Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2023/24

• 12-08-2022 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

La Liga returns this evening with Osasuna vs Sevilla. The game kicks off at 8pm on Premier Sports.

It looks like it's going to be a lot easier to watch La Liga this season. Premier Sports are offering over 300 live La Liga games, and ITV are showing 10 games in a new deal announced today:

I never signed up to the La Liga TV service but got Premier through NOW's Sports Extra package. Last season you'd get a few La Liga games on Premier, but a lot of the big ones weren't provided. Seems that's changing now. Barca, Madrid and Atletico all live this weekend on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

PP latest odds on who wins the title:

Barcelona - 6/5

Madrid - 5/4

Atletico - 13/2

Sevilla - 22/1

Villarreal - 25/1

Others - 50/1 or more

I reckon Madrid will retain their title. I like the additions of Tchouameni and Rudiger. I think Barca have made good moves too, but the club has been a bit of a circus. I expect them to be closer. Lewandowski brings a bit of star power to the league and the Clasicos feel a bit more special than last season.

Who do you fancy to win the title?

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I fancy either Madrid or Barca!

But it'll be tight.

I'd be worried about Madrids lack of quality cover for Benzema, especially in the CL .

There is no way he will have a season like last year's, it was simply Roy of the Rovers stuff at times, especially in those latter CL games against PSG, Chelsea and City. So if he does have a drop off in goals, who will get them? They really need a big season from Hazard too, so hopefully we can see a full season without injuries from him.

Interesting to see how the new signings at Camp Nou settle in. I have no doubt Leba will score plenty. Barca need a massive season to try to get the ship straightened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Barca's opening game ends in a goalless draw with Rayo. Busquets sent off late on for a swinging arm towards Falcao, which I thought was a bit harsh.

Madrid 1 down at half time to Almeria.

Have most of the ball but not creating much.

Partnership of Rudiger and Nacho looks shaky.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The shite he has gotten away with over his career it serves him right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Are Atletico Madrid under pressure financially? Witsel and Molina the only signings after a poor year last season. Saul and Morata back from loans so assume they need to sell first?

• Advertisement

Watched Madrid beat Celta 4-1. Modric with a masterclass display. Scored a beautiful goal and set up Vini Jr with a lovely through ball. Some Celta fans gave him a standing ovation when he was subbed late on. Best midfielder in the world for me.

Madrid were very impressive. Scoreline makes it seem like Celta were bad but they played good stuff at times. Madrid just very dangerous on the counter. Tchouameni with a very good performance which was important for him, and he and Camavinga were much improved on last week.

Barca are away to Real Sociedad tomorrow evening at 9pm. ITV4 will be showing it live.

Benzema saves Madrid again with a late winner away to Espanyol.

Ballon d'Orzema always seems to step up when needed. Great fun when the outfield player has to go in goal.

Lewandowski had a good day too with a brace of his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Atletico v Valencia and it's a farce. Neither team interested in football only kicking each other. 5 yellow cards so far including Simeone. The ref gave a clear red to Correia for a last man pull back on Morata only to **** himself and rescind it after a VAR check.

• Advertisement

Half-time and Barca leading 2-0 at Sevilla. Raphinha with his first La Liga goal and Lewandowski with a nice finish. It should have been 3 but Dembele missed the chance. Kounde could have scored against his old club as well but headed wide. I don't like Sevilla's chances against City on Tuesday judging by this performance. Their defence is all over the place.

3-0 minutes after the restart. Eric Garcia with a tap-in. Game over.

Didn't realise Premier Sports had former Monaco, Spain and Granada coach Robert Moreno on commentary. Much better than listening to Graham Hunter.

3-0 it ends. Loud jeers from the home fans as Sevilla have just a point after 4 games. Gavi and Lewandowski with strong games.

Post edited by Mr.Nice Guy on

I checked out Sevilla's 3-2 win at Espanyol. 20-year-old RB Jose Angel Carmona got a brace and an assist on his first La Liga start for Sevilla. Looks one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

I was physically at the game.

He made fools of Espanyol defenders.

Sounds like a prospect for sure.

Did he play against man city in the CL?

Edit: I see he did.

Post edited by NIMAN on

Madrid are 1-0 down against the run of play at home to Mallorca. They'll have to turn it around without Benzema who's out injured.

Oh my goodness what a goal from Valverde to equalise. He picked it up in his own half as well. Last kick of the half to make it 1-1.

2-1 Madrid. Vini Jr. completes the turnaround after good work from Rodrygo. Madrid have been much better since Hazard got subbed.

3-1 Madrid. Rodrygo with a terrific solo goal to make sure of the result. Madrid's goals have been of very high quality.

4-1. Rudiger gets his first goal for the club. Looked offside at first glance but VAR says it's OK.

Full-time. Big statement from Madrid. Main disappointment for them was Hazard's performance. Thought he might kick on from the Celtic game but he struggled.

Hazard hasn't kicked a ball in anger in a couple of year now. Nearly 32 and barely fit but never got the same treatment from Madrid fans that Bale did.

Had a look at Osasuna's 1-0 win at Almeria which takes Osasuna to 4th. Chimy Avila with the goal and he played well.

Sad to hear the news earlier that Sociedad's Umar Sadiq is out for the season with a cruciate injury. He'd only just joined them and had started the season nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lewandowski doing what Lewandowski does.

He is having the same kind of start that Haaland is having in the Preimer League but I don't see him being called super human or a cheat code and he has been doing it for over a decade.

Don't you know, it only matters if it happens in the EPL.

• Advertisement

Xavi got a lot of stick last season, deservedly so at times, but he has Barca looking like title contenders. Lewandowski's goals should have them up there.

Madrid derby is live on ITV4 tomorrow with an 8pm kick-off. Benzema hasn't been passed fit.

Had a look at Rayo's game with Elche tonight. Super volley from sub Unai Lopez to win it in the final seconds.

Elche bottom with just 2 points so far.

Iker Casillas put out a tweet suggesting he was coming out as gay. Puyol suggested similar yet the Spanish media now saying the two of them were joking. Casillas has since deleted the tweet. Bit stupid to do a joke like that. The reaction to the initial tweet shows how much homophobia is still around.

Update: Casillas has since apologized and claimed he was hacked. Hmmm.

Caught the 2nd half of Barca's 1-0 win over Celta. Loads of chances for Celta near the end but they couldn't take them. If they play like this against Inter on Wednesday, they could be in trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone know why Elche v Mallorca is delayed?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭timothydec77

It was rain delayed

Standard Atletico shite again tonight. Simeone carded inside 10 minutes, 7 yellows all in including both keepers, Oblak subbed 1 minute after a yellow for time wasting after going 1 up, Grbic his replacement got a yellow for the same. All in amongst the usual crying, fouling and general lack of any actual football.

Some strike by Gudelj to win it for Sevilla at Mallorca.

Looking forward to the Clasico tomorrow. Kick-off at 3:15pm. Pity it clashes with City/Liverpool, although the first hour shouldn't. It will be a pretty miserable week for Xavi if they get beaten. I'm sensing a strong performance incoming from Benzema.

• Advertisement

Hate Atleti at this stage.

So anti football don't know how anyone can cheer them on any more.

Should be a good Clasico tomorrow, and a game Xavi can't afford to lose after them more or less exiting the CL midweek.

Team news:

Madrid XI: Lunin; Carvajal, Militao, Alaba, Mendy; Modric, Tchouameni, Kroos; Valverde, Benzema, Vini Jr.

Barcelona XI: Ter Stegen; Roberto, Kounde, Garcia, Balde; De Jong, Busquets, Pedri; Raphinha, Lewandowski, Dembele.

Some big calls here from Xavi. Drops Pique after his poor game against Inter and starting De Jong over Gavi.

In related news:

BENZEMA!

Great work from Kroos in the build.

Should be 1-1. Lewandowski misses a sitter after a great ball by Raphinha.

2-0! Valverde with a nice strike. Vini held the ball up well.

Drakes bet busted.

2-1. Ferran Torres gets a deserved goal back for Barca. Great play from Fati who left Valverde on the floor. Interesting ten or so minutes coming up.

3-1. Rodrygo wins a pen off Eric Garcia's foul. Benzema subbed so Rodrygo takes it and just about scores. Game over now.

Full-time. Madrid go 3 clear of Barca to cap a very disappointing week for Xavi. Kroos, Tchouameni and Modric are some midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I felt like Madrid didn't have to work too hard to get that result today. The first two goals and the goal that wasn't were just all too easy for them.

I don't think this is the end of the world for Barca, just more of a sign of how much work they still need to do.

Karim Benzema wins the Ballon d'Or. Very well deserved.

Probably the greatest individual CL campaign I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

My betis had a good win yesterday, willy carvalho was great.

Iglesias continuing his great season. Hope he makes the Spain squad for the World Cup.

Villarreal 2-0 winners tonight over Osasuna thanks to two Danjuma goals. First one was a lovely flicked finish. Hope he can get over his injury issues and get a good run of games.

Lewandowski has scored 2 terrific goals against Villarreal in a matter of minutes.

Now Fati makes it 3-0 after 38 minutes. Villarreal getting humbled.

• Advertisement

Valverde with another long range rocket. No player in the top 5 leagues with more goals from outside the box. I can see what Suarez meant about him having similar qualities to Gerrard.

Was always an admirer of Valverde, but he seems to have stepped up to another level this season.

One of Madrids most important players these days, and a real star of the future.

Barca vs Athletic Club is live on ITV4 from 8pm. It should be a good game. Ernesto Valverde returns to the Camp Nou for the first time since they sacked him.

Disappointed Emery left Villarreal for Villa. Great coup for them but feels like a massive downgrade on his part. Reminds me of Ancelotti to Everton. Rumours that Quique Setien will replace him at Villarreal. He hasn't coached since Barca sacked him.

Lewandowski with a 93rd minute winner against Valencia. Tough on Gattuso's side but probably a deserved result. Torres had fluffed a great chance.

Atletico beaten by a 99th minute winner at Cadiz. Not been a good week for them and late drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Great win by my Betis against Sociedad a direct rival, 2-0 in San Sebastián. Great goal by the young lad cruz.

Madrid drop points. Didn't see that result coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A rollercoater based on Zidanes volley lol

Had a look at Girona's 2-1 win over Athletic Club. Girona's 2 young FBs look exciting prospects. The LB Miguel Gutierrez is very good at dribbling and spent most of his career on Madrid's books. The RB Arnau Martinez was strong defensively and came up at Barca who supposedly want him back. I'm keen to see more of them this season.

Pique to call it a day after the home game v Almeria.

He was a great servant to Barca, and won the lot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement