Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal question about cycle lanes

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

More to this than meets the eye I suspect.

I really don't know why!

Why did this elderly lady beep you out of it?

Many drivers will suddenly become irate when there is a cyclist in front of them. They often will make stupid, pointless overtaking manoeuvres simply to get in front of the cyclist even though they may be coming to a queue of stopped traffic.

Were you positioning yourself on the road to deliberately obstruct her when you didn't need to?

Assuming @Toblerone1978 was moving along the road then they were travelling legally and we're not obstructing anyone.

Why did she 'tip' you?

Entitled driver who doesn't care about the safety of a vulnerable road user?

Or else she was just a dangerous person.

I'm a motorist and also cycle.

Most cyclists are also drivers. We are actually regular people who happen to occasionally use two wheels rather than four.

Sometimes one can't help but impede motorists but more usually one can keep in and let them on.

Are you saying that when I have right of way, I should pull over because someone wants to go faster than me? Why shoukdnt the driver behind not wait for a safe overtaking opportunity rather than me having to pull over to create one? What makes their journey more important than mine?

Furthermore, I've often had drivers impede me but not stop to let me by. Should it not be reciprocated?

Some cyclists though can be dickheads and want to make a point. Not saying this was you but normally something would spark another road user to get pissed off.

I've encountered pedestrians who were dickheads. I've encountered cyclists who were dickheads. I've encountered drivers who were dickheads. Unfortunately, the dickhead drivers usually are the only ones who needlessly put me in danger. What is your point anyhow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭positron

I've had car drivers shouting at me for exact same reason (I was cycling along on the road outside Southgate shopping centre double-roundabout south of Drogheda, heading south).

I've had cyclists shouting at me because my motorbike partially entered the bike lane, somewhere along Dorset Street in Dublin.

I've had car drivers honking/shouting/beeping while riding both bike and the motorbike. And car, to be fair.

I've had 7 foot tall hulk of a Eastern European sounding dude try and threaten and rob my work laptop off me - wait for this - at 7:30 am on a weekday on a commuter train to Dublin. First he tried to racially abuse me, shouting racist stuff looking for a reaction - he got none. And then he and his tattoo'd up sidekick buddy demanded I give them my laptop - I just folded it and put in back in the bag and said no, not today, not a chance. They just got up and f*cked off.

A lot people are just c*nts. It's hard to ignore them - but ignore them one must. And get a camera. If nothing, it might go viral on youtube!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I had an interesting email discussion with someone high-up in Waterford county council , I was complaining about the design of a new cycle lane and how dangerous it was, and that cyclists would not use it.

Their response was that cyclists were obliged to use cycle lanes if provided. That was last month!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I got beeped at a few months ago for (I think) not using a cycle lane on a brand new road, one which would have dumped me back onto the road on the inside of left turning traffic. I was going right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I regularly get beeped at for being on the road approaching a roundabout near work. There is a cycle lane before the roundabout (quite a nice one, actually), and if you want to take the first exit (left turn) it continues without a break.

However, if you want to take the second exit (straight ahead), once it reaches the roundabout, it terminates at a set of traffic lights, with a traffic island thing half way across (4 lanes), and no continuation of the cycle lane at the far side.

Normally, I'll use some of the cycle lane, but merge with the traffic lane before the roundabout, so I can travel around and continue on the road. THis seems to annoy many drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://goo.gl/maps/jRYN1EPTtWGroNcs8

That beauty?

For east bound cyclist they have to cross a double junction on the left, the second of which is where access is provided to meat factory/shop. I don't have figures but I'd expect a lot of movements at that junction; every McDonalds beef burger for Irish/UK and half of France comes out of that factory among a lot of other products. Probably busiest butcher in county as well

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There does appear to be a lot of people who are unaware of thè rule and will happily proceed to instruct cyclists travelling legally on what to do. Frequently, I have a motorcyclist pass me on the N4 around Lucan. He is travelling along the bus lane and will always point at the adjacent cycle path/footpath telling me that I should be there. This is despite the blue signs indicating my entitlement. That he is the one actually travelling illegally does not appear to register with him...

This morning the N4 was backed up and the private cars were moving much slower than I was. The usual habit is for some drivers is to nip into the bus lane and drive quickly to the next junction. Of course, with me there "holding them up" the natural thing the eejit in the black Audi could do was blast his horn at me several times when I didn't get out of his way, even though I was travelling legally and he wasn't.

I've had multiple road users including bus drivers, taxi drivers and private vehicle drivers beep me for using bus lanes even though I wasn't delaying them or anything. They see a "perfectly good cycle lane" and assume that I'm a prick because I am not in it. That I could be doing 30 or 40km//h on a narrow bumpy surface with joggers, pedestrians, dogs, glass, etc doesn't register. That I've to cede priority at junctions doesn't register with them. They have no experience of riding a bike and make the incorrect assumption that I am being an obnoxious dick.

However, outside of a discussion with other cyclists, have you ever heard an RSA advert or read anything that told you that cyclists don't need to use cycle lanes where provided? How are the general public supposed to know when nobody in authority will tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

I have that also on a regular route I use with wands added as an extra barrier. It can be tricky merging out of the cycle lane in between the wands with cars not expecting you

There are no wands here, but as you approach the roundabout, there are railings, so you need to merge nice and early to avoid conflict

As I said, the bike lane continues on the left (and the right too), but if you stick to the bike lane to take the 12 o'clock exit, it dumps you back out into traffic just where cars would exit the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The law of common sense and courtesy. Best to treat people as you'd like to be treated yourself and don't be a dickhead trying to prove a point.

• Advertisement

So no legal requirement, then.

I normally treat people as I'd like to be treated by them.

That doesn't include 'tipping' vulnerable road users with my car

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Do you keep in and let faster cyclists cycle on in busy urban traffic?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Driving into someone deliberately isn't pettiness. It's criminal and should be treated as such

Regardless of how you word it, though, the outcome will likely be the same. No video evidence, no witnesses, I presume no damage (and even if threre was, you'd probably need photos in situ). So its back to 'he said, she said'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It should be, but without witnesses/evidence it won't be.

To a degree. But what do you, genuinely, see a judge doing in this case?

That's not even mentioning that in order to bring a case, the prosecutor would have to demonstrate that they have enough evidence to support that case in the first place. I can't see this meeting any sort of threshold. A civil case might be different, there's a lower bar there, but the talk so far is that it's a criminal action

I don't get on with one of the neighbours in my estate. I could go into the local Garda station this evening and say that he left hooked me, and he deliberately hit my bike with his car. Should the garda take my word, because I'm on a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Don't know what you're referring to? If I was driving and stuck in traffic and could reposition car to let cyclists pass, of course I would. If I was cycling and safe to do so, I'd keep in to let faster cyclists by. If not safe, I'd make them wait. There seems to be a bit of hierarchy in cyclists, some think they have a right to move as quickly as possible.

So you don’t proactively keep in for cyclists? There seems to be a bit of a hierarchy in motorists, some think that they have a right to move as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Also consider the actual event here - they are whizzing by you, shouting 'instruction' aka venting at you - and whizzing on past before you can reply. No chance for you to respond, no way for them to face any consequence for their behaviour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement