Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet X

Options
  • 17-10-2022 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭

Anyone ordered, post custom charges from the UK? They say under €150 all taxes and duties paid, but just wanted to double check that having been stung with other sites!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Completely coincidentally I was looking at a bike on their site last week. When you put it in the basket the UK VAT disappears but it's quite confusing what happens after that as I wondered was the bike 'UK originated' and exempt import duty.

I eventually got to customer chat where a very decent lad confirmed the price would exclude Irish VAY and import which would then add 14 to the overall cost. Unfortunately I had to walk away

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yup, got some tires and small bits delivered earlier this year. Got slightly delayed by a few days but no issues.

Was only looking at their road bikes myself last night, no Shimano at all on them. Mostly SRAM builds and the odd Campagnolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They've been predominantly Sram for a good few years, even before the covid shimano issues. Was close to getting a Tempest a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

my understanding is that you pay the cost of the bike to planet x, then pay 14% duty on what you paid to planetx, plus 23% vat - i was looking at a tempest and by my calculations, the payment to Planetx would be about 2150 euros, plus a further 300 duty and 550 VAT, so the tempest was coming in at about 3k landed based on that. Pre brexit it would be coming in at about 2500 euros

I dont think I have bought anything out of the UK since brexit. Just too much hassle now unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Tempest is coming in at 2550 for me that way but that's probably because always pay in sterling with them too if I can. It's a difference of 160-200 quid depending on which of Liz Truss's budgets is in use

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

I have placed a few orders for parts / bags / etc - no bikes (embargo at home!)

Whatever I paid at checkout was the total - no extra taxes etc. pretty sure I paid in stg using revolut and shipped to Wicklow. Shipping was quick too.

The orders were around the €140 or so each time.

Some baselayers and gloves on the way, so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've bought mudguards and a helmet from them recently, no hassle, quick enough delivery.

I was looking at buying a bike from them last year but at the time they hadn't sorted out the VAT issue and I would've ended up paying UK VAT, customs and Irish VAT. Even with the UK VAT removed now, they're not the bargain they were before Brexit.

Meant to post back - arrived yesterday morning with DPD. Under 48 hours, which is much quicker than my last experience with CRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Put an order for 73 in with planet x for multiple smaller items.

Ordered was acknowledged then a couple of days later saw an email from Paypal saying they are refunding and it should be back in my account tomorrow.

No further email from planet X explaining why. Anyone else experience this ?

Advertisement