Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

12 weeks for Connors with a bicep injury.

8 weeks for both Harry and Ronan.

That 8 weeks will likely see Kelleher miss November series too. Huge shame

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/leo-cullen-issues-injury-update-ahead-of-munster-game/

It's pretty disastrous, but at least some positives from a player development perspective:

Sheehan has already played a lot of minutes, and with Tracy injured they'll have to give minutes to McKee, Barron or even McElroy before long.

Similarly, Penny is going to get a lot of game time, and maybe some of the younger back rows too.

Back up 10 will be problematic - Frawley will have to get time there now, as neither Tector not Prendergast look too ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'd like to see Ngatai and Henshaw in the centres and Ringrose on the wing v Munster. We're very light on the wing and Ringrose was excellent there v the Sharks, as were Ngatai and Henshaw in the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,279 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The injured back three players is giving solid gametime to the back ups. I'm sure they'll benefit from this in the medium term.

The important thing is that nobody has exposed and exploited the back 3 as an inexperienced unit so far. Connacht found grass with a few kicks last week but positioning wasn't terrible. If they can keep getting away with wins then this will have been a big success. Russell looks lively in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Happyhouse22

• Advertisement

Yeah, but he'll be pretty much first choice I think for a lot of games as I don't think Sexton will play an awful lot more URC rugby in 2022 after this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Happyhouse22

probably true - but then there are only 12 regular season URC games left after this weekend- so if Sexton plays in 4 of them (not unreasonable to expect him to play a few),that would be 33%.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jesus! Connors is wicked unlucky! The poor fecker. I would not expect Ryan; Baird or Conan this week. Might get Rhys back and maybe Deegan?

Missing Luke too. Oi ve. This start has not been good as far as injuries go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I dunno, personally would be surprised to see him play even 4 more regular season games; if ever there was a season to wrap him in cotton wool...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Deegan should definitely be available and Penny too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,279 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Desperately unlucky for Connors and Kelleher. There was a lot of debate about who would be the starting hooker, but if Sheehan maintains this form, then surely he'll be in possession of the jersey at leinster and Ireland and it will be up to Kelleher to take it from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭ersatz

Whatever about some of the other guys who are injured Connors plays the sort of game you'd expect to be extremely attritional. Some of the tackles he puts in are frightening. JDF seems to operate in a similar way, very quick off the line and going low at speed, but for some reason whenever I see Connors in full flight I wince.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Jayno66

Anyone know how ticket sales are looking for Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Off The ball mentiond 32k I think it was earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's a distinct lack of hype going into this game. The rivalry being one sided for years hasn't helped. Leinster have dominated and Munster have gotten worse and worse.

But I think what hurts this fixture most right now is that neither side are anywhere near top gear yet. The way the season is structured means European Rugby doesn't begin until after the November tests. It used to be that the provinces would start to go up a gear intensity and accuracy wise for this fixture and then go straight into the Champions Cup. This year, I get the impression that Leinster still aren't at the level where ramping up is required.

To me, it just feels like a run of the mill league fixture. I might be wrong and we'll get a proper game at the weekend. But both sides are still relatively subdued.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

It should be more hyped as a "trial match " for making the November squad.

With the injury list. There are loads of positions up for grabs.

I dont think the irish 23 has had so many question marks over it in the past 2 years..

Who plays second row and who partners Doris and vdf in the back row.

Who's starting and back up 9.

What's the back up 10 and back 3...

A week ago I would have said Leinster by 20.. now I wouldn't be as sure...

It's an interesting conundrum for Farrell. Does he want to experiment with the side and risk losing, or try and consolidate on the excellent summer tour and only make changes where absolutely necessary.

Cullen has already ruled out Lowe, JGP and Keenan for this weekend, but they may be fit for the Scarlets fixture the week after. I think if Keenan and JGP are even half fit, they start for Ireland. They're just so important to the gameplan and I don't think any other 9 or 15 on the Ireland comes close to replicating their strengths. Keenan is also one of the best 15's in world rugby. He's one of the first 5 names on the team sheet.

Lowe isn't quite as important, but I think some people don't recognise all the good work he does in green. He's another auxiliary playmaker and is constantly popping in field to act as a decoy, gainline carrier or linking passer. Robert Baloucone is a gifted athlete, but I don't think he has the same ball playing skills as Lowe. At least not yet anyway.

Expirement... play the fully fit players. Build additional squad depth.

Why did he play 2 games against the Maori and a 3 game tour in south africa if he is just going to play the same players in every test match especially while they are recovering from injury and have zero form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think Lowe's left boot is very important to Ireland and Leinster.

If Lowe doesn't play, who fulfils that role of regularly getting us out of our half from inside the 22 on the left hand side of the pitch? (Stockdale? )

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd agree - Better to find out now if the next tier of players are up to games against a Top 5 team then to find out they aren't in a World Cup Knock-out game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I may be sounding like a broken record on this, but I’d hope the coaches already have a very good handle on who is up for games against top tier sides and that they don’t need to chuck guys into games to find out. If they don’t then they aren’t doing their jobs properly.

We’ve seen plenty of new faces under Farrell as well so this take of “same players in every test” is really hollow. Every side has their core group of players that they use in big games. And they generally use the first couple of years of a RWC cycle to bring guys in lot that group with the last year being about building momentum etc. We’ve done similar.

I think Farrell has already done his experimenting tbh. We're now firmly in the solidifying stage where we work out any kinks in the gameplan and try to counteract any advanced analysis the opposition has done to work out our tactics. It will be as close to full strength sides as possible for South Africa and maybe one or two changes only for Australia.

The two additional games against the Maori All Blacks and the mini tour of South Africa were to test who amongst the wider squad would be a good fit for a World Cup.

There might be one or two players who force their way into Irelands 23, but I think Farrell and his coaches have it mostly selected in their minds already.

There's a pre-sale for Ireland A vs New Zealand A exclusive to Leinster Season Ticket holders. Goes live tomorrow.

I was saying it in the context of the injured players or the players who have not played yet this season and have been ruled out until at least November.

The core squad/team is currently available. But what's to gain from rushing the likes of Henderson, JGP, Lowe,Keenan back for the SA game.

Much more to be gained from looking at say a threadwel,mccarthy or ahearn in second row even off the bench.

Or a Doak paired with sexton at SH or potentially a Jimmy o'Brien, or shane daly at 15 or 11.

I wasn't calling for a whole new experimental 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I get that, but it isn’t all about just the individuals either. For example I’d see the SA game in particular as a massive one. They play very differently to how others do and how we approach playing them, how we adapt to how they defend and attack (especially as they’ll be in our pool) could tell us a lot about what we need to tweak heading into the RWC. And in that case then the less variables we can introduce into that game the better as they may dilute what we can take from it.

Its always hard figuring this stuff out from the outside looking in. We don’t really know what the coaches wanted to tweak from the NZ tour or what weaknesses/opportunities they can see in opposition sides. So we’re always commenting from a point of ignorance. If the coaches don’t give too many guys a go this Autumn, or at least less than some would like, that isn’t necessarily a sign of conservatism. And given how willing they’ve been up to now to give guys opportunities then we should try to give them at least some benefit of the doubt. If they’d stuck with the same 23 as much as possible for the last 3 years then they wouldn’t deserve that benefit, but they haven’t. So if they select Lowe, for example, as soon as he’s available then we should wait until we see how he performs before making a call on whether it was the right thing to do or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think JOB will be capped this autumn. For the Fiji match, maybe McCarthy gets onto the bench. I wouldn't rush anyone back, the 6nations is far more important. The A match v NZ, will give us all a good look at the next lads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Thornley is reporting that only 35,000 tickets have been sold for Saturday's game which is well short of capacity. Whilst its a bit more than the game last May, it's a shame that full houses are becoming few and far between in the Aviva. It's a tricky spot to have demand well in excess of what the RDS can hold but well below what can fill the Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

There’s just no hype around the game this year at all, various reasons I’d guess. The rivalry isn’t what it was is a part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Leinster need to consider moving the Ulster game to the Aviva, Munster there every season has been stale for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m not sure it would make much difference, Ulster are currently better but not enough to make it a big seller.

Advertisement