Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I got a €10 voucher from Halfords to spend online recently, there was a €40 MucOff selection down from €40 to €19, ordered it as click and collect, so only cost me a tenner... Can't remember why they gave me the voucher, but worked out well...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 663 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I really like the MucOff stuff, used to use it on my road bike and then when I got a motorcycle I continued. Probably better stuff on the market but for the price I'll keep using the MucOff stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

Bennets youtube did a pretty thorough review of all washing options a while back. Top of the pile was Aldi washing up liquid in a 10% solution. Costs 1.50 or something.

I don't buy Muc Off any more. 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Did they test whether it was salt-free? Most washing up liquid contains salt.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

I was thinking that myself.

Fairy liquid is meant to have low salt, was recommended on a thread as a ddegreaser when derusting fuel tanks and prepping for Por15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If it's diluted 1:10 surely that amount of salt if washed wouldn't cause any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Checks out: https://youtu.be/9NsFLPDgFqA?t=1156 and yes, they tested for salt.

Still, at less than €1/L (diluted) Muc-off is pretty cheap relative to the other products in the Bennetts test, and I've bought it now, so I'm gonna use it. Will use washing up liquid in a couple of years when it's run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

There's salt in the washing up liquid, but it's said to be a different type of salt to the familiar damaging kind.

Same, I believe, for MucOff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Depends on the liquid, some are low salt, some aren't, tbh I've used it for years on my cars and never had an issue, I don't imagine bike finishes are that delicate.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

It's not paintwork you'd be worried about. There's a lot more exposed fasteners, alloy parts etc. on a bike which are all subject to corrosion.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

^^^

That reminds me of Scot Redding having a go at one of the Irwins a few years back in BSB.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Be honest now, how many of these do you already own....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

anyone bought a bike off Philip McCallen up north before?

www.phillipmccallen.com

Not all of them but hey there's time yet! 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

I don't known if any one listens to the 'Chasin the Racin' podcast with Dom Herbertson and Chrissy Rouse, but Chrissy came off in the BSB at the weekend and has passed away today.

I only really have a peripheral interest in racing mostly from listening to their podcast to be honest - seemed like an incredibly genuine young guy. They were terrible at interviewing people but so genuine and enthusiastic that it made it listenable and there's some cracking episodes.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I have - they were good to deal with but not great for giving a test ride when you have a Southern License, apparently it's a known thing with them. They let me "take the bike around the business estate" but I took it up the road for a bit anyway. Got bike serviced with them also and they were nice as well but did manage to crack some of the plastic and one of my indicators for which they sent me replacement parts. Fitted myself because it was an easy process and I needed to get the bike home at the time.

I've bought from Charles Hurst BMW in Belfast and they are miles ahead of anyone for customer service and no issues with hours-long test rides on any bikes on a Southern License. Think I've had 3 brand-new bikes out for test spins at this stage with them.

Cheers! A friend of mine is looking for her first bike, and they have a nice CB500 on their page.

probally an insurance thing, or not worth the risk if their insurance kicks up a fuss.

Not so good on the cracking plastics during a service, but at least they sorted it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

A good friend of mine has, bit if a mixed bag experience imo, particularly when it came to servicing. Travelling up there from RoI means they know you're at a disadvantage and I think this is part of the problem in the example I saw.

I'd say a straight purchase where you would be just buying and on your own after that would be fine, but I don't believe you'll get the aftercare you would have if you were local and be more likely to turn up at the door with any problems.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Blade Old and new with John McGuinness and Shakey Byrne

Post edited by blade1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Has anyone ever had a problem with the Gardai trying to put them off putting in a complaint about an incident with another motorist only for the Gards to threaten to do them for something if they do ?

Is this a usual tactic ?

I've seen someone who had just knocked down two people, have a guard tell her "shut the **** up" when she said sorry she couldn't see them because of the sun.

Turned out it was the guards wife that was driving the car.

So nothing would surprise me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Yes, bought my Kwacker 650 off him from new in 2007. Not the same outfit as then but they do excellent servicing. Seem to be too busy these days with own sales versus southerners coming up. I still get my major work done there but, I always agree the price before the work

yeah I kind of figured unless she was local, then they pretty much write the warranty off. Cross border repairs sounds messy. But it was a farily new bike, so anything that would need doing is just general servicing which I'd rather teach her how to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Remember somewhat similar, a good few years back. I rear-ended a jeep pulling a trailer a few years back (in a car) and it was my fault (sudden stop, I jammed on, and my foot grabbed both the brake and the accelerator at the same time), but there were no lights on the trailer. Trailer driver rang his friendly guard, who turned up pronto, and made it clear that if I didn't admit liability, he'd be doing me for dangerous driving. I couldn't really argue the position, claim went in against my insurance and there was no further mention of the trailer which didn't have any brake lights (though I did report it on the accident insurance report form). Again, I wasn't in a position to argue - it was entirely my fault, just didn't like the whole 'arrangement'.

In situations where you feel the Garda are using a position of power to protect the other driver. It would be well worth bringing it up with this lot.

https://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

I should have gone to the ombudsman over the mishandling of a case years ago (not driving related) The garda investigating just stopped and refused to communicate again because they were fed up with it.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Advertisement