Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to do 'everything' to prevent evictions - McEntee

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Take it up with the poster who says rents increased because REITs came in.

Plus, learn the basics of how RPZs work. The irony of you asking "what is so hard" when you don't understand it yourself. Your little anecdote is incorrect. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

Just think Monica's grandmother's apartment in Friends, you'll have your tenants grand kids living in there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Oh I’m well aware of the implications of an eviction ban, but as far as I know it has to be time limited, but like I say the government will take the route that’s easiest

You would think that if the government change legislation regarding rentals that landlords should be able to terminate any tenancy within 30 days if they do not agree with the new terms. With part 4 and limitations on why you can evict you are essentially tied into these changes long term without any say in the matter. I would expect if there were a change of terms in any other businesses dealings you'd have a get out clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Is that me you’re talking about? Don’t take anything I say as gospel as I don’t really know. I’m a full time carer for my parent and even though I might be doing nowt for hours in the day, they require constant supervision. So I spend my time on boards rather than staring at the wall.

I know you’ve been asked if you’re a homeowner or tenant. I’d rather know what sector you work in. In all other threads you’re making jokes, being lighthearted. But in housing threads you have an agenda. Work or invest in REITS perhaps? As I said, I’m just guessing and passing time.

• Advertisement

Well they will have crossed the Rubicon on banning 'no-fault' evictions and set a precedent. Next up there will be a constitutional referendum on having the right to a home enshrined in the constitution, that will get us past the temporary issues with 'no-fault' bans. And we might have a new government in a couple of years.

Have to say I'm in a similar boat re pension and kids and seriously considering selling. I wouldn't be sensitive to having to sell at a drop in price, especially given the pension tax relief that I'm not currently maxing out on and you only lose 1-CGT of any drop too as you'd pay CGT on it if it didn't drop, assuming price has gone up since buying. The government may actually be doing people a favor here by making them think with this.

In terms of this eviction ban I fully expect it to be challenged in court, remember it applies to REITS as well and those guys won’t like being told they can’t evict,,I’m sure promises were made behind closed doors.

constitutional referendum on the right to housing won’t have a hope in being passed, over 70% of the population own their own homes, and that means it’s not just landlords affected,,and the entire country is aware of this government taking the lazy route.

can you imagine you rent out a room in your house they turn out to be a nutjob, you can’t get them out because of the right to housing, your daughter moves her boyfriend in to save for a deposit, they break up and he refuses to move out, can’t get him out right to housing.

you have a holiday home decide to let it out for a week, they refuse to move, right to housing.

let alone any issues with people renting out apartments etc.

No one in their right mind would vote in a referendum to reduce property rights, if you live in a large house with a big garden, land confiscated to build more houses under the right to housing.

I wish all of the above were scare stories but the government hasn’t a hope of meeting it’s housing obligations and this could quite easily happen, so I think the good citizens of this country would vote that down

The REITS certainly won't want the small scale landlords getting out before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That's boogyman stuff. There is no suggestion of a permanent eviction ban and that's definately a measure that wouldn't get past the AG's desk.

You'll probably get likes for that catnip from people high as kite on the "landlords are discriminated against" front, but it's fantasyland you concocted in your head.

Oh absolutely, and it’ll be a lot harder for the REITS to sell up, so I’d expect those guys to challenge the government on any ban if it goes through, they have the money to do it, and I’m sure they’ve already got their lawyers on alert

• Advertisement

Have to dispute your first few lines. In my renting days (probably stayed in 5 different places) the rent was reviewed upwards in all of them when in-situ. If not every year, then certainly every second year. (And all but one of them was before RPZ days)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

All of these were temporary, the insurance levery(s), RPZs, USC..... if there is a ban it will be extended over and over. The only way out of this is more social housing, it's not private landlords problem that there is a housing crises, they didn't cause it. It was caused by bad government policies and lack of thinking it through.

The difference between what you've listed and a *permanent* eviction ban, is that a permanent eviction ban would not survive a constitutional challenge.

While I also appreciate pension levys and the USC are unpopular - the RPZ legislation was never floated as anything other than a long term measure, and RPZs are an overwhelming net good and I don't give a hoot what anyone else says.

Nothing here is ever temporary it always becomes temporary, by the way you can add the special criminal court to the list as well.

The constitution isn't that flexible, something is either constitutional or not, even if it's temporary

RPZ was meant to be temporary

Frequency of Review

The Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Act 2015 introduced a temporary restriction on rent reviews to once every 2 years for all existing and new tenancies, no matter where in the country the property was located. The Planning and Development (Housing) and Residential Tenancies Act 2016 then changed how this applies in rent pressure zones. 

For tenancies in place at the time of designation as a rent pressure zone, the first rent review after the designation cannot be conducted before the 2 year “freeze” period brought in under the 2015 Act has passed. However rent reviews in rent pressure zones are then permitted annually after that.

For tenancies commencing after designation as a rent pressure zone, the 2 year “freeze” period on rent reviews brought in under the 2015 Act does not apply at all. Rent reviews are instead permitted annually subject to a capped increase of 4%.

https://www.mccannfitzgerald.com/knowledge/real-estate/being-in-a-rent-pressure-zone-what-this-means-for-you

Correction: The rent review provision outside the RPZs was framed as temporary within the legislation, the broader RPZ legislation itself was open-ended.

Like I said some landlords did put up the rent, but then again my renting days were rougly from 1995 to 2010, there were certainly instances of leaving the cash in an envelope by the door, but I never had anyone put up the rent, but maybe that was me and a few others I did have friends whose rent was put up, so I suppose there wasn’t a one size fits all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I was renting on and off from about '98 to '16 and never had anyone put up rent til the later years.

I'd one place we rented, it never budged in price from '05 to '09. Supply was far greater then, there were a lot of rentals available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Rentals will always be needed. Even if the small guys are gone.

It'll be a bonanza for REITs and the "professionals".

Yeah rents are gonna skyrocket, REITs ‘ll buy the properties from the small landlords getting out and leave them empty until the two years is up and then release them one by one at astronomical rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,519 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Similar is happening in Germany at the moment. Back in the early noughties after Germany reunification, the eastern half sold off a lot of state owned housing.

In the last while especially in Berlin these funds have started to get apartments vacated and then refurbish's them. Then guess what new rents are increased substantially.

But it's all the small LL problem in Ireland.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Can see this coming a mile off, smaller landlords will be jumping to get out of the market, REITs will buy the properties, even if sold in situ, the REITs will then say the property is in need of substantial refurbishment, they’ll take their sweet time about it after evicting the tenants, because you can’t put in all new fixtures and fittings and kitchens and bathrooms with sitting tenants, they’ll have all the time in the world because there’ll be no intention of putting it back up to rent for two years, the ones they bought the year before last will be coming on stream soon with exorbitant rents to compensate for the time they were out of the market.

Mr O'Brien told the programme he was "acutely aware" that if the measures "are not calibrated properly", they could have "unintended consequences of leading to further flight of private landlords which we have seen since 2016".

So they have seen this since 2016 and done nothing to address it, and now they are the cavalry riding to the rescue saving us from themselves :D

On the detail of this, it looks like it begins in November and is a ban on issuing a notice. So there are 13 days now where landlords can issue notice if they don't want to be delayed 5 months in issuing a notice.

Effectively it adds 5 months to the notice period from 6 months to 11 months, unless issued in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone planning on selling in the next year would need to immediately issue an eviction notice, I wonder how many will do this.

It just seems like an insane way to implement policy.

I’m confused, why are they proposing an eviction ban of they type? It achieves nothing.

If it’s the cost of living then surely if you can’t afford your rent you should be helped buy social welfare but if a tenant stops paying they can still be evicted.

All they are doing is delaying landlords selling by a few months. What’s that going to achieve?

What are they going to achieve in the next six months that will make an extension to the ban unnecessary? 

This will become near permanent and it's going to destroy the lower end of the market.

I can't see REITs channanging it because they aren't looking to exit the market. I can see them selling to the state as a sweetener. Any challenge would have to come from smaller LL and it could well be the whole system including the RPZ's if that were to secede it would be the wild west

It's pure politics, masked in sudden interest in the common good re housing.

Speculation in the Irish Times is that FF are trying to differentiate themselves from FG to win over middle ground voters.

They won't be getting my vote that's for sure.

If you look at the timing you would probably only need one more pause over next winter and it might get them through to the next election without evictions making headlines. Job done and they get away without reaping what they have sown in the housing mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

That's what they've done...there are exceptions from the ban including those who are not paying!!

But its just plugging a hole.... as soon as its lifted, the homeless numbers will shoot up.

I think if anyone is selling an ex council house, no matter how many owned it before the seller, the local council should be given first refusal at market price. If you where to extend that into private builds it would just cause more issues, but defiantly should be done with council built homes.

This is slightly conspiratorial, but maybe they see a price drop coming, (I wouldn’t be foolish enough to say they won’t drop they’ll level off, because that’s what people said last time and look what happened) so the plan is to prevent people selling now until the price drop kicks in and people are underwater again, and then they won’t sell, what has to be remembered is that all the 100% mortgages and interest only mortgages taken out in the early 2000’s will only now have the interest paid, the principle is still there, so to all those acusding landlords of cashing in, they’re not, after the sale they’ll pretty much walk away with nothing, but will be debt free.

Maybe the government realises that people are going to cut their losses, so prevent them selling while the market is up and they won’t sell if there’s a drop. People shouting about the price can go down as well as up, etc. I agree however you should be allowed to sell when you see fit, this whole thing is open to challenge especially if the price drops and people can’t sell, and don’t give me the tenants in situ, we all know that’s market manipulation.

Like I said conspiratorial, but nothing would surprise me

I don't see why they can't buy many of the private builds too that landlords are selling and privatise the management through existing private property management companies. They could keep the same ones in many cases with tenants in situe also.

I use one and have literally no hassle, they take a percentage of the rent, find tenants etc. most of it is just deducted from the rent and you approve things every so often. They probably manage a lot of properties in the same area.

• Advertisement

It would be extraordinary if they did that, but to me it's less extraordinary than suspending property rights!

Advertisement