Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I didn't deflect, you did by saying they are the same. You are saying its the same and yet we had no flu when we had masks and restrictions and multiples of death with Covid. We have been round this merry go round before.

Its not the same and only somebody with their head up where the sun doesn't shine the last nearly 3 years would say so.

I thought you had more sense than that?

Lets just agree to disagree here, shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

One of my lads along with his friend was refused entry to the cinema just before Christmas last year because he couldn't produce a vaccine cert, neither of them owned phones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Hope we take learnings from the global response to Covid-19. There's a lot that brought out the worst in us, especially in the later days. That vaccine passport was nonsense in my opinion, but you can't expect perfection when things are in motion. Just hope there's a proper transparent analysis of it all for our own sake and egos don't get in the way unable to admit error.

Beverly Hills, California

How's that 'legal' definition of 'coercion' coming along?

I'm still waiting to educate the law philosopher, the ICCL and encyclopedia Britannica. I'm sure there are many others I need to educate too. But, alas, I'm still waiting.

You (and a couple of others on this thread/other threads) are constantly pushing a single view point as if it's the only one that exists (or is allowed to exist).

Well, it's not the only view point and twisting of words and definitions to suit your narrative is absolute nonsense. The lengths I've observed you go to defend the strictest and longest lockdown (also a form of coercion) on the youngest population in Europe is simply astonishing. I've never seen the likes of such fervent faith. I don't wish to go down that rabbit hole with you again but I do want a 'legal definition' of coercion.

Ps the answer to your Force/power question is in the law philosopher article.

Here's a hint : 'By that definition, any step the government undertakes in pursuit of a goal of public policy is coercion' - That's how law works - it's coercive by nature - I thought you'd know this, being a 'legal' expert? After all : ‘covenants without swords are but words’ .

Let's see if you can find it, connect the dots yourself.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

You have gone down the rabbit hole again. The best you can do is stop digging.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Hold on now. Read my post again. Show me where I said "they are the same". I said that they are COMPARABLE, and I stand by that assertion. Both are airborne viruses, transmitted through particles, infect the respiratory system, and Covid even leads to "flu-like symptoms" - as described by the HSE website. I trust you won't argue with them?

So again, I and others, are not saying "it's just the flu bro". I am saying that Covid is comparable to the flu, in that it shares similar characteristics and symptoms. And yes, your response is typical of someone who doesn't like being challenged, in that you deflect, dismiss, and don't engage. Almost trumpian.

And finally back to my original question, which you failed to answer. Do you disagree with the manner in which we, as a society, are currently treating Covid (i.e. as another endemic respiratory virus)? If so, what do you propose?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,616 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You're trying to compare a novel virus with a virus that's been around and already infected pretty much everyone. If you want to be pedantic about the comparison (which you do for some reason), there are many strains of flu, which can be very different from each other and have caused localised lockdowns around the world many times.

SARS-COV2 became a pandemic because if it was highly infectious (R was higher than flu), was novel (people didn't have pre-existing similar antibodies to fight it off) and quickly spread between multiple countries (as symptoms sometimes followed infectiousness).

The flu almost disappeared during lockdowns, SARS-COV2 didn't.

It will also be tracked and monitored separately for a good few years (I'm guessing about a decade) before it becomes background noise, new variants with immune escape could cause localised problems in countries (I don't think we'll see global impact again).

And again, to be more pedantic, SARS-COV2 has more in common with a cold, from a virus perspective, than flu.

" virus that's been around and already infected pretty much everyone." - At this stage, hasn't pretty much everyone had Covid? I've had it - it wasn't bad for me, I recovered in a matter of days, my health is overall good (perhaps I was lucky, as I am not young) - I caught it (at presumably a pub) a few weeks after a booster, no less.

Everyone I know has had it, except one (who I am amazed hasn't had it, avoided household transmission miraculously). Anecdotal, of course.

Okay, thanks for that tirade.

For the record, the previous poster accused me (and others) of stating "it's just the flu bro", and then accused me of stating that they are the same. Neither of which I said. That's not me being pedantic, it's the other poster being blatantly false and misleading. I said the flu and covid are comparable, as they share some characteristics. You said it has more in common with the cold. Okay, I didn't know that but now I do. Not the same, not "it's just a cold, bro", but shares some traits/characteristics. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

The common cold used to kill people too until we built up an immunity. There's an island somewhere off India with natives and it's closed off to the world.

I'd say if they caught a cold or flu it would be dangerous. Sounds mad I know. A lot of native Americans caught illness off the white people who were plundering the Americas.

They brought pestilence terror and their so called God to everywhere they went, and sickness was rife and lot's of people died, the irony huh were here to teach you about love tolerance, and we'll more than likely kill you without intent.

The Islanders are called the Sentinelese.

By the way I never took the vaccine, I'm hesitant myself, didn't like the lockdowns either. I've had war on board's on these topics here myself.

But I've chilled out, found a happy medium lol

• Advertisement

Searching for the point here? For those with weak immune systems, SARS-COV2 is still an issue, it's also still very infectious, more so than flu. We've been lucky it hasn't been as mutagenic as the flu and vaccines still work and can be used to boost immunity (the quadrivalent flu vaccine usually has an efficacy of ~60% and doesn't help much in future years vs. COVID vaccines that still has strong efficacy afterwards). Vaccine drives will be used to keep it under control.

You're continuing to argue about a topic which you didn't have much information about, "it's just a flu" is wrong on a lot of levels unless your initial point was that both were respiratory virus, in which case, what was the point of the post in the first place if not to try and downplay the impact it had and still has.

Good to see you coming around. Now imagine those on the Island or native americans had vaccines available and used them, the impact of the novel virus would be very small.

I don't like your tone but I will reply AGAIN in as much to draw a line under this as I have answered a few times already.

I am most definitely not trumpian and have replied and engaged more than many on this thread so that is a false accusation and very disingenuous of you to say that.

There are many who come on thread, shout at others, and leave without making any attempt to engage discuss or if they do don't ever answer a straight question.

Everyone is guilty of the odd rant but not as a rule.

Now to your questions..

Covid may be like flu in that they are both respiratory in their initial symptoms but Covid is an Inflammatory disease and causes widespread multiorgan effects that are now becoming apparent with Long Covid and research that has been reproduced here on the thread but ignored and played down by pissters who don't seem to accept it

Flu causes some inflamnation but nothing on the levels of Covid. And effects are usually resolved within a few weeks. Some people are affected for longer but not on the same level nor are the effects on the various organs in the manner or extent that Covid does. So no they are not "comparable,' I don't agree with that statement.

However I have no issue, as I repeatedly have said, on this thread and others, with present guidelines as our levels of disease while rising, are not severe and are not yet causing problems for the health service.

It is not yet an endemic virus however as every wave is not controllable and predictable, variants are still mutating to evade immunity, but hopefully with increasing levels of immunity to variants in society it will become endemic eventually.

If it was maybe annual top up vaccinations wouod be all that was needed.

Until then we will continue to have these rolling waves and peaks of illness and whatever restrictions that will bring.

If you want links to research or studies to prove what I have said I have posted these in the thread for you and others before and bern harangued for doing so , so am not going to go to that trouble again today as I am not sure given your tone that you are that interested, tbh.

For the record I didn't accuse you of saying its just a flu bro that was directed generally. You took it personally.

And secondly I ddn't mislead anyone in my post simply replied to your post and you didn't like my wording. You are the one being pedantic here. And objectionable. For example,why say @astrofool "s answer is a "tirade"? It was reasoned and sensible, something that a lot of people could learn from here.

And thirdly, it is not only good manners but decent when you are giving anither poster a bollxxxing or othetwise in a post third party to refer to them as I did to adtrofool above so they have the heads up that someone is talking about them.

If I had known that you had said all that cxxx about me in your rant at him I would have either dealt with it /you in my previous answer.

Fair enough. I agree with a lot of what you said there, but disagree on the comparable aspect. I think they are, but I guess that's subjective. But I also admit I don't know enough about Covid (or flu) as I'm not a virologist, but just basing my assertion on personal experiences, anecdotal evidence and from what I've read.

I think we've cleared up the issue around "it's, just a flu bro". You say that was directed in general to the thread, but I still don't see anyone saying it. It may be argued that some, myself included, are trying to downplay the severity of Covid. I would simply argue that it isn't that severe now that we're all (or at least the majority) vaccinated. Anyway, the point has been addressed so we'll leave it there.

And I am basing my views as a nurse who looked after severely ill patients and now a research scientist .

Both coming at it from different perspectives I will give you that .

I could quote the posts but as both if the posters have now moderated their view it would serve no purpose except stir up ill feeling . I think there is enough of that here today .

So I respect your reply and viewpoint , and hope you have a good evening .

In fairness while I don't disagree with your post , not everyone had the luxury to sit outside and wait it out .

I know so many people including myself who were at high risk, or had high risk family members , but still working front facing jobs in healthcare , in transport , and in retail , who had no choice but to keep going and try to keep themselves and their families well and healthy whether that was using masks , avoiding contact as much as possible, and when they became available taking the vaccines .

Who knows I might have sat outside with a blanket chatting to my friends and waited it out , in another reality?! 😁

It was nice in a way sitting outside. Got used to it, plenty of layer's and if you're dry and warm sure you're breathing in the fresh air.

I have often eaten outside during the winter,as I work outdoors 60% of the time and used to dampness and leaky shed's. Good gortex rain jacket and gortex trousers long johns , gortex boots and layers. Stanley flasks etc I'm quite rough and ready.

Well if you're vulnerable you made the right decision. Hope all your family are ok . My mum's vulnerable, dad's as tough as nails. My son who's in his 20's took it. He's not bothered with boosters,as he just took it to get into pubs with friends and the gym etc

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Micky 32 and Goldengirl threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Yeah, but hardly surprising from a communist state. There were quite a few people around here during the last 3 years who would have loved a bit of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Yeah but I did expect them to loosen up a little, this is hurting them now... it can't go on forever !!

Especially with omicron and how it has completely changed the landscape of all this...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

Is the Pfizer adapt vaccine available for people who have had their 3rd booster?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭horse7

This is also on the Hse site : Wait at least 4 months since getting your last COVID-19 vaccine. You can check the date of your last vaccine on your digital COVID-19 certificate.

What has come up about Pfizer?

Do you mean them reiterating what was covered in the trials? And from them, all the medical experts and immunologists and virologists understanding the results and what they would mean while some internet cranks try and misinterpret all of it?

That the really stupid republicans in the US are trying to make a thing?

That has actively caused more deaths of their supporter than democrats, even though the average democrat would live in locations more susceptible to COVID?

As if their president completely mismanaging the pandemic wasn't enough for them.

and posting clips of celebs, political classes and influential broadcaster's telling people one thing and it turning out to be untrue.

You need to find better sites to browse, I can only imagine what these echo chambers have done to you.

The vaccines prevented infections happening, that is 100% proven, all the data supports it.

The vaccines reduced the impact of serious disease by 90%+, that is also proven, all the data supports it.

Anyone saying otherwise is an idiot or has been misled by an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

Tha vaccines prevented some infections happening, but didn’t do this effectively enough to prevent the later variants quickly spreading through the community.

They prevented a lot of infections and still do, the higher infectivity rates (R), different strains and waning antibodies reduce the % they reduce infections by. However, this is also the case with actual infections as well (where people can be reinfected ~6 months later). The vaccinations reduced the novel nature of the virus and kept infection rates down to allow society to reopen without restrictions and virtually eliminated serious disease, especially in younger cohorts.

To claim they do nothing about infectiousness is wilful ignorance at this stage no matter how bad your graph interpreting skills are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Doc07

Reasonable summary but this hasn’t been disputed by any sensible person since the first omicron wave and publications from for example UK, South Africa and Israel.

However, every systematic study, most of them investigated by public health authorities independent of the vaccine manufacturers, have also consistently shown that although protection against infection was disappointing with later variants, protection against severe disease , hospitalisation and death remained very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭jackboy

I wouldn’t agree with that. Omicron absolutely exploded in both the vaccinated and unvaccinated population. The vaccines did not significantly dent that spread. They helped with the severity though. That in combination with Omicron being less severe allowed restrictions to be lifted. If Omicron was a more severe variant restrictions would not have been lifted.

• Advertisement

Advertisement