Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should I care about Climate Change while China has 43 New Coal Fired Power Stations in the works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well they have business with you, and with each other.

Reportedly US conservatives are alarmed (around election time imagine) about China buying up tracts of US farmland for example.

Ah, Free Market Capitalism. Great gimmick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What China land China buys in the West is small, its hoovering up land in Africa, and South America.

Yeah they are the dominant powers now. In China there is no one to call out something wrong.

Like any long lasting Communist society they have that whole Empire as a culture vibe built up over many many centuries, where their is a culture of savagery against any dissent or disagreement.

China is fascinating, there was a cultural obsession with ostentatious consumerism and wealth even 4000 years ago, koi carp, still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

A country like Taiwan could build multiple Intel sizes fabs in a single year due to the demand for newer gen chips.

It is little known how power hungry advanced chip manufacturing is. And how Asian governments will support this critical industry at almost all costs. Chips being the new oil...

TSMC makes most of the worlds most advanced chips, including Apple's chips.

Who is buying those phones and tablets?

https://english.cw.com.tw/article/article.action?id=2766

It's hardly realistic though, is it?

It's the modern model for economic success. For most people. Developing nations have seen what we have, and want it too. You really expect them to not seek to have the same standards of living as we had for decades?

I'm very much a minimalist. I don't care much for possessions beyond the basics.. but I can appreciate that most people are not like that. They're driven to accumulate. That's not going to change. Even if disaster strikes, and they lose it all, they'll immediately look to accumulate once more to make up for what they lost.

It is little known how power hungry advanced chip manufacturing is.

20 minutes ago you confidently said "one modern chip plant takes the entire power generation of a city" and absolutely tore into another user for not taking your words at face value.

Now some awful backpedaling.

• Advertisement

• “why should I ____ if these other people don’t”

such a childish attitude.

Not sure who you are fighting with ?

You want to fight with me or something?😄

I tore into the user because he/she completely ignored what I wrote.

I'm just stating the facts. Most people know almost nothing about the power demands of modern chip manufacturing, of the chips that they use in their phones.

They are actually part of the problem when they buy an iPhone. They need to pay attention to that.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/03/tsmc-samsung-and-intel-have-a-huge-carbon-footprint.html

The Hsinchu-headquartered firm, which makes chips for the likes of Apple and Tesla, uses more electricity each year than Taiwan’s capital Taipei, according to Greenpeace.

A stat for the entire firm? Not a single plant, like you claimed?

one modern chip plant takes the entire power generation of a city

Your data bunks your own claim. All of their fabs, combined, are comparable to Taipei, per claim from Greenpeace.

Taipei is a mega city with massive energy needs You aren't impressed yet ?

Ok, I will give you more stats even though you could Google it yourself.

Shifting the burden of proof are you?

You've already self-bunked one of your claims go ahead for more.

• Advertisement

One plant in Taichung. The small nm chips require usage of ASML EUV machines which are enormously power hungry.

TSMC's Taichung 2nm Plant Projected To Use 100,000 Cubic-Meters Of Water Daily and Billions of Kilowatt-Hours of Electricity In A Year

https://english.cw.com.tw/amp/article/1663

The assessment found that the new TSMC plant, expected to enter mass production in 2020, will increase electricity demand in the park by 46 percent, from 1.52 gigawatts (1 gigawatt = 1 million kilowatts) originally to 2.22 GW after TSMC moves in.

According to documents the park provided to the EPA, TSMC’s 5-nanometer plant will need an estimated 720 megawatts of electricity, roughly equal to the increase in power the park applied for.

Post edited by maninasia on

Way to go on dumbing down the overall topic, and the sentiments expressed within it.

It's a reasonable position to take. Ireland, even if it managed to surpass all its environmental initiatives.. wouldn't change the effect that a major nation like China or the US contributes in world pollution and the effect they have on climate change. It also wouldn't change that these countries continue to pollute to the degree that they do, or that other developing nations like India, or Nigeria will seek to emulate the economic success of China, by establishing their own manufacturing bases when demand inevitably is withdrawn from China.

The point remains that we have very little impact on climate change in comparison to other countries, and our efforts certainly aren't going to reverse the damage that they've done, continue to do, or are likely to do in the future. So, why should we burden the ever increasing costs involved, when they're unlikely to cause any effective change?

What I find childish is this need to be so disrespectful of differing opinions on a topic such as this. It's one of the problems I have with the overall environment threads, as they lean towards aggressive and toxic approaches towards those who haven't signed up to the "save the planet" mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I feel bad for them too

I also felt bad for the people who have already lost everything because of the affects of climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Because the west is basically pissing against the wind while the power houses of the world don't give a **** while crippling our own people, does that sound childish to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

And the first thing that'll happen when there's a more equitable distribution of money, is the population will explode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

But we've already shown that that's not true.

The power houses of the world are investing unbelievable amounts of cash into renewables, but they're also investing in fossil fuels as well because right now the best energy storage device on the planet is coal, oil, and gas.

Some people love to point fingers and use whataboutery as an excuse to do nothing.

"Why should we do anything when China's doing nothing?"

"China is actually doing far more than we're doing"

"But what about XYZ?"

"Yep, still doing more than us though..."

The OP talks like Ireland and China are in some way comparable. Ireland is a speck of a country. There are over 100 cities in China with a greater population than our capital. Per population, if we built one coal power plant, they would need 280, not counting the vast differences in industrial power. But that doesn't give us a free pass to burn tires. We are every bit responsible for the planet.

Do you honestly think the Chinese govt, or the Chinese people don't know or care about Climate Change?

They certainly know about it and care about it on an emotional level.

But it seems on a financial and political level they have prioritised a cheap electricity supply still instead with continued construction of coal plants.

And air pollution is an absolutely massive problem to see they are very aware of the negative effects of fossil fuels.

At least their transport system is rapidly electrifying. Very impressive in that regard.

I would say they have prioritised quick and secure electricity supply.

China has lots of coal and can at a push supplement it from Australia. They don't have a lot of gas and are heavily reliant on their neighbours.

Coal plants have quick payback and can be quickly decommissioned too, compared to alternatives.

It's not great, but people need power 24/7 and renewables just can't guarantee that at scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭daheff

China seem to have this attitude. How can we keep toddling along making minimal impact with our sacrifices when China/India/US are pumping out CO2 emissions like that?

OP has a fair point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would have thought the complete opposite. More wealth, education etc. = less kids.

Yes it is a very fair point given the fairly extreme changes that are being asked of society here by 2030 , except for farmers they got off very lightly as usual and the rest of us have to compensate which is crazy.

We don't see China or India upending their society with regards climate change .

And Ireland historically has not had much industry, many countries cut their emissions simply by closing their heavy industry factories first.

I hate to labour the point, but you're not seeing it (in China at least) because you're not looking. Western news only focuses on China regarding Uighur Muslims, Taiwan, China's military or COVID. Negative news stories.

How often do you see positive news stories from a country with a population x4 of USA?

Here's one

“China’s already a leader in so many parts of the decarbonization effort,” said Norman Waite, energy finance analyst at the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA).

“They’re either leading or right in the pack with everybody else in the efforts to decarbonize. It’s not a one- or two-company effort. This is a bunch of companies who are pressing forward,” he said.

I would almost guarantee that China will reach its emissions targets. The US, Germany and France will make excuses for decades to come.

In terms of electrification of transport, they are leagues ahead of Europe and the US. BEV sales in China are 30% of the market in 2022. Ireland is 13% and we think we're great.

As you may guess I know a lot about China , I can eveh read Chiinese .

And I already posted about their electrification of transport.

Anyhoo...don't assume anything about other posters , please.

China are not only miles ahead of Europe and the US in the delivery of green energy, they are ahead in the technology. There was a report that business leaders met Ursula VDL a few weeks ago urgently asking that the EC looks at providing direct support to EU firms to try to close the gap in green energy research and tech or EU will fall too far behind, with a potentially huge impact on future competitiveness

Those selectively pointing at china’s coal use are just looking for excuses because they don’t want to do what needs to be done

that said, we need to be as pragmatic as China in ensuring that we have sufficient fossil fuel infrastructure and storage while we transition

but, bottom line, the west is firmly missing out on an opportunity to lead in green tech

We don't see China or India upending their society with regards climate change

That really depends on what you mean by upending. During my time in China, I saw recycling bins placed just about everywhere in the city, encouragement for people to separate waste, to limit/reduce car/lorry usage during certain times to reduce smoke pollution, etc. TBH Everything I've seen Europeans do to combat climate change or pollution, I've seen in China. The government does care, mostly due to the effects on a falling population rate, and the health risks affecting economic success, but they care nonetheless. It's a far cry from the position the government had during Mao's time.

When I first arrived in Xi'an around 2008/9, air pollution was pretty bad. Not as bad as some of the mining/industrial provinces but there would be clearly smog throughout most of the year. By 2020, most of that smog was gone, except during the winter months when the coal power stations fired up. Definite improvement..

However, China faces serious problems which prevent a lot of effective change from happening. Corruption within the police or local government departments, means that the CCP mandates are often ignored or given face value. The community culture of silence on social issues, means that there's a lot of pressure not to complain about businesses doing illegal dumping. And, then there's a general problem with education among the middle-aged, where they'll still burn their rubbish, or dump crap into the river nearby.

Honestly, I think China is doing brilliant stuff regarding the environment considering what they have to work with. Their population is massive. I don't think most people who haven't been to China or India can really comprehend the scale involved.. or the problems with educating them to the level whereby traditional opinions are left behind. Added to that, the institutional corruption seriously hampers what can and is implemented consistently. People have this odd view of China as being under the thumb of the CCP, but there's a lot more going on than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Maybe eventually, but when you're in the midst of a crisis caused by global warming, time is the one thing you don't have. More education for women is absolutely a help, but heck even in Ireland it was a challenge up till not too long ago, due to the domination of the criminal enterprise known as the RCC. Any country where religions dominate will be bad for educating women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Asserted without evidence rather than pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

A lot of what we are being asked to do is driven as much by industry as any particular concern for the climate. There's money to be made in energy and distributing it and in how it's used. It's as much about churning the market as anything else, so in this case Green industrialists can turn a few bob and get rich, as opposed to oil producers. And what happens when a new technological solution comes along? You guessed it, churn the market again and we'll see all these monstrous wind machines and vast banks of solar arrays left to scar the landscape as the boyos who built them will have moved on and the cost of deconstruction will be too high. Not too far from here up in the Comeraghs, there are the rusting remains of TV transmitters needed to distribute terrestrial TV signals in the 1980s. TDs got elected on the back of putting them up in Donegal in TC deflector campaigns. Technology moves on and they became redundant, but none of those involved in inflicting these eyesores have bothered to remove them. And don't me started on solar panels manufactured using dirty fuel sources in China, transported around the world, all so we can massage our green consciences.

• Advertisement

We have some of the most extreme wealth disparities in the history of civilization right now and the population has climbed to its highest levels ever.

Advertisement