Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenways [greenway map of Ireland in post 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Saw this earlier re: BoyneValley-Lakelands greenway

The great news is that TII have approved €1,800,000 for the Nobber/Kingscourt stretch of the BoyneValley-Lakelands greenway. This money was approved two weeks ago and Meath CC have already appointed a contractor .

... Eventually  the BoyneValley-Lakelands greenway will  go the whole way to Dundalk and connect to the North/South  proposed greenways....

Meath CC will start before the end of October. Firstly, cleaning the line of vegetation from Nobber to Kingscourt . The 11 km of greenway will be broke down into different stages. Nobber/Kilmainhamwood section will be completed first  before moving on towards Kingscourt.... . We envisage it will take 11 months to complete this section of greenway but the great news is that it is starting. 

Meanwhile, the NOBBER/CASTLETOWN and WILKINSTOWN/GIBSTOWN sections are on the verge of been opened....

Also Tara Mines have their contractor ready to start on the Tailing ponds to Navan section and CASTLETOWN/WILKINSTOWN section will be going out to tender shortly. 

• Registered Users Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

from today's "Pathfinder" active travel launch, a proposal to connect up the various greenways in Waterford and Cork to form an inter-urban route (I know this is pretty much what's in the national plan already but it's going to be prioritised as a demo project for other interurban routes, presumably because half of it is already built):

Inter-Urban Demonstrator (National Link Cork-Waterford) Transport Infrastructure Ireland will lead on this Pathfinder project to establish the first complete city-to-city cycling route in Ireland. The project will complete the remaining sections of the route between Cork and Waterford which do not yet have high quality active travel infrastructure in place or under construction, building cycling lanes from Cork City to Dunkettle; Carrigtohill to Midleton; and Youghal to Dungarvan. When complete, the project will allow for seamless travel by active modes between the two cities and will function as a demonstrator of inter-urban linkages which may be later developed on other city-to-city routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Roland27

Boyne Greenway Update – Dáil debate September 2022

The status of the Boyne Greenway was the subject of a recent Dáil debate between local TD Peadar Tóibín, Minister Eamon Ryan and Darren O’Rourke TD

Boyne Greenway Update – Dáil debate September 2022

http://navancycling.ie/boynegreenway-daildebate22/

The status of the Boyne Greenway was the subject of a recent Dáil debate The Boyne Greenway was recently discussed in the Dail by several TD's and the Minister of Transport. The Greenway, which has ran into constant delays and problems, was originally due to go Public Consultation Stage 2 (ro

Main points: See full debate in link above.

• Public Consultation Stage 2 (route selection) was originally due in Q3 2021 (over 14 months ago). MCC issued the draft phase 2 options selection report to TII in May. But TII raised several queries with the local authority, and it still back with MCC to resolve.
    • “TII expects that the emerging preferred option for the greenway will be published by the local authority in quarter 4 this year (*16 month delay). It is likely that the phase 2 gate review process will not be completed until early 2023.”
    • The main reason for delay is the project was been carried out as joint greenway and river navigation restoration project. TII only have input for the greenway part, and the navigation part is causing serious complications. They need to be separated.
    • Eamon Ryan confirms the Greenway should be extended not just to Trim, but to the Royal Canal Greenway, which would create an amazing network of greenways in the region (also connecting to the Kingscourt greenway).

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Fake Tales

Interesting, but as expected I have see lots of people online laughing of the idea of cycling Cork to Waterford. To be fair it probable something I would do once for a novelty.

While its a great local amenity for walking and cycling with kids it seems they are progressing with the goal of getting the most km done vs people cycling.

The key sections for me would be connecting Little Island to Carrigtwohill and LI to Glanmire. The most important of all being a connection to the City. There is a missing link from Glounthoune to Carrigtwohill. I'm not aware of any link planned into LI and nothing in the pipeline to get people from Dunkettle into city.

The vast majority of people wont cycle more than 30min but there is lots of potential in those places to connect houses and places of work. You cant leave gaps at the most dangerous sections though.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

They say Youghal to Dungarvan but surely they mean Youghal to Cappoquin where it would link up with the old Mallow track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Youghal to Dungarven would make more sense I thought as more direct plus Greenway already in place from Dungarven to Waterford plus Midleton to Youghal is nearing completion.

Now if they want to add in a link to Cappaquin as well then happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

IIRC wasn't there plans for a new pedestrian/cycle bridge over the N25 from the train station into Eastgate in little Island? That would allow a link to the Dunkettle to Carrigtwohill cycle way they are building at the moment. (Pedestrian/cycling facilities on little island are a joke at the moment I might add)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Risoc

theres Pedestrian/ cycle lanes on the new bridge from Glounthaune to Little Island. I’d say it’ll be open before Christmas.

Perhaps. The only reference I can find is in this Examiner article:

It refers to a Little Island Sustainable Transport Interventions Plan. But I can't find the plan anywhere.

Ya that will probably help anyone coming from Cork or Glanmire. A long way out of the way from East Cork or Little Island train station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Great to see these latest maps from TII, especially here in Mayo, of their planned long distance Greenways connecting Sligo, Mayo and Tuam in Galway!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Probably already answered but Glounthaune to Carrigtohill is underway. Planned link to LI begins to open on Monday 24-Oct-22 and will soon be developed further, into the back of Eastgate. A new link from LI train station (bridge) will happen soon. The project from Dunkettle to City is at design stage, as per pathfinder project.

Funding not approved by NTA in 2019, but project is not scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,940 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

What does that mean in reality as in how far it could be away? I could only find one small reference to it in an examiner article.

My original point is that these kinda links are the most important and turn what are local walkways or good for kids cycling into usable transport infrastructure. Get more people on it. Help stop people from saying the bike lane is empty.

I understand they are the most complex and costly but they are also probably the most dangerous to cycle.

Also there is no sign of any work starting from Elm Tree in Glounthaune to Carrigtwohill. Work is currently focused on

It's probably the most dangerous part of the road as it's a old skew railway bridge. I was nearly killed there 20 years ago by a truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

New pedestrian/bike bridge needed ?

Or realigning the access lanes ? In fairness it's very much local traffic these days as the n25 takes the heavy stuff ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Yep a new pedestrian/bike bridge directly from the LI train station to the Radisson I believe. Refused funding in 2019. Little Island "Crompán" roundabout will likely get lights before this happens, because the roundabout/junction is considered a major pedestrian safety hazard at present and even if you build the new bridge, people will need to cross at the Crompán. So I presume the Crompán won't be touched until the new Little Island West interchange is opened, such is the current congestion: any upgrade to that Crompán/junction will "facilitate vulnerable road users" and naturally a consequence will be that motorised traffic is constrained, and I suspect they will likely not do that until there is an alternative available. I don't have insight though, into what Cork Co Co, TII and NTA have netted out on overall.

The Glanmire to Little Island will be completed by mid-2023. The Elm Tree to Carrigtohill scheme(s) will be completed by 2025. The problem is it's three schemes. Two council schemes with a crappy private bit in the middle. One Council scheme ends at the west of the IDA park and is reasonably straightforward: they will stay north of the train tracks and join the IDA business park from the West. They will also add extra width to the skew bridge and carry on to Ballyseedy, neither are very alike the previous section of "Glounthaune" greenway. The next scheme starts at the East of the IDA park and goes to Ballyadam (the Midleton side of Carrigtohill) and the design here looks quite good. The IDA park itself has it's own extremely low standard of "greenway" running through it, completed as of last year or so. I would hope that the Council ask them to re-do this recently-completed shoddy design. You can see why it will take another 2-3 years. Baby steps.

Just to add also, an even more ambitious and impressive project in Little Island will see through-running of buses from the LI West interchange, through Eastgate to Ballytrasna Park (through the current "Spar" car park) via what I believe may be the Co Co's first attempt at a bus gate. This sees cycle lanes in Eastgate and some of the Eastgate business entrances closed/amalgamated to improve the route.

No word on planned provision of a bus route between the train station and Crompán, or on the provision of the new pedestrian/cycle bridge, but the issue in 2018/2019 was "funding" and you'd have to assume that can't be the case any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,294 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Food for thought for promoters of greenways through howling wildernesses or urban wastelands.

https://www.wlrfm.com/news/greenway-is-nothing-without-the-amenities-around-it-according-to-chamber-ceo-274337

I agree. I feel everyone is looking at the success of the Waterford Greenway and thinking they can replicate.

The Midleton to Youghal one will be prerty dull in parts. Yes the towns each side are decent but it doesn't have the views, tunnels or viaducts. Will be a good local amenity than national attraction imo.

I don't get that argument at all and in fact would call it utter rubbish.

The point of a greenway is the safe route between 2 places. Nice views are, well, nice, but only a requirement for the marketing team.

Take a spin on the bike along the narrow roads on the Cliffs of Moher and then take a spin between Athlone and Mullingar. Beautiful ones on the first option, for sure, but you'll find a lot more folks on the second option.

There isn't much between Kilcock and Mullingar or Mullingar and Athlone but the Royal Canal is a nice greenway. However, is it one that families or couples will say "lets head there for our holidays?"

I think the safe route between two places is important but you do need to have stuff to occupy kids as you won't be cycling all day.

Greenways are a tourism feature (and not really a commuting route). To entice groups there in the same way that entices people to the Waterford or Mayo greenways requires places to stop and wander around.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The spin between Athlone and Mullingar is a lot more populated for one thing.

Greenways are very long parks and their function in not providing safe A to B routes.

Travel the Limerick Greenway and the busiest bit is easily the Barna section with the lovely scenery and amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭specialbyte

Fingal County Council has announced the emerging preferred route for the Fingal Coastal Way. A 32km greenway from Donabate to the Fingal county border north of Balbriggan. A Donabate it will link into the approved Broadmeadow Greenway to Malahide and then onto the Sutton to Malahide Greenway that FCC consulted on last year. What a day you could have cycling from Dublin city centre out to Balbriggan along the coast and then get the train back into the city. It will be marvellous. Hopefully, it will get strong local support as there is land acquisition and some traffic changes (one-way streets).

Video: https://www.fingal.ie/fingal-coastal-way

Maps and more details here: https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/emerging-preferred-route-fingal-coastal-way

A few people here commenting that Greenways are not for transport. I happen to agree: greenways are not currently being designed as though they're transport infrastructure and you've all previously had to suffer my opinion in this regard. I'd urge you to make submissions to NTA's CycleConnects, which specifically names greenways as transport infrastructure. The government and NTA's current strategies consider greenways as links to connect people from A to B, exactly as DaCor describes above.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,294 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The point is if you have a sh1t town, having a greenway isn't going to make it a great town.

It will still be a sh1t town, but with a greenway.

A few people here commenting that Greenways are not for transport. I happen to agree: greenways are not currently being designed as though they're transport infrastructure and you've all previously had to suffer my opinion in this regard. I'd urge you to make submissions to NTA's CycleConnects, which specifically names greenways as transport infrastructure. The government and NTA's current strategies consider greenways as links to connect people from A to B, exactly as DaCor describes above.

I have no problem with people using then to cycle to and from work. Many people around Dublin use the Royal and Grand Canal greenways for this purpose and at the same time others use them for leisurely cycles or walking (including dog walking). I've used them both to travrel into the city centre and never had an issue with other users.

I don't think it is fair to say that they are or aren't for a particular type of movement. however, if a family are tootling along on bikes and people are walking their dog then someone looking to commute at 30+kmh needs to be mindful of this. It should not however, rule them out from using the space.

The main problem is that with some councils greenways are developed and their assumption is that this should serve as pretty much all the cycling infrastructure in an area. This also fuels the idea amongst some drivers that there's a perfectly good greenway over there so why are you cycling on the road. These are a different issue and driven by people who don't cycle being thinking that they know best but without actually thinking it through with any impartiality.

I have however made a submission to the NTA survey previously.

• Advertisement

I would disagree slightly (as it depends on what makes it ****). The likes of Kilmacthomas along the Waterford greenway would have changed dramatically since the greenway opened making it a more vibrant place for those living there. When we were there, we stopped and spent money in the town. All those stops create employment, wealth and benefits for everyone in the town. If the greenway wasn't there, the town might be a kip with high unemployment but this isn't the case, thankfully.

Advertisement