Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Schiphol mess

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

That's what I was going to say. Where are you trying to get to?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Went through there Monday night and it wasn't too bad, but they really need better signage. Its not very clear at all where to go when you arrive (I was able to go straight to security rather than check in or drop bags), and there's not enough staff on to ask questions to on where you need to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I connected Non-Schengen to Schengen in 30 minutes the other day. I have to connect Non-Schengen to Non-Schengen in a few weeks time and I only have an hour but no security or passport checks.

I think if you're a non-EU citizen then its pretty awful and if you have hold luggage its pretty awful. But, touch wood, if you're travelling with hand luggage only it's not TOO bad and KLM are very good for rerouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Got screamed at again on Saturday morning going through the Privium gate into Schengen. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just to keep people updated - I few Cork - Brussels and back via Amsterdam the other day... hand luggage only. 10 minutes delay (afternoon/evening) getting through Schengen passport control both ways. All flights ontime and seemingly no staffing problems.

I did have to re-route on the way home due to KLM cancellations but I think they are because of the passenger cap. The cap seems to be (partly) working anyway and so far I've never had any problems connecting. But I wouldn't hand-luggage connect less than an hour as it stands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Was thinking of taking a couple of days away to Amsterdam at the end of October, am I mad to be thinking of flying into Schiphol at the moment? There'd be no transfers involved and I'd only have hand luggage. Was thinking of booking the 6am flight from Cork and then returning on the (roughly) 8.30pm flight two or three days later. I know I'd have to arrive at the airport 4 hours before my flight. Could I still run into problems and should I just forget it in the current climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Officer999

I flew into Schiphol airport from Dublin with KLM on Saturday just gone and it was a total shambles upon leaving the aircraft. The worst I have ever seen.

We landed at approx 13:30. Upon entering the terminal from the plane there must have been a one to two hour queue for the exit towards baggage claim. It was backed all the way back to the Heineken bar all along the duty free shops. And they were only letting small groups through, say 10-15 people at a time. And there was hundreds of people queuing.

And once you made it through that, you had to queue at passport control. I queued at the EU passport self check scanner which took almost an hour.

I have never queued this long to actually get out of an airport before!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mumser

My son is flying from Schipol to Dublin next week on an early evening flight. Hand luggage only. He has his graduation v early the following morning. It’s a once in a lifetime event so we’re nervous of either his Ryanair flight being cancelled at short notice or his not making the flight due to delays at Schipol.

I’m keeping an eye on the Schipol app and seeing some of the Ryanair evening flights being cancelled last week. It looks like the cancellations only appear on the app on the day. I can’t get any information from the airline. Does anyone know how long before a flight are Ryanair notifying of cancellations?

Also, am I right in understanding it is best to get to Schipol 4 hours before departure even travelling with hand luggage? Even if the airlines email says different.

Many thanks

If you fly back on the late evening flight you will have no problems. I havent had to que once coming home on the evening flight and i have flown about 14 times since last September. Now i do have privium but there were no ques all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In a few weeks I'm connecting through Schiphol, non Schengen to non Schengen. Can do hand luggage only, does that mean I should be ok and not have to go through security? I've a short connection on the outbound leg (55 minutes)

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Thanks Board Walker. How was it flying into Schiphol, particularly if it was an early morning flight? Were you waiting 2+ hours like @Officer999 above? Still not sure whether to chance it, and if the worry of missing a flight or a cancellation would hang over me.

I actually had a dog with me in a cabin bag so I skipped the queue to be honest.

I got a lot of dirty looks but I couldn’t queue 2 hours just to queue for another hour at passport check with a dog.

I flew back to Dublin on the Sunday and it wasn’t as bad. I already had my boarding pass so didn’t need to go to the check in desk. Security took about an hour. There is a priority lane for security so it might be worth paying extra for that if your worried about missing a flight

Amsterdam Dance Event this week through to Monday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭elefant

There are school holidays in the Netherlands at the moment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

How did the passport check with the dog go?

Im travelling on the 29th of November from Valencia and need to do a self transfer to catch a flight to Doha with Qatar.

Self transfer time is around 3 hours, hoping this will be enough to get through and check in again with my dog.

May book a hotel just incase I miss and have to be rebooked to the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

How is bringing a dog into the passenger cabin allowed?

If this is the new normal I'm never flying again.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you've a little handbag dog, all airlines allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its always been the case too, nothing "new normal" about it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yep nothing new it’s been common in many countries and many airlines for decades

• Advertisement

Absolutely no issue. I was at a self scanner so didn’t have to speak with anyone

But it wasn’t a connecting flight like your planning. Is the dog going in the cabin for the Doha flight? I know KLM are strict with long haul flights and having a dog in the cabin

Disgusting.

Just another example of how everyone in society is obliged to kowtow to the selfish desires of dog owners. Ugh. I've stepped in more than enough shíte and endured more than enough nighttime barking to last me a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I don't think there's any chance of you stepping in sh1te in the cabin, unless there's a stag or hen going to Liverpool or Malaga who've had a few too many.

Cats can go in the cabin too, there was even a pet hedgehog flew out of Cork with its owner a few years back, and that's not a wind up.

There was a very lost turtle went on a Ryanair to the Canaries, again in the cabin.

Plenty of pets fly with their owners, no harm in it. Most other passengers won't even notice cos they sit quietly in their little soft travel bags happy out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

By god you’d have a far far more peaceful enjoyable flight with almost any animal over some of the humans who’ve unfortunately been let onto planes over the years…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I'm almost certain Ryanair don't allow small dogs on board now. They may have trialled it at some stage. So the "all airlines" allow it is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

I've traveled on plenty of flights with animals in the cabin and they've never caused any issues.

Human babies that scream for hours on end on the other hand... Now theres something that happens all the time and should be banned in an ideal world.

The world has gone mad, and your assertion that there's no harm in it is not shared by me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm flying in tonight but i imagine at 7.30pm itll be quiet.

I usually drive to Arnhem but i couldn't get a car and there are rail works in Utrecht so god knows what time ill get in

• Advertisement

Was looking to take a work trip to Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and when I went to book the flights all evening flights to Dublin with KLM, Aer Lingus and Ryan Air have suddenly disappeared. Schiphol are obviously still having to cull flights to keep passenger numbers down even this late in the year. Beware if you are taking evening flights out of Schiphol!

Advertisement