Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Has Sentence Reduced Despite Repeatedly Stamping On Old Age Pensioners Head

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

May that Judge never have a good day again in his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The look of him alone, evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Click bait post there. All they did was suspend the final two years when he would be on release any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

For 2 years of parole on a 15 year sentence for proper rehabilitation practices?

No there's a few words. The judges plainly defended the man's original sentence and only granted the 2 years under the condition of his productive rehabilitation.

13 years is higher than most sentences I see coming out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

You've sort of just reinforced my point as such. I think the original 15 year sentence should have been honoured.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

• open the thread
    • read the OP
    • click the link
    • realise the OP didn't even read the link
    • cop that it's a nothingburger.
    • closes thread

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It still is. He's not a free man at 13. He's a free man at 15. He's an Eddie halvey for years 14 15. And he didn't even kill any kids.

But sure if there are no words: /thread.

from reading the article the most disgusting part was the barristers comments.

ah but the crater has depression and anxiety judge

so do I but I’m nary out beating pensioners within an inch of their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

I have similar disorders never beat anyone in my life or even been involved with the Garda. Well apart from stop checks for tax and that.

Really hate when these are used as excuses. It makes me personally embarrassed to talk about it because I just find myself worrying people will think I’m gonna get up and flip my lid for no reason.

I appreciate when there’s genuine links between the crime and relevant mental health issues (say a schizophrenic who flipped and did something mad), but when you have used as some get out of jail (early) card, I can’t deal with that shite.

• Advertisement

I wager the disorders mentioned came from not getting a fix by the looks of it.

I'm not taking that scumbag's side, but honestly I do have to strongly disagree that the barrister's comments are "disgusting". Remember the barrister is only there to present the case of the defendant. It's the judge who passes the sentence, not the barrister, it's entirely up to the judge to swallow any of that bolloxology about the assailant's nightmares and anxiety. There's zero onus on the barrister to actually believe a syllable that comes from their client's mouth, they still have to give a robust and professional defence as every citizen of the state is entitled to demand.

The fact that the judge was bit of a cnut has nothing to do with the barrister, he's merely presenting the case for the judge to deal with as the judge sees fit.

True but it's the classic excuse take average joes like me with same conditions how often would you hear of the likes of me going out and beating 7 shades out of a pensioner. It's always this or hard upbringing or substance abuse. Guess what I had a hard upbringing. Would not harm a fly.

Me neither. Most families on my street didn't have a bean growing up in the 70's. I've yet to commit a murder. Or a robbery. Or an assault on a pensioner. All I'm saying is that if you look at the regional local small town newspapers around Ireland there seems to be this common misconception that it's always barristers and solicitors who are putting 150+ conviction drug addled thugs back on the streets.

It isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The usual whinging

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Did you read the piece? He's gained Sweet FA. He would be out well before that anyway on good behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The main thing i take away from this is that the original judge handed down a decent sentence in the first place. More of that please, but it does make me wonder about sentencing guidelines, and how flexible/vague they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

If there was no sentencing discount for guilty pleas, there would be more offenders taking their chances with a full-trial putting victims through unnecessary hardship.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please read the site ToUs and in particular the section saying you must not post anything that could be considered as "scandalising the courts"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement