Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm away and a shop beside us is selling a bottle of Jameson Lively. Anyone had it? Is it worth picking up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

What price is it going for?

Isn't it from a travel exclusive, so maybe one of those ones that's not worth what's it's usually prices at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

It's priced at €40 but I think the lad behind the counter is open to offers😂

I was wondering if anyone had tried it.

That sounds like an alright price for it I guess. I'd probably give it a shot. It looks similar to the blenders dog/coopers croze type thing they tried a few years back. I got a half size box set of them and enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Really interesting. It seems, from that blog I linked to, that you weren't the only one who thought that the single pot still release was their own whiskey. Even today on the site they frame it as "our pot still". I do feel like the language is questionable, I'm not saying there is a deliberate attempt to mislead but I feel like they could be more transparent, and aren't alone in that regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

I know it's top secret who is making it but can we deduce it's from midleton? Teeling have only started their own, same with drumshambo, bushmills don't do pot still, west cork neither. Cooley?

I believe Great Northern Distillery operates a pot still as well? But I don't know where Glendalough's different whiskies come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

The Glendalough pot still release was distilled by West Cork distillery. One of their first post still releases. I remember someone tell me at whiskey live in 2019. Apparently they distill the pot still whiskey for Samuel Gelstons irish whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

All the Spot whiskies just went up by a fiver on the Mitchell & Sons Website, disappointingly.

Post edited by Citizen Six on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Eh, 11

Jesus, I'm losing it. I read it as 2020, and thought it was only in a barrel for a year.

Revised/removed my earlier post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

I was just about to post same question !So any feedback on the new nice Jamie €60 four ( or five ?) cask pot still ?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭janiejones

I've had Nikka coffey grain and loved it, probably the fastest I've finished a bottle of whisky, cant think of anything similar to it.

I also had a Nikka taketsuru pure malt and was distinctly unimpressed, reminded me of cardhu 12 but the cardhu was nicer. And I didn't even like it that much

What started me on my proper whisky journey was a night in Killarney, Celtic whisky bar, a dram of Hakushu 12, which was just so different to anything I'd ever tasted before. Funnily I had a Japanese before a scotch. I moved onto lagavulin which was just amazing. Ardbeg was too harsh. Glenmorangie was too soft

Anyway. Should I buy a Nikka from the barrel? I've seen mostly positives on here but a few recent struggle comments.

My top 5 for me, in order, 1 and 2 interchangeable, are lagavulin 16, green spot leoville Barton, Nikka coffey grain, jameson black barrel, Waterford cuvee

That Hakushu probably belongs in there bit it's so long ago I can't say it would have the same impact on me now

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭sceach16

Getting back to earlier comments, this map shows distilleries and bonders. Lambay is a bonder!

I don't know the source/authority of the map/info but it rings true.

EDIT. The map may be somewhat out of date and some of the "red spots" may now be Green!

Post edited by sceach16 on

Yeah, get a bottle of From the Barrel. It's lovely. I opened one recently, bought alongside Coffey Grain a few years back. Still haven't opened the CG!

Based on whats being said there, it seems like there will be very limited whiskey coming from there until (or if) they scale up.

It sounds like it takes a lot of time to produce their whiskey, given the size of their stills. I'm a bit of a cynic, but it seems the owners are probably happy to keep using sourced whiskey, as it sells well for them.

I can understand companies that buy liquid, and age it themselves. There is an art to it. But I don't like the way they somewhat hide the fact it's what they do, and call themselves a distillery, while selling zero whiskey of their own distillation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Welcome to the murky world of Irish whiskey.

It's particularly murky when an operation has a distillery but still outsources, even after having their own aged stock.

I think we are going to see more and more "shopfront distilleries" - ones that produce a proportion of their distillate in their beautiful boutique visitor centres, but the majority of the liquid will be outsourced.

Just looking into Liberator whiskey, as I don't know much about them. But they seem to have a fairly clear and honest approach!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭conor678

Just opened a bottle of Ardbeg 10. it's a very nice drop. Nice balance of smoke and sweetness with lots of depth. Only starting to get into peated whiskey and needless to say I'll start with the scothes first.

Saying that I would be interested in trying sliabh liag midnight selkie to see how it compares.

On a side note I would buy maybe 4 'good' bottles a year, such as red breast, green spot, laphroig etc. Very much in the 60 to 80 euro range. I would then supplement my collection with 'steady sippers' such as 3 swallows, black barrel, black bush or teelings small batch etc.

Long story short I do agree with people here that it is very hard to find information on which whiskey

Ardbeg are generally among the most heavily peated Islay whiskies... To go heavier you're looking at at more niche things like Octomore or a few others. If you like the Ardbeg 10 I would suggest do the circuit and try the major distillers on Islay... Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Lagavulin etc and the small but mighty Kilchoman.

The Midnight Silkie is pleasant but I don't know if in terms of phenols / peatiness it's even comparable to lighter Islay. A better comparison might be a Highland distillery that has a bit of smoke but not too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Just in from SuperValu Lucan with €29 reduced from €35/36 ‘Grace O'Malley ‘

I reckon it’s very similar to the ‘Proclamation’ whiskey and shares an address in Mayo with that products bottler /bonder/reseller

Anyway it’s an honest drop at €29 but I wouldn’t pay the higher price where a Tesco Finest Single Malt would trump it fairly easily

It’s also a bit like the ‘Irish American’ blue labelled product that was once a single malt but is now ‘high malt content ‘ . That latter phrase is used on the Grace OMalley label also

It’s ‘proclaimed’ to be French oak , ex bourbon and rum casked . I miss the bit of Sherry influence I mostly enjoy ( I was planning to buy a Black Bush at €26 in OBriens or SuperValu ( May even have been €25 in Tesco yesterday ) but I can also appreciate a lovely blend . The thing is after something like the Lidl /Aldi Scotch ‘8’ which are drinkable enough no doubt you go back to the Black Bush and it seems twice a sweet red grapey !

I STILL don’t get quarter of the things ‘on the nose ‘ according to labels after 4-6 years or more regular whiskey responsible enjoyment but Grace goes down well and finishes nicely ( although I’m not sure I’d recognise ‘Middle Eastern Pastry ‘ even if hit with it )

It makes a refreshing change from the Powers /Bush stuff that’s now my bread and butter but if I had to choose a reasonably priced never emptying desert island bottle it would prob still be BlackBush

Mad to see that the €250 (now 260) Barry Crockett is no longer the dearest stocked .OBriens had a €410 Bush 21/27 (?) tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭kuang1

Gold spot available from Master of Malt at the moment.

£110 & free delivery if you can use an address in the North.

Otherwise €105 + shipping to the Republic. And the chance of customs added of course.

Limited to 1 per customer.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/spot-whiskey/gold-spot-9-year-old-whiskey/?srh=1

Didn't think MoM would even allow you to select an ROI address anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

I was in Scotland last week and was presented with a bottle of auchentoshan three wood.

My usual normal tipple is Roe &co, but do like some scotch especially edradour.

The auchentoshan is unusual - not entirely sure I like it. Very strong on the bourbon and a strong aftertaste.

Very dark. Probably more of an after dinner relaxant than a late night tipple as there's a sweetness to it.

It may grow on me as I sort of like the long lingering aftertaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭adaminho

A fun video of the selection we have at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Jameson Crested and Caskmates at €25 in Supervalu today and tomorrow

Advertisement