Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GW 12 free hit discussion.

Options
  • 15-10-2022 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭

I know many will be holding their free hit for another week but my team has 3Arsenal, 3ManCity and Alexander Arnold who are all out and Neco Williams who could be sharing minutes now with Aurier. Seems a good time to use the chip for my team so have pushed the button and here is my current selection for GW12.

Pope

Trippier, Robertson, Van Dijk

Maddison, Son(c), Trossard, Zaha

Toney, Wilson, Kane

Ward, Andreas, Anderson, Veltman

With 0.8mill; still in the bank.

Bound to make some changes when we see how this weeks games play out but have a poor record of getting a lot of points from the free hit chip in previous seasons so thought it would be good to open up a discusion on what picks other FPL players would make to maximize the points from using it. I think without playing the chip my team would be well below average since so much of my points each week have been coming from my Arsenal and ManCity players and keeping them in the team for the weeks before and after 12 may make the free hit this week worthwhile anyway. Would like to hear any suggestions on who to play for week 12. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭macraignil

Maddison getting booked and suspended for GW12 makes playing free hit seem even more like the right decision as he would be another out of my regular team. Might try bring in Salah to replace him but will need to downgrade elsewhere to afford the change.

I’m in the same boat. Haven’t really looked into it, but I have 6 city and Arsenal players and a couple of bench fodder players.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Team is bit of mess, didn't get to transfer out anyone this week, have 3 City, 2 Arsenal and 3 red flags, potentially have 5 player and if lucky a cameo from Greenwood. Can get to 9 players with a -8, will have to think about it but not much time before next GW.

Free hit activated. Bar a DGW, this week seems perfect for it.

Team for the midweek games:

Raya

Toti Young Trippier

Almiron Son Salah Trossard Billing

Kane Solanke

Subs: Alisson Mitro Dier Coady

• Registered Users Posts: 33,235 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This isn't a thread I was expecting to see. I'm planning on banking the transfer this week at the moment.

The top 2 teams in the league not playing, Man United and Tottenham playing each other and Liverpool having a trickyish game means there probably isn't a host of great options just demanding to be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

I'd be surprised if this isn't one of the top 3 weeks for FH when the season is over. Lots of people have been carrying 5/6 Arsenal and Man City players. Then you've had injuries and suspensions to popular players like James, Trent, Maddison etc. A lot of teams will be looking at 4 or 5 decent options, bench fodder, and blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,134 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

On this for now I'm sure I'll change it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭macraignil

Only change I have made from my first draft typed out above is Salah and Mount in for Son and Maddison and just not convinced by the other changes I've considered. Might captain Salah as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

If that's not a free hit team ignore this!

if that's a free hit team then I would personally downgrade the subs to cheapest options (even if non playing) and spend the extra money on upgrading one of the starting 11 instead. You could keep one cheap playing player on bench if you're worried about someone being rotated but for me when using the free hit I want as strong a 11 on the pitch as possible and no bench because its going to revert back to my team beforehand anyway.

Yeah i get what your saying im just struggling to pick players over a certain amount haha. Son and maybe Sterling where the only two i could think of really but there very high.

• Advertisement

that's fair enough. I'm in a similar position but just wanted to raise it as something to consider.

My week 12 team currently is this, I feel its a very safe selection on my part but for some reason I'm not totally happy with it so might make another change or two still:

(this is a free hit team).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I still think no matter what, Free Hit, Triple Captain and Bench Boost should all be used on Double Gameweeks - Can't imagine a suitable argument against that

I taught about Solenke meself actually but Toney is in great form and even though its Chelsea I've had him all season and he's been very reliable. I actually just brought in Perisic for Trent as seems he may even be needed up front!

I can understand that mindset but went for the free hit as I had 3 Man City and 3 Arsenal players and then Nico Williams who I have minute worries about and Patterson who is injured so I felt it made sense for my team to use it here.

Some will argue I could have planned for this week 12 better as knew it was coming but I'm happy to use the free hit on week 12 and have my team reverting back. I've only made 3 transfers to date this season bar the free hit week and don't see it changing massively from the reverted back team before the world cup break.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Depends on the indivudal really, if it's a classic league i suppose so but for me i'm really only interested in my H2H leagues where in flying and a monthly classic league where im second at the moment, i'm 7 players down so makes sense for me to FH. if i win my H2H match it will have been worth it, i'll worry about dgws when they arise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyway gone with this, good advice above from highgiant re going with 2 dirt cheap subs

If I don't play it, I have 5 players playing (6 between arsenal and city, and bench fodder).

I've always planned for DGW's, and would usually have at least 6-8 DGW players on the team.

TC, and Bench boost, absolutely agree.

my free hit team fwiw

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Total gamble tbh, but I’m hoping for some return if he comes on as a sub as he’s in form.

I’m a little bit confident he’ll play as Jota is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭JPup

In general, free hit is best used in blank weeks like this in my opinion. Triple captain and bench boost generally make most sense in double game weeks but not always.

The classic double game week trap goes something like this:

Top player (ie Haaland this season) at H to easy team midweek. Away to tricky team on the weekend. Then Champions League midweek. Manager rests top player for the easy game. Now you’ve triple captain on a guy with one tricky away fixture and half an eye to CL quarter finals or whatever.

The bench boost on a double gameweek trap is even more insidious because it’s less obvious! Classic move is to wildcard the week before a double with the intention of bench boosting. But now you are carrying lads in your squad post wildcard that you only got for that one bench boost double. Chances are if you were to never bench boost, you’d have wildcarded to a different, quite possibly better, squad. That’s how bench boost can and often does leave players with fewer points at the end of the season than if they’d never used it!

GW1 bench boost is an underrated alternative I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Waste of a free hit. All of my main scoring threats blanked.

Toney

Kane

Son

Salah

Antony

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The thing with Bench Boost most seasons is that you won't have too many cheap players who actually play especially GK's, so you'll have money built up in players on the bench in weeks around wanting to play it, and also you got to make transfers and plans - sometimes easier to just get out of the way.

Free Hit is an interesting one for a GW like GW12, if for instance you played it and got 40 points about the average, it will boost your rankings way up, and you'll know when a double GW is coming up and you'll probably have most of the players anyway, so would a free hit be a bigger benefit to your team then in comparison to others - for City/Arsenal DGW, everyone is going to have 6 players anyway so what's the benefit of the FH?

TC I would personally keep for DGW, but as others say most DGW are later in the season and if teams are going deep in Europe the risk of your TC captain been rested is high.

Advertisement