial matrix".

Annnnd we're back to "sanctions are hurting you more than Russia" stuff. You do know the more it keeps being said the more it's obvious it's clearly working. Even in putin's big leverage gas, European nations are nearly at full capacity for this winter. I can get on an international safety certified flight, I can go out and buy a car, PC, whatever with all mod cons produced in the "West", paid for with money made in a growing economy, where Russians can't and their homegrown cars now can't even fit basics like airbags. Russia's exports to anywhere are now smaller than Ireland's, a nation on the edge of the Atlantic with a population 1/30th it's size. He wishes it was more like the USSR. At least then they had a whole separate world and economy.

Oh and rather than decreasing the size and threat of NATO, as was one of his BS claims, the damned fool has near doubled the length of the NATO/Russian border, has increased the resolve of European and Western powers, who had seen Russia as if not a "friend" not an "enemy". And even worse for the 3D chess master he's giving hated America an extremely cheap way to bleed out their old rivals for an absolutely tiny fraction of the cost Afghanistan was for them and with none of the coffins draped in the Stars and Stripes. Much has been spun that the US and the evil West baited Mother Russia into this war. OK, let's agree they did. Russia: Always the victim, never the bride. However if you believe that you must also have to believe that the Russians and putin were so bloody stupid that they knew this, took the bait and walked into that same trap.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

It's really not. I spent a month travelling through Russia back in the early noughties and came across some of the most lovely warm people on my trip round the world. Okay i didn't bother with Moscow or Saint Petersburg as i dislike big cities so maybe it's different there?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Other countries would not use nuclear weapons if Russia attacked Ukraine with a nuclear weapon. That's a fact. Not a fan of Macron, but he is just being direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

What good is nuclear deterrence if you completely show your hand though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Belarusian Ministry of Defense: about 170 tanks and 100 guns and mortars will come to us from Russia

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

A lot of recently recruited Russian conscripts dying on the frontlines. That tells you two things. They were running out of cannon fodder "recruited" from the occupied areas, Russian prisons and Russian volunteers.

Obviously they still have experienced soldier's left but aren't willing to lose them in ww1 style attacks on bakmut etc. These extra 200k troop's they recruited will probably prolong their effort another 8 months. After that Putin will need another massive mobilisation drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭thomil

That is not quite correct. In addition to France's fleet of four ballistic missile submarines, the country also sports two squadrons of around 20 Rafale-B fighters each that are equipped and trained to deliver the ASMP nuclear-tipped cruise missile, namely Fighter Squadron 1/4 at Saint Dizier - Robinson Air Base and Fighter Squadron 2/4 at Istres - Le Tubé. These two squadrons, as well as the aerial refueling group formed to support them, technically fall under the French Air Force's Strategic Air Forces command, however that is somewhat of a misnomer dating back to the days of the Mirage-IVP nuclear bomber and the S3 land-based IRBM base at Plateau d'Albion.

The IRBMs were decommissioned without replacement in 1996 and the Mirage IVP was replaced first by the Mirage 2000N, a nuclear capable version of the regular Mirage 2000 fighter aircraft, and later by the Rafale-B. However, the limited range of both the Rafale and the ASMP, the latter having a range of only around 500 kilometers, make this more of a tactical or battlefield nuke system and less some form of strategic deterrent system.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

To think people actually thank some of the utter tripe posted on here

Putin has to be killed , it’s horrific to think this putrid little midget is holding us all to ransom, once that little twerp gives the go ahead for nukes there is no way possible to undo unless there’s a mutiny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

There's certainly a different attitude to strength and weakness in Russia. Far more unsympathetic, Darwinian attitudes really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Sort of thing the Nazis did to London in WW2 with the V1 and then V2.

The Ukrainian armed forces call them mopeds because of the sound.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement

Who says the Russians don't have a sense of humour - even if it is gallows. Your man was no spring chicken either.

russia is like many organisations that have a poisoned culture, change the figure heads as many times as we like but the poison will still bubble through again.

Defeat of the empire is the only solution, since I found the prison of nations idea I believe breaking russia up is the most desirable outcome. That is not a prediction.

I don't see Navalny etc. as saviours at all, quite the opposite, one just has to investigate his past and watch some Central and Eastern European commentators talk of him.

All of what we see is a mindset. From aggressive tourists abroad to Bucha or Irpin. It all comes from the same twisted thinking.

There's some truth to the bloated arrogant West type statements. We, collectively, didn't want to believe bad things were coming so CE Europeans were dismissed in their warnings. We preferred to reduce the arsenals of democracy because peace through trade and other such "thoughts & prayers" strategies. Plus there were many nonsense projects that needed funding - being penny wise and pound foolish comes to mind.

Dealing with people is the same all over. I can't stop a thief robbing stuff from my farm if the thief really wants to. What I can do is make it such a hassle, my neighbour becomes a more desirable target. Nasty but true.

We need to take our adversaries more seriously, even if they have **** armies and **** technologies, they can still do a lot of harm to the world. There's a CCP shaped elephant sitting in the room currently, with it's police outpost in our capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Someone doesn't want the english speaking world to see what Russian TV is saying:

This is probably an automated removal. I wouldn't be remotely surprised in a concerted flag/complaint campaign involving Russians, sympathisers and right wing trolls simply because she reports for The Daily Beast. Will be interesting to see how YouTube responds.

I want to thank this but I can't tell if it's a trap or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Belarusian Defense: 400 Russian tanks, armored vehicles and troop carriers join our joint forces

could be a false flag attack on Belarus by Ukraine soon

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Last week all of the regular YouTubers who comment on the war had their videos demonetized. That decision was swiftly reversed after a massive outcry. I hope the same thing happens here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Yeah the big truck thing with all the right angles on it's surface has stealth. Even I can see that and I know nothing about stealth.

Ukrainians in awe of the quality of the body 'armour' the Orcs are using:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭20silkcut

well it was a soccer match so it was a very specific event not a travel through like you did. But the most eye opening factor was the lack of interest from the police in preventing or protecting Irish fans from the violence. Now some of them could have walked into it themselves foolishly. But he said the Irish fans basically had to gather in a big group to deter attacks and basically jump on the subway and get away from the stadium as quickly as possible. Maybe some other posters here were at that game or knew someone who was at it? It does seem to be one that stands out for violence out of all the Irish games down through the years. It was Sept 2002. Euro 2004 qualifier v Russia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement