Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭fits

I meant yes the roll out of smart meters is a shambles.

they are being installed yeah fine. But the tariffs are not encouraging behaviour change.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes I'm in the same boat.

Current tariff with energia for new customers has 13c night rate, mine is 7c!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Yeah, it's gone up a lot. It was previously 16c. The EV was 5.7c.

I'm on a new build so the smart-meter was pre-installed, and I really didn't have the time or chance to get a Day/Night meter. Thankfully 50 to 60% of my electricity use is in the EV slot, and another 15% on the remaining Night period. Not looking forward to any additional price increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Agreed the standard night rate is criminal. The peak cheap night rate at 0.083c is fairly decent though, my main aim is to be able to charge the car(s) on this rate all year round, unless needed on a particular car I will no longer be diverting solar to the car as I get 18.5c FIT.

Hopefully adding a 20kW battery in the next 6 months and then hopefully store the extra solar in it so I can drawn during all times except for night peak, then charge it on night peak for 3 hours each night.

In 2-3 years I plan to add additional solar arrays and may change the strategy then as BG only pay FIT once per year.

Yes. And that's part of the reason I saw it's criminal. You could have a day night meter and pay 7c per kWh for 9 hours of night rate. This is what I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

What’s the work around on this ?

We’ve all been savvy on this topic, always nailing the best night, a lot of people invested in solar-

Is it the end of the good times for early adopters where we got used to <9c night rates as a given. I’ve been running two ev’s here for years - 600km a week x 2…all charging either at sub 8c night or solar.

Will I just have to suck up the higher pricing ? 5.4Kwp does the heavy lifting during the day but these new night rates are terrifying compared to what we have become accustomed.

I don’t really know where to divert my attention, double the solar array, bigger batteries or just wait and hope the market price on electricity start to drop, how long can the government keep giving away €600 per year to help keep the lights on ..

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

Thinking of finally ordering an EV in the next day or two, now that my old car has well and truly died. We have a smart meter but never switched to a smart plan. Have read some of the thread but getting a bit mithered by facts and figures. Is it still possible to change to day/night meter? Or do we think it's worth waiting till January or whenever and hoping there might be a sensible smart plan by then?

Workaround is more PV, more storage, less grid dependance

Yes! That would help. I could spend another 50k tomorrow and not be finished. It's an expensive hobby for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I don’t really know where to divert my attention, double the solar array, bigger batteries or just wait and hope the market price on electricity start to drop,

It mainly depends on your own situation. There isn't one simple answer. e.g. have you roof space, can you consume more of your generation, can you split some of the array east-west etc.

I would look at a bigger array (assuming roof space) before I would invest in more batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Comer1

An electrician on radio today warning people against saving money on energy by using dishwasher, washing machine, driers etc. at night. I have networked smoke detectors over my dishwasher and washing machine, but it's still food for thought 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'm surprised people would be put off by using appliances at night. Nobody seems to bat an eyelid at putting a wash on while they're out to the shops or for a walk. I throw the dishwasher on before I go to work to catch the solar.

How often are people's appliances going on fire? I've never seen it and I've lived in around 8 rental properties so have seen my fair share of different machines.

Out of those, the only one that has any increased risk is a dryer. And even at that, in a house with sound fuses and wiring, it's a negligible risk. Crossing the road is a higher risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭browne_rob5

I found this on which.co.uk when I looked into it a while back. Confirmed its negligible especially if you avoid certain brands.

I suppose the difference here is that the family are not asleep upstairs if you put it on while out during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Hi,

I signed up to the Energia EV plan back in August and got the 31% discount rate (night rate at €0.079).

I think Energia are after pulling a fast one. New rates in October and my ‘new’ unit costs are still at a 31% discount but on the new increased rates… discounted night rate is now listed as €0.1756… and day rate is €0.3360…

So, the discount of 31% on the standard rate is fixed but the actual rate has increased so what I pay has also increased….

Anybody else get this and did you speak with them?

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭John arse

Where did you get those new 'rates',was it in a bill?,i recently got a first one month bill and the rates were correct (27.4c/7.9).i signed up in August as well.

I have to say I feel I’m getting the run around too, now they are saying I’m not on the ‘EV Tariff’ - even though I’m locked in on the fixed ev rate …

Correspondence from energia below and the original rate signed up to that they sent me -

“The most recent bill as this covers the period of 10-07-2022 – 31-08-2022 this incorporates your old contract offer of 40% discount off the standard rate.

Your new contract offer is 31% discount off the standard rate. If you have been placed on an EV Tariff then this was originally a fixed unit rate meaning you still get your 31% discount off the standard rate and that a price increase to said standard rate wouldn’t affect the rate you are paying. This has now changed but should not affect your contractual offer.

Unfortunately I cannot see anything referencing the EV tariff on the account. Do you have anything from us to confirm the EV Tariff if so please feel free to forward this on so we can ensure the correct package offer is in place.

We look forward to hearing from you to have your query resolved”…

They sent them to me by email when I asked for clarification of my rates. I had heard that the rates were going up in 3rd October and that the EV plan was a %discount (as opposed to a fixed rate)…

Mike

I think they've made a mistake there because it meant to be fixed rates(as you no doubt know),my bill for 31 aug-3 oct was €103.i have an ev so very happy(so far)trying to hop off those night units as much as possible,good luck-tell us how you get on👍.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I signed up to them, again, last week. They honoured the 7.9c rate again as the registration on 19/09 didn't go through on their end. My email says discounted rate 36.63c/10.54c, assuming this is just the generic email due to the date? I'll definitely have to keep an eye on my first bill alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I’m having similar. First bill had regular day/night rates rather than the EV plan. Rang them, had bill cancelled and got a bit of an excuse about a backlog in the Exceptions team that sets people up for the plan. Will be back onto them this week if I don’t hear anything.

Just looked at that first bill i got,it says my rates are 0.3648-0.105 but thats BEFORE the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Is that not a smart meter plan? Maybe I'm way off but it says Smart in the name...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

That’s just higher standing charges then 😋

😎

And then off grid..

Or a smart meter and export a lot to cover the standing charges

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

no world records being broken for solar production today - one of the worst days weather wise in recent memory!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Am on Energia EV plan and just got my first bill since they raised their standard charges - i.e. confirmation whether or not the plan is as 'fixed' as expected! Happy here anyway - charged exactly what I should have been: 23.17c day and 6.67c night throughout the whole billing period.

Advertisement