Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KBC exiting Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Got my letter today about mortgage transfer and was surprised at the following line:

”If your fixed rate expires after the Service Transfer Date the notification will be sent by BoI outlining their rate options at that time.”

Does that mean BoI will not be honouring existing fixed rates in the new year even if we’ve a couple of years left on the KBC agreed one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

My interpretation is that they will honour any fixed rates currently on your mortgage, but once that period is over, in you case in a couple of years, you'll be offered whatever BOI have to offer at that time.

I suspect this line is to stop people who request a fixed rate, but don't complete the paperwork before the transfer to BOI happens, in that case you'd be offered whatever BOI rates there are.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Started my process to move my mortgage and current account. PTSB have a 4-year rate of 2.05%, which is lower than 2.25% I'm currently on.

Their Current Account has 6e fees, but if you get your salary into it and pay your mortgage from it you get 2% cash back, which more than covers the fees.

Overall I should be better off after changing, but there's a load of annoying paperwork in-between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hrm, PTSB will actually do a mortgage low enough for me to move (the other specific KBC/UB exit deals all had minimums that were more than my balance). Must do the sums on that based on assuming the BOI rates could be nearer 4 by the time my current 2.25% expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

If your balance is below minimum mortgage amounts I'd say legal fees would be too much to make switching worthwhile.

You'd be better just fixing with kbc for longer before switching. At a guess even if you fix at a slightly higher rate with kbc for a longer term you'd end up better off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭techdiver

Got my letter today finally outlining my new fixed mortgage rate. The letter was dated on the 14th of September, so took a full month to get sent out.

2.85% for 10 Years. I had also looked for a reduction in term to match which I rang about a few times, but was told today that has been applied also (reducing from 22 years to 10). So my new rate and term is 2.85% fixed for 10 years. I wanted certainty and I think 2.85% fixed for the remainder of my mortgage is good.

The net result is I won't be subject to any rate movement whims of BOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭veryangryman

So i've moved my wages and bills to Credit Union. Really cannot be arssd to close the KBC account. What happens with accounts of zero (or close to it) balance that are just left

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not a lot , but leaving the account open runs the risk of some charge or other hitting the account and then your credit rating taking a hit.

You can close the account just by sending them a completed form from this link

You don't have to go to a branch or anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Is there a way to disable all direct debts from their online site?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

No.. I assume that just closing the account would do the same job though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You still need to cancel/amend the direct debit with your supplier. Cancelling with the bank doesn't end the contract with the company. They will still submit the debit request to the bank, and you will still be liable for those amounts, as well as any additional penalties they may have for failed debits

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Ah yeah I already did that. No DD have hit my account in two months, just thought it would be best disable all DD wait and a month and then cancel the account. But I suppose it makes no sense to do it that way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You can delete a direct debit in the transfers screen of the app. I think it does stop the money coming out of your account. You might want to double check by ringing them though.

I didn't get any cashback this month so it looks to be over, I should have gotten the credit yesterday.

Has anyone submitted a flexible repayment instruction recently?

I had sent one in to reduce my mortgage term. I had verbal confirmation last week that this had been processed but today I received a letter from KBC saying I need to fill this form (flexible payment instruction) out and send it back again.

I called KBC for confirmation and they reckon it's a mistake and that I wasn't the only one to call about this today, so it seems some letters were sent out in error.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

I just got the letter confirming my new fixed term on the 19th of October and I applied for it on the 20th of September.

So a full month from application until confirmation letter just like for some others here.

They processed the application much faster though as the October 1st payment was already taken with the lower/new amount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Why not simply cancel the current fixed deal and take out a new 5 year fixed rate deal with KBC. There is unlikely to be an early redemption penalty on the current fixed rate and you can have the new rate agreed and completed in a few days.

No legal fees, no hassle and days rather than months to complete.

Assuming your balance is under 100k, then the 1500-2000 legal fees will wipe out any savings and it may even cost you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I intend to have it paid down in ~4 years (there's only a bit over 7 left, that wouldn't be a substantial change); but I'll call to ask about rate options now.

edit: I've got over a year longer than I thought on the fixed so I may just try a bit of a sack-cloth and try pay the entire lot off when that expires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Thanks. I'll just check mine too but looks like there's no reason to keep my credit card now so might as well move that. Mortgage already gone to AIB. Just need to set up a joint current account and savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Savings Accounts being transferred to BOI

I got a letter today from KBC telling me that my savings account would automatically transfer to BOI in the coming months, unless I chose to transfer my funds elsewhere.

I’m after opening a new current account with PTSB & am doing all my day to day banking with them, but am just wondering if I let KBC transfer my savings to BOI would I be able to access them (withdraw / lodge funds) without actually opening a BOI current account?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Well at minimum you can expect there is going to be some kind of identification validation process, they are not going to hand out funds without that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Yes, I have no problem with that, but I just wonder if we’ll have to open a BOI (presumably with fees etc) current account in order to be able to transfer funds in & out of the savings account?

Not sure about BOI but certainly the existing KBC Savings accounts would not let you transfer funds outside of KBC - You could receive funds from anywhere , but if I wanted to send the money anywhere other than to another of my KBC accounts I had to move it the the current account 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭raxy

I could be wrong but I don't think banks are allowed make you take other products so you should be able to keep your savings when it transfers but I don't see why you would.

It'll just be harder to access & it's not like any of the banks are giving interest to make a savings account worthwhile.

I'd just close it & open 1 with ptsb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Q&A

They won't stop you accessing it but don't expect any online service. Expect to queue up if you ever want to see that money again. They will do everything to encourage you to have a fee paying current account with them I would think.

I have a BOI savings account that allows me to send money to other non BOI accounts, using their mobile app. I don't have a current account with BOI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've moved all of my direct debits to my BOI account now and want to go about having my mortgage payment taken from my BOI account instead of KBC. Has anyone done this yet and know how long it takes? I'm just worried that if I change my salary to my BOI account but there is a delay in the mortgage payment moving then there wont be funds in my KBC account to cover it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Daith

I sent them an email with the change of direct debit form attached. They responded pretty quickly but I made sure to have enough money in my KBC account to cover the payment just in case.

I sent them an email the day after my normal payment date and it was changed to my new bank the following month.

Got my letter today confirming my new mortgage term reduction (22 years down to 10 years) on my new fixed rate of 2.85% for the full term.

Letter was dated 12th of October!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would imagine the printing services in the main to banks are running at maximum capacity right now. Those kind of things are not easy to scale up for a once off event.

Advertisement