Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If Tony Blair could get away with Iraq, I think this lot have nothing to worry about.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Did Blair get away with Iraq?

Where is he now - Jerusalem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,779 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, he's enormously wealthy and was never held to account so yes.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, he did not get enormously wealthy from the UK PM salary plus expenses.

If I had to live in Jerusalem, I would not consider I had got away with anything - particularly if I was not a Jew, but a Catholic, as he is reported to be.

No, he got wealthy from his firm, Tony Blair Associates. UK PM is nothing relative to what they can earn in the private sector.

He brought the UK into an illegal war. The fact that he's free, never mind continuing to wield influence is an abomination.

What's wrong with Jerusalem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Eight years ago, he was estimated to be worth £100 million. God knows how much he is worth now. Interesting quote from the article:

"One minute Blair is “advising” in Kazakhstan, another in Columbia, Azerbaijan or Dubai. He seems to have an aversion to democracies."

According to Owen Jones, his firm took £13 million from Kazakhstan alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The UK had a massive steel shortage and a massive dollar shortage at the time. Steel was allocated to manufacturers in proportion to what they could earn from exports. So it made sense to design models with export appeal. Aluminium was available due to lots of surplus WWII aircraft being scrapped. So it made sense to use it for the body of the Land Rover. The export earnings meant a larger steel quota for use on other cars and the domestic market (waiting lists of years long in the 1950s for a new car in the UK as as much production as possible was exported).

I wonder how the Land Rovers stood up to use in Africa though. The Australians bought lots of them initially but once Land Cruisers became available, bought those instead due to unreliability.

Oi! I learned to drive in an Austin! 😲

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Speaking of iconic British car brands...

BMW is to axe all UK production of the award-winning electric Mini and switch it to China, dealing a major blow to hopes that Britain could be a global hub for zero-emission vehicle manufacture.

BMW’s decision comes amid reports that Britain’s only planned large-scale battery factory, being built by Britishvolt in the northeast of England, will go bust if it does not receive a £200 million rescue package.

A spokesman for the business secretary, Jacob Rees-Mogg, declined to comment on BMW’s announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭moon2

the petrol based mini convertible was moved to the oxford manufacturing plant recently. That particular article predates the EV move to china, so keep that in mind when it talks about EV production in 2027.

It's interesting that the oxford plant is essentially being repurposed to continue building legacy products. I'd say this is a net loss to the area, and to UK manufacturing.

• Advertisement

Even the Telegraph coming out with this sort of stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

The telegraph is gone nuts. Front page and shame because a comedian ripped the p1ss out of her. And some government committee spending their time b1tching about Joe Lycett and Gary Lineker.

The Brexit Freedom Bill just been passed which ‘sunsets’ EU Legislation relating to Financial Services by end of December 23 for BoE, FCA and PRA I think. And then all other EU legislation by 2026 The whole damn lot. And back to their own interpretation of law. But honestly, would you trust what’s there at the moment to create complex legal instruments that organise and direct your financial infrastructure. Two separate structures of Regulators taking complete control without stabilisers.

Who knows how it will and will they be able to passport in by either service or location. It’s scary really.

I loved a line from the last leg where they were discussing Liz Truss and they said ‘Do you know what, I miss Boris, at least he pretended he cared’.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This is madness. Though, to be fair, pretty run-of-the-mill madness by the standards of brexitry.

What this means is that, until December 2023 in the case of financial services, and December 2026 for all other industries, nobody knows what regulatory framework is going to be in place. Will the existing framework be retained? Will it be wholly or partly replaced and, if so, with what? And, just to compound matters, will the 2023/2026 deadlines be met or, like virtually every other aspect of Brexit, will they be pushed out time and again as the UK authorities realise that they have committed to unrealistic timeframes for a half-baked project that they have no idea how to implement?

It's deeply ironic that a government that pretends to be committed to growth should commit to a pointless policy whose primary effect will be to create enduring regulatory uncertainty and strongly discourage investment across a wide range of business and commercial sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭joeguevara

So what it looks literally is the legislation for the regulators themselves by DecemberLike the prudential refgulayory authority, Financial conduct authority and the Bank of England and then December the following year to deliver all of the regulated participants legislation.

im sure anyone related in Finance in the UKh has better CV things to be doing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's deeply ironic that a government that pretends to be committed to growth should commit to a pointless policy whose primary effect will be to create enduring regulatory uncertainty and strongly discourage investment across a wide range of business and commercial sectors.

That's Brexit in a nutshell!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What I know about Financial Services would struggle to fill out a matchbox, but surely a lot of these companies have international footprints; in which case, who'd stick around within such regulatory fog?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

For some the "regulatory fog" is the benefit sadly.

They can't be prosecuted for breaking a regulation that doesn't really exist now can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Britain is "the money-laundering capital of the world", according to Tory MP Andrew Mitchell.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I doubt they have any intention of abandoning regulations. Its being suggested now, with a long run up, to appease the braindead brexiters. Either a different party will get in and abandon it, proving they are not reliable in terms of Brexit, or the Tories will somehow get back/stay in and gradually water it down before the due date, having cause maximum confusion in the meantime.

It just isn't possible to abandon regulations wholesale - can you imagine the ramshackle buildings that will appear everywhere, the dodgy food and medicines that will be produced, the dangerous cars on the roads, the cowboy electricians that will reappear, the 50 and 60 hour working weeks people will be expected to work. Are they looking to go back to early Victorian levels of adulterated milk from diseased animals, wallpaper and paint that poisons people, and effluent being poured into any handy river? No, that is not project fear stuff, it is precisely what people will do if they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Well they've already gotten the ball rolling on the sewerage into handy rivers no? 🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,546 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just specifically on the elongated working week? That is something absolutely being pursued by right leaning parties - including in the UK but it'd take a while to dig out the sources. Most often these attempts to remove protections hide under the banner of "enabling the right to work", being doublespeak for stripping away protections regards working weeks, holiday allowances and so on. Sure why would we get in the way of people just wanting to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

^^Right to work for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,095 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Its like that form you can sign "voluntarily" to waive your right to overtime.

Funny you should say that. Led By Donkeys have been up to good again:

They go through the expected sordid relationship between dodgy think tanks, Truss and Kwarteng and their nefarious influence on UK economic policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

A bit of reality dawning in this excellent video

• Registered Users Posts: 28,488 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just in the last few minutes finished watching that and was going to post it! Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Absolutely shatters the brexiteer lies about the British economy being hampered by COVID or Ukraine. The film is unequivocal that Brexit is the cause of Britain falling further and further behind the G7

• Registered Users Posts: 22,423 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

Advertisement