Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Looks like it's results season

Decent performance from VW, but sales in Europe were basically flat this year due to shortages

Main driver of growth was China and US

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 65,394 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good to see progress but only 1 in 16 of the vehicles they are selling is full EV. And that is from the car manufacturer incumbent that is most invested in going electric. The pace is frustratingly low though. Still. Even now all of us, even the retard down the pub, knows the future is electric.

It's not the best performance for sure, VW seem to have gutted production from their other brands to keep their own EVs going out the door.

I guess shortages are having an effect, but I also think their focus is elsewhere, they want to get their Chinese brands performing better

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure there's a lot more ID.4s selling in Ireland this year. Partly down to it releasing midway through last year, but I also wonder is VW a bit less focused on some other European countries

VW is hardly concentrating their sales effort on Ireland 😂

That said, it's great to say many ID.4 around. Particularly taxis. Every time I see an ID.4 taxi (and there is one in the estate next to me) I smile and think: you clever man!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I also think the taxi’s are brilliant advertisements for going EV as naturally enough anyone getting into the back of one with a half an idea of maybe going electric will be asking questions about it etc…….

I love seeing Taxi EV’s, and there are a lot of them in Fingal..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

I read this morning that on an MG5 you can release the parking brake and put the car in drive WHILE it’s connected to a type 2 charger ?? You can’t drive but you can roll the car. Not sure if it applies to all MGs.

Sounds crazy to me…any other cars do this?

Well I'm definitely not going to try in either of the cars. Someone else can figure that out 🙂

Being able to release the parking brake makes a bit of sense. If the interlock is jammed for example and the car thinks it's plugged in, then you'd need to be able to release the brake to tow the car

Being able to put the car in drive would be pretty silly though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association compare EU countries on how many public charge points per 100km. I know that doesn't tell the whole story, where you can have density in places and holes in others. But I thought people might be interested anyway. Ireland are 18 out of 28. 1.6/100km. They also say 15.8% of car sales in Ireland are EV (of a plug-in variety).

They also point out that the vast majority are not fast chargers. Fast defined as above 22kW. Across the EU, 1 in 7 are fast.

https://www.acea.auto/press-release/electric-cars-6-eu-countries-have-less-than-1-charger-per-100km-of-road-1-charger-in-7-is-fast/

Netherlands: 64.3 charge points per 100km of road

Ireland: 1.6 charge points per 100km of road

We have a loooooong way to go here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Is that per km of road or per km of national road which would be a far more significant metric really?

We have quite a high total length of road per capita / area of landmass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ignorance, stupidity or laziness? Couldn't possibly park in the relatively empty car park and walk the 20 metres to Dealz. Much easier to park in the "clearly marked" EV charging area directly outside the front door of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That spot is rarely iced to be fair, I used to use it a fair bit.

EDIT: I've seen that car icing it before, african female driver.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

What I find particular interesting is if you compare the number of DC chargers versus the km of motorway/e-roads (major European routes). Taking the numbers from the source in the report and comparing against road stats on Eurostat. We have 23.5 DC chargers per 100km, versus the Netherlands 106.2. We are still very much near the bottom of the list, but the numbers seem a little more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

If instead of counting the chargers we add the their power are we still on good grounds? Our network is 50kW dominated which is not really comparable to others. Oxford’s Redbridge Park and Ride has 10MW power installed which is equivalent to 50 Blanch like locations

Next EV road trip planned out (possibly nsfw, if you boss doesn't like rude words)

And yes, I have the sense of humour of a 14 year old 😁

Saw that one over on the funny pictures thread and couldn't resist seeing how long it would take in an EV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It was a young couple with 2 kids. No disabilities (not making excuses but maybe they needed to be closer to the door). Just laziness as there was at least 20 or more spots just metres from there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think it show's we're on good grounds, only Spain and Cyprus are worse when you do the Motorway/E-Road vs DC Chargers. It just makes the numbers a little more reflective.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

One lad having a smoke in the wrong spot and it'll certainly take off 😱

Probably worth considering that Spain has a lot of sparsely populated regions which have notoriously bad services

Cyprus is currently in a bit of a civil war situation

Meanwhile if the experts in Ecars try to count over 3 they get a migraine...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of ships they used to send all particles up the chimney. Newer ships collect the larger particles in a type of DPF filter and then put the bad stuff collected into the water. Great if you breathe air, but less so if you are a fish. A lot of these emissions and water pollution will be strictly along shipping routes/lines so specific exact places will get most pollution. The DPF filters let through the smaller particles anyway which may cause most harm, but they can't be seen so less politically harmful.

Diesel electric is useful for ships with propellor pods for guiding the ship sideways and where you are docking regularly. It also produces electricity for cruise passengers, and lots of waste heat for heating the ship. The ships often have electric powered desalination plants to make drinking water rather than carrying and refilling water tanks over and over again. It seems to make financial sense than carrying extra unnecessary water around for showers etc, to make it in the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes there's always plenty of spots in that place, no excuse for iceing.

The statistics are over all operators, our low numbers are caused by the governments complete lack of incentives and national strategy.

The Netherlands population density is basically the whole country is more densely populated than Dublin.

The population density of County Dublin is 3 times higher than density of the country of the Netherlands (based on a quick Google)

The Netherlands have great charging infra because they had a forward-thinking start-up that wanted to get the ball rolling, when they approached the government, they were told they couldn't pick and choose locations and instead had to align with a national strategy that was then developed. It's a great example of public private partnership and how things should be done in a liberal market economy.

I stand corrected - it was a bad guess. On a countrywide level its a big difference.

The Netherlands : 508 per Km2

Republic of Ireland: 72 per Km2

True, and to be fair I don't think we'll ever see a 30 charger hub in the Burren. But we're miles away from where we need to be

Personally I think 4-8 car HPC hubs every 50km of national roads is what is needed at a minimum. Plus lots of AC and 50kW charging in towns and cities.

More popular routes and stops will obviously need more chargers but that's something which should grow organically rather than trying to figure it out from some central plan

Very sweet, but it's a lot of money for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Saucy money alright.

Advertisement