Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ewc1978

I finished the Amsterdam Marathon about 90 mins ago! Still sitting here in the stands soaking it all up watching the other runners finish.

Must say it was fantastic having the finish area in the stadium. An experience I’ll never forget. A shiny new PB also in the bag! I agree Croke Park would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

I just wish everyone involved with Dublin Marathon from council, Gardai, organisers etc could all work together to make it a better route and finish.

When you leave the Phoenix park there’s nothing exciting or scenic about the route.

A lot of the big city marathons have some sort of ending. It’s just feel you can have you run but whatever you do don’t cause much of pain to the rest of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Stadium finish would be great so long as public can access it, not sure how ready GAA/IRFU would be to allow that.

Problem is in this country we have no stadium with an athletics track around it, and probably won't ever have.

Only chance would be Aviva I think given how much easier it would be to get people in and out of with public transport, with soccer and rugby internationals in Nov though I don't see them allowing second class citizens like us runners on their pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I absolutely love finishing in Merrion Sq. Sitting around on the Georgian steps afterwards sharing war stories is a great buzz.

The finishing straight through those crowds, the buildings magnifying the noise is really special I think.

I wouldn't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Now though to one of the most important questions.

Has McGrattans gotten itself a nice range of beers yet? Few pale ales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Agreed. I think it’s amazing running down Mount Street towards Merrion square and getting louder and louder as you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 turfman1

Wow congrats on the PB. My sister ran her first Marathon in Amsterdam today! She texted earlier to say it was a fantastic race, loved being in the stadium before and afterwards.

As a big GAA head myself I think finishing in Croke Park would be unreal, would be the closest I’d have ever got to playing there!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I’m not saying it’s not a great finish where it is now to be fair.

Was just thinking to myself watching Amsterdam that a finish in somewhere like Croke Park would be epic in my opinion anyways. I’m not calling for it all to be changed because of my musings!

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Pyongyang marathon also finishes in a massive stadium.

A totally surreal marathon in its self.

once In a lifetime.

Oh I know. I finished Amsterdam Half in the stadium last year and there is certainly something exciting about it especially once you are onto to track itself. Was fairly chaotic getting out of there afterwards though I think we were so paranoid about Covid last year the crowds scared us a bit.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

Waterford FC, half marathon used to finish there. Surely there are more like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Does anyone know how many timing mats there are. Might have a couple of supporters coming out to support but if I've gone past mile 22 they've missed me and don't want them waiting around for me.

Start

10k - Park

20k - Dolphins barn

21k - Crumlin Rd

30k - Terenure

40k - Merrion Rd

Finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Perfect, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Just looking back at all the hoopla about the increase in bibs in 2019 to 22,500, but there ended up 17,800 finishers, a 21% no-show rate. It seems logical that as the race entrant number increases this year to 25,000, the number of no-shows will increase also, considering the number of bibs carried over from 2020.

Regarding the Expo, the gouge is on....

€7 for parking within the RDS grounds, for those who want to get in and out it's €3 an hour on the street.

https://www.dublinmarathonexpo.com/venue

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

RDS always charged. Use to be €6 before covid. You can get free parking on a Saturday on roads near by last time I was in that area over the summer. Make sure to check the signs though as I've seen different sides of road with different times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

Forgot about the 40km marker. It always made sense to have one near the end so people have an idea when people they know where close to the finish line

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Would expect a bigger drop out this year as alot would of planned to run it over the last few years and probably thought they could last Jan, but now looks unlikely.

Plenty of entries going around. I know a few friends are using entries for a pacing gig as they got them for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Having run two marathons in my life, Dublin a few years back and Amsterdam yesterday, I can say that they both provide a very different but equally special start and finish. The stadium gives Amsterdam its USP but the Georgian quarter does the same for Dublin. Great noisy local support at both it must be said.

Also, we got water and sports drink out of cups yesterday. It was no big deal. Bottles are easier to carry along with you for a bit between stations but drinking out of paper cups really isn't that hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Tullamore Half is another. And the Castleblayney 10 mile finishes with lap of the GAA ground. That's just two I've run this year so I'm sure there are plenty more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TAFKA_hometruths_real

• Registered Users Posts: 19 TAFKA_hometruths_real

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd much rather finish a marathon along a straight road, with the crowd hanging over the barriers trying to spot their loved ones, cheering and with the road not being too wide.

London Marathon is good for photos, but the final 100m is a bit dead as far as the crowd is concerned as it's a ticketed stand I think. Much better running mile 25 along The Embankment with the crowds all going nuts.

Dublin finish is better than London I think for support.

Sitting down in a sports stadium isn't a great way to generate supporters enthusiasm for several hours of a marathon finish I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Having now run both Dublin and Amsterdam, I'd take the finish in an Olympic stadium every time.

They did an amazing job and support was everywhere.

Even the start in the stadium was impressive and I was surprised at how quickly I was into my stride.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I have done a couple of Stadium finishes (Seville and Munich). I much preferred the atmosphere of the straight line finishes in Dublin and Rotterdam. The old finish of Pearse street, Nassau St. and Merrion Sq was better than the current finish. Hands down, Valencia's final 2kms and finish with the last 100-200m over a temporary pontoon is the best for me so far.... The track finishes in a large, relatively empty stadium was a little soulless and flat. It sounds like Amsterdam is a lot better than my experiences.

Cork has a nice finish in the middle of city, Barcelona also with a savage view in front of you for the finishing straight.

New York not so much as it's void of people like London.

Dublin had a great finish year ago with the loop of Trinity into Nassau, pity they couldn't keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Maybe it's just me but the finish of a marathon is pretty unimportant if you're emptying the tank over the last couple of k, it's often a blur to me anyway!!. Berlin under the Brandenburg is special mind you. Frankfurt finishes inside their equivalent of the 3Arena with load music, flashing lights, streamers and ticker tape- thought I was having an acid trip🤣

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭cullenswood

What's the story with crossing over Mount Street to get to the other side, after we are corralled down Baggot St?

How far back do you have to go to be able to get across the race line. I can't remember from last time but will want to get to near Westland row.

Advertisement