Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Update, went past Besburritos yesterday and there's pages from newspapers covering the windows. Either being renovated or closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭crl84

Only opened last year, so i'd say closed down. Never seemed to be busy, and the quality/service was poor the few times I used it.

e: actually opened at the end of 2020 🤯

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭vafankillar

any one know what the story is with the red door or whatever it's called? never even saw it opened, probably duke and castle last time i was in there

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It was basically Roost 2.0 during the days when there was a hard cap on how many people you could have in a pub during the various periods of indoor/outdoor/substantial meal/whatever restrictions. They don't need the space in normal circumstances; but it is owned by Fitzgerald and still licenced.

There is planning to convert the entire nightclub to student accom, retaining a small pub-licensed restaurant.

ah right, wasn't up in maynooth much during the lockdown cycles. seemed to do okay when it was duke & coachman (not castle as i previously said lol) but maybe i was only there on busy times. was it alwasy fitzgerald or only since red door?

roost seems like a bit of fortress these days for a late drink (probably cos of covid hangover & students) was wondering if a more specific nightcluby place might help spread the load.

• Advertisement

He bought it off Mercantile who ran it as the Duke & Coachmen. Messy ownership over the years prior

having a few pints in mcmahons tonight, went towards roost. students only for the late bar. never saw that before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

How do they know you're not a mature student? 😀

May be asking for student cards (or MU student cards if they really wanted to stop the old getting in - I've had student cards for two different part time evening/weekend university courses!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The Costa by Tesco has opened. Not sure when, but there looked to be a good few people in there a minute ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Fine job.

the other units down by Obriens in the tesco car park will be open soon aswell. I heard it's a Dominos but not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

I like Costa as much as the next person but the illuminated sign going down the side of it is truly awful. It's miles too big and overbearing. Can't believe they got planning for it.

Agree, very American in style. I feel middle aged saying it, but it's an eyesore

Knowing KCCs enforcement, they probably didn't ask for a sign of that type and just did it anyway.

It didn't look even vaguely done when I was down there *yesterday afternoon*, so they really did finish it fast.

They've got the steel frames up but no more, not sure how quick they'll be

Domino's, Romayo's and Camile Thai I thought, but I think I got that from this thread at some point 😋

jesus another romayos? used to like having a choice of chipper when i lived elsewhere, the monopoly is a bit much. also surprised at how few chinese options there is in maynooth (1 now that the one in newtown is gone?). used to have about 8 i could order from in dublin. tho there's more pizza options here for sure

assume with costa done you'd be able to walk behind it along the shops again instead of only along the car park walkway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Hopefully its a decent romayos. That one at greenfields is appalling. Horrible horrible food. So hit and miss its not funny.

The one at Newtown (above Newtown Inn) has gone?

With all the talk of food places, anyone care to list their top restaurants / cafes / takeaways in Maynooth?

Restaurants:

We've still loads to get through but loved Avenue, Picaderros and Donatellos. Enjoyed Ely (though it was cold inside) and thought Bistro 23 was a bit disappointing.

Take aways:

Really like Ramayos at Greenfield and Lana, don't think we've tried elsewhere yet.

• Advertisement

I'd be more concerned about yet another pizza place and a third Thai than what will probably mainly be where they manage delivery orders from (so much parking space) for the chipper. When Lana was still Kin Khao it was very very different Thai, but now we have two and maybe soon three identikits.

Maynooth has still never had a decent sit down Indian. The place out the back of Londis does the best food of any there has ever been in the town but it has a few seats at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Has there been any mention of a Subway opening in Maynooth? I believe there was one on campus before. My fella is dying for one nearby!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lob a complaint into KCC if they don't have planning. They refused Eircom permission to put one of those hideous replacements for phone boxes by the Garda Station (also in Celbridge).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

@L1011 is the planning guru around here. I wonder can he fish out the planning application. The site isn't what I'd call user friendly!

File is 20/6 or 206 depending which planning interface you use. I'd need to go see the big sign to see how bad it is compared to the plans which just have the word 'Signage' instead of the Costa logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

It has not, previous poster is mistaken (unless it disappeared since I got take away from them last week!)

Also the excellent wood fired pizza truck (Grá Pizza) is coming back to the Newtown Inn one (?) day a week - not sure how that works with the Naked Pizza having just opened up there!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

Throwing the revamped Royal City into the hat - really cool to have great Korean food in our little town, lovely staff too and nice for a sit-in meal. Seems like a hidden gem, never busy upstairs, hope they're doing good business from take-aways at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Jasus the amount of options when it comes to coffee shops is nearly overwhelming at this stage. 😄 I wouldn't be surprised if they put another one where Besburritos is.

Well, it was one before.

I'm not sure where they are all getting staff from, let alone customers.

• Advertisement

yeah it was on campus a year or two before covid & unbelievably busy non-stop, no idea why they got rid of it. went up there after i moved here recently & it was gone, turned into some sandwich places call pickle. foudn out in the meantime it had also been a mexican burrito place.

i wonder if there a limit to how long places can renew licences or whatever cos no matter how busy the places are it's a new one every year or two.

(apologies for losing the chinese at new town any business, was sure had heard somewhere it was closed down)

Advertisement