Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Gonna lose my mind, they shouldn't have even been in a position to score in the first place as we should have had a corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Why can't there be a 10sec check for dubious corners, would be so easy to enforce..play on until review done,if correct decision awarded to begin with carry on,if not blow whistle..would save the linos legs too

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Robert2014

Yesterday was a perfect example of how VAR should work. There was a tussle for the ball, it looked like a potential foul but may be not too, let the play develop and call it back if it turns out to be a foul after all. It's just all the messing with VAR over the past few seasons that no one trust it to get to the right outcome.

It is galling however for Man City to be complaining on VAR decisions when they won the league based on the most obvious handball not given, where the referees apologised afterwards.

Yesterday showed as well that when we are fully focused we are still a match for anyone. Everybody was 100% mentally focused on the game so no gifts, stupid mistakes and suddenly when we can stay in the game, chances will open for us. We need to treat the next games in the same way. Hopefully we can pull ourselves up the table before the World Cup begins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Man City condemn but don't really condemn their fans for their behaviour at yesterdays game blaming yet you guessed it the bus attack for it lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If we can pick up 2 league wins this week and we should the league is going to be looking alot better for us. Players needed that yesterday, they needed to believe we are still a top side. There is just too much quality in this squad to be playing like we have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Send Toby over, he trained himself to be as good with his weak foot as strong, I think he said an hour a day, no mention of how long it took but it was easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

No mention of there own manager losing the head and his histrionics of purposely winding up the Liverpool fans when the ref went to check the VAR and disallow the goal.

Very surprising that City would leave that out of there statement if they want to help with an open honest and full investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

None of those comments from Man City surprise me in the least. That entire organisation is rotten to the core, from the supporters to the staff.

It'll be a case study in sports-washing one day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I meant to ask but my brother, a Utd fan, was going nuts over the amount of injury time played in the second have. Why was there ten minutes allowed did something happen or was it just because the ref is from Manchester?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I’m travelling back now myself from the game, Anfield was electric the atmosphere was incredible. Great performance and great win just reading back the thread always great after a big game. Up the reds.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

I wouldn't usually be an advocate of moving him there, but Klopp might be forced into using Trent as a right hand side midfielder over the next couple games. Maybe dependent on the fitness of Konate.

There is no natural LW in the squad now, and I don't really want to see Carvalho, Nunez or Bobby out there. We've seen a 4-4-2 at times in recent games and I think Elliott could play in the left of midfield with his left foot, with Robbo providing the pace on that side. Trent on the right, backed up by Gomez. A bit of a lack of real pace there though on that flank

Something like

Ali

Gomez Konate VVD Robbo

Trent Fabinho Thiago Elliott

Salah Nunez/Bobby

As I wrote that out, it seems extremely narrow.

It's a real shame that Jota is out again, as he was just coming back into a bit more rhythm too.

I doubt UEFA or the French authorities care or will take any notice or try to do better in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I dunno where he got 6 mins from for injury time but then there was the Jota injury at the end of injury time added more time to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Milner has gotten a lot of unfair criticism this season, mainly because he's been unfairly asked to play too much due to all the injuries, but, he deserves praise for yesterday, I, like most, thought him starting yesterday would be a disaster, but, he proved us wrong. Having said that Klopp needs to manage his appearances better than he has so far this season.

It's a shame Milner isn't 10 years younger, an absolute fantastic player, not the most talented, but, so versatile, rarely injured and an all round brilliant professional, even at 37 and declining, he's worth his weight in gold to the squad, a fantastic influence and presence within the squad to the younger players. I don't know if there's anyone in their mid twenties like him in world football around, but, if there is we should be looking to sign them up.

Post edited by Girly Gal on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

We're probably lucky we have the World Cup coming up. Otherwise Diaz and Jota would be unavailable for a lot more games. Just going to have to cobble together a forward line from Mo, Bobby and Nunez for the next few weeks but there is not much scope for rotation left.

Gutted for Jota, he ran himself into the ground yesterday, just starting to get into a rhythm and he's out again.

The hype around Haaland for the game yesterday was OTT from Sky, everytime he touched the ball Tyler waxed lyrical. Like he's some sort of super human, the lads had no problem handling him.

Great to have Robertson back yesterday he is still no.1, the greek can't make those overlapping inside runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I thought we'd lose.

I knew that we were still a good team, but I likened it in my head to the build up to the Anfield game with no fans, where we got trounced 4-1.  We knew we weren’t as good a team as City then, and there was a similar feeling now, even though we don’t have quite the same problems personnel-wise as we did then.

So yeah, I genuinely went into this with no expectation of a result.  And I mean that with absolute sincerity.  Then the team sheet came in, with Gomez, Milner and Elliott on our right hand side, and I thought it was made for a pasting.  Foden killed Milner last season, and he’s better now, with a cyborg to play off too.

But then this team proceeded to show me something I thought they may have lost.  Don’t get me wrong - they didn’t need to show me anything.  They’ve proven themselves multiple times over, competing consistently against one of the most financially doped sporting projects ever put together, managed by possibly the greatest of his generation.  I’d happily argue that this group of players is top 5 of the PL era.  And people can fight me over that.

But they showed me that the team is not dead.  It is not completely past it.  It still needs a refresh.  It still desperately needs help in midfield.  It may still struggle against good defensive teams - we won’t be able to play the same style as yesterday against everyone - but it’s still capable of being what we know them to be - intense, precise and clinical.

Milner had his best game in 3 years.  The timing of his press on Foden was inspired.

Van Dijk, with a little more protection due to us playing a few yards back, and with his defensive and midfield partners closer to him, was simply incredible.  It highlights what we normally expect of him.  He makes being a regular CB look so easy it’s frightening.

Gomez had his best game in years.  Again, the timing of his pressures, and the timing of his covering of Milner in behind was unreal.  Smacked the ball as hard as he could at Bernardo at one stage, which gives him an extra point from me.

Elliott, who I thought would get torched, was intense and disciplined.  Worked so hard that Salah could be closer to the danger areas.  

Jota, the same on the other side.  Basically ran himself into a leg injury covering KDB.  By 70 minutes, KDB was done, and it was his terrible free kick into Alisson’s arms that triggered the long ball to Salah.  It was so bad, Salah could see where it was going mid-flight, and set off accordingly as he knew what Alisson could do given the time.

Salah, honestly.  The man showed who the superstar still is.  Enough said.  There was no way he was letting Ederson save two of those.

Klopp deserved his red.  You can’t be doing that.  But Pep also deserved at least a heavy warning.  Something about Liverpool turns him and Arteta into unhinged madmen.  He was out of his technical area multiple times, on the pitch, screaming too.  When Taylor went to check VAR for the disallowed goal, he, his staff and players were hounding him all the way there.

What the game did for me was give me belief again.  I believe we’ll get top 4.  I believe we might even pip Spurs or Chelsea to top 3.

But I also believe there is a trophy in this season for this team if they play it right.  I didn’t believe that before yesterday.

Now get that fúcking midfielder in January, and let’s give them the best chance possible.

Post edited by SlickRic on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

...... in front of an Exploooding Kop.... 10 seconds later....

This Is Sparta Anfield

There really is no comparison with Sky.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Drury is fantastic and he can be a little over the top sometimes but its far better than listening to Tyler mumble his way through 90 mins

it's not even what he says.

he has this ability to sound really interested and excited about the game he's watching, but he also knows when to shut up. he lets the stadium do a lot of the work for him, especially for goals.

The likes of Tyler, and a few of them on Sky, feel the need to narrate the reaction to a goal. Drury tends to let the reaction inform him of what he should say, or whether he should shut up. he never ruins it with a downbeat tone at the wrong time, or hyper cliched twaddle.

Ballon D'or results coming in..

Nunez 25th

TAA 22nd

Diaz 17th

VVD 16th

Fab 14th

Top ten will be announed from about 7:30pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

At a guess I would say Mo should be top 5?

I am actually going to guess he will be 4th?

Could be way off but we will see

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

doubt he'll be in top 5 , Mane definitely will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Have been busy all day so only catching up now. So have I this right? Man City released an official statement blaming Klopp for City supporters singing songs about Hillsborough and damaging the concourse with graffiti?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They've also said they won't be investigating the chants until they hear from their own people and the police.

City have not released an official statement of any type, yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Just reading that Taylor has ref'ed 4 games between Liverpool and City and has only awarded one foul on Salah in those 4 games.

And that was the Kompany red card which he didn't give.

• Advertisement

Ali finished 2nd in Yachine Trophy

Liverpool finished second in the team of the year.

City won team of the year.

Madrid finished 3rd really should have won as they did the league and European double.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

There's a panorama investigates programme on the champions League final what went wrong tonight BBC 1 10.40pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

No need for a panorama investigates, Trent not covering Junior was what went wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It must be the first time in the history of M.O.T.D that they didn't review a sending off , and it came in the biggest game of the weekend. People tune in to get the views of the so called experts, and for them to brush it off with a smart remark of '' we don't have time for it' is just comical. Your job is to review the incidents, that's your job, do your job

Post edited by BorneTobyWilde on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Once Klopp came out with what he said about their funding you know they were going to be bristling. Their petty answer when they lost is now to not condemn their fans for their chants and to try and turn it around on Klopp and Liverpool. Disgusting really, but like you posted, they have no class and they are a reflection of their owners. Anyone serious will dismiss City as a team funded appropriately. Their main sponsor has been loss making for years, billions lost on Etihad, yet they had the cash to spend on a very expensive sponsorship? Add in all those related deals with companies that has links to the owners family? To think they claimed the crown as the club with the most revenue, with such a small fanbase is gutting to see as it is such a joke and lies.

Anyone hear Gary Neville about fixing football on the Guardian Football Weekly podcast a few weeks ago? I thought he would be interesting on how clubs are financing themselves and the future, but seeing as he and his other buddies from 92 own Salford City FC and they are living outside of their means by putting money into the club, he is fine with PSG and City and now Newcastle having unlimited funds if their owners can keep throwing money at the club. But US investors coming in looking to make more money is the real pox on football according to him. He didn't quite make the leap that those investors are only here because of Chelsea, City and PSG distorting the market and they are the only ones able to afford to own clubs now other than states.

For all the sense he talks when it comes to politics, if you are on the left side of the political argument, he sure exposed himself to be clueless and self serving when it comes to his own football club and the one he supports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

TLDR version: "he sure exposed himself to be clueless"

Dom King not pulling any punches in his article this morning.

There needs to be more reporters calling out Cities carry on.

Neville is a businessman. Everything he does and everything he says is with a view to making money.

Neville is also a Utd fan. So everything he does and everything he says must be run through that filter. I wonder why he doesn't like American venture capitalists? Because Utd are owned by a family of them, and they're not successful, therefore they're evil.

To be fair to City and Pep, we must confuse the bejaysus out of them. Take away the fact they've not won the European Cup over the last 5 years, it's fair to say that this era has been won by them so far.

But we are the only team that Pep hasn't been able to shake off in his managerial career.

Mourinho got him once with Madrid, but that was it. José went by the wayside as he always does. Pep had the greatest team ever assembled, with the original and best cheat code of football - prime Messi. And he dominated, mostly winning leagues in a procession.

At Bayern, he obviously dominated. He won Leagues without really trying.

In England, everything is there for them to dominate in the same way. He's with a financially doped monster, who can buy whatever they want whenever they want. He's arguably the greatest of his generation. He's added arguably the greatest striker of his generation, to the greatest assister of his generation. They can obliterate everyone, and have done for 4 or 5 years.

But there's that one team, whose net spend doesn't even scratch the surface of what the Manchester clubs have spent, lead by a crazy German, who has turned Van Dijk, Salah, Fabinho and more into footballing greats, at the home of a 'madhouse' as Pep calls it. He can't seem to kick us from the sole of his foot. even when it makes no sense, this team manages to show his up. you can tell from his interviews about Liverpool. when he says we're his greatest opponent, I believe him. when he writes his memoir, he'll devote chapters to us.

As a club, City are desperate for relevancy, and their fans know it too. they desperately try to antagonise Liverpool and their fans when they travel to Anfield because they need the hatred. It needs to be manufactured, because in any real sense, nobody cares about their successes, other than it's a shame that human rights violating financial doping has allowed it to happen. so the fans do whatever they can to make us hate them, because in their heads, that's what a rivalry is. The 'competitive rivalry' is not enough.

anything I heard from the ground suggested the chants were among the worst and most consistent ever heard at the ground ... never mind the vandalism and graffiti. The club and some of its fans have been so spoiled and become so entitled that their moral standards are in the sewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I don't want to get too boisterous or knee-jerky after the big result at the weekend. But there is an opportunity now to go on a run of games, picking up some wins and claw back some of the points difference that is currently ahead of us in the table. 

Quietly, Liverpool have had a tougher run of opening fixtures than the teams at the top of the table. Even including the Chelsea game which was postponed, Liverpool have still played the teams in position 1,2,5,6,7 in the table after 9 games. Have not played any of the bottom 6 yet. 

Man City have played the teams in position 5,6,8 and have played the teams in 20,18,17,16. Their games against Spurs & Arsenal were postponed, which will be tricky games whenever they are played. 

Likewise Arsenal have played the teams in position 3,5,8 and have also played a lot of the mid table teams. 

I wonder is there going to be a bit of a shift in the points gap when the fixtures and games played even off before the World Cup? Liverpool need to aim towards winning 4 of their next 5 and seeing what they can take from the 5th

West Ham home

Forest away

Leeds home

Spurs away

Southampton home

Might just set us up for good 2nd half of the season with Diaz & Jota to return. Get the gap closer to 7/8 points and who knows what can happen with re-arranged fixtures and the top 4/6/8 capable of taking points off of each other. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

We have to take advantage of these fixtures, 4 wins an a draw at Spurs would be very welcoming going into the WC break. Obviously I'd love to win all 5 but giving our form lately I'd that if it was offered to me now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Add to that, having seen how poor Man City looked without Haaland this season in the one game he missed, they could struggle a bit when his injury problems inevitably arise again.

Probably not enough to catch them, but this World Cup will change everyone's season so drastically. Some will benefit, others will suffer so if we're lucky, we could be in the hunt for trophies next spring. The title is still gone in my eyes though, I just can't see us closing that gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Unreal result the weekend and something to build on just a shame about all these injures

We all knew we'd struggle in midfield with Injuries but now not replacing Taki & Origi is going to hurt us,

Just the 3 forwards left fit so with the amount of games in such a short period its almost inevitable we will lose another one ,

IF there was ever a time for Nunez step up its now, might actually suit him that it looks like 2 up top is our only option right now,

• Advertisement
Advertisement