Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You've been looking in the wrong direction, the dangers are coming from the right.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

The only "miserable ****" I see constantly bleating on about immigrants, asylum seekers and sexualy orientation are by posters trying to put words into posts that weren't there.

The 1000 posts a month "new" guys. Popping up on every thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

...and always on the same "hot" topics. 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yes. 7800 applied for the amnesty. Thats the point. So your talk about "unfettered immigration" is proven nonsense again. 7,800 is tiny really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yep. Always finding excuses for immigrant and trans bashing.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Where will they be put. Tents ? Hotels ? If they are in the dark economy their sleeping 18 to a room and alike IIRC it was Brazilians. That's been on the news. Give them papers then what ? decline housing ? No one seems to join up the dots.

Just asking questions, ya know. Country singers.

They were saying the same thing years ago when the Poles arrived en masse.

Citation. No admission its not happening. We all know it is. Most landlords wont take hap without a top up. Only the despicable landlords rent out 18 to a room.

Anyone in any job I've worked couldn't give a sh1te who comes from where as long as they can do the job they are assigned, same goes for the hospital staff where other family members and friends work, not just here but in Holland and Portugal.

Only ones that I've had an issue in the past was an English and a South African lad, where one couldn't handle being told how not to **** up everything that they touched and the other apparently couldn't handle the stress of the work and wanted others to do most of their work for them, so both didn't last to long.

Also handy that in IT we can work from home well before covid made it the norm for other office jobs, but during it people could actually go back and look after family if needed while continuing to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Yet you have some trying to claim that they are being targeted because they are white Christian males on here, because they do exactly all of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think you should read the whole context around that conversation rather than saying we don't know what we are talking about.

It was never about definitive figures of people who had been approved, or what exact category they fell under but rather the implication that 0.003% of the population of the people on the island were responsible for the housing issues being experienced in many locations.

Who do you think started threads on the Wokeism of the day, multiculturalism issues, immigration in Sweden, the pushback against the Left, the Green party, etc, etc, etc? Throughout 2018-2021 it seemed there was at least 1 a week of threads of this nature.

Show me the threads in AH or CA, or anywhere else in fact, that are started specifically to advocate for Left wing policies. When those of us who lean that weigh counter the people who start these threads, we're told that we never stop pushing a narrative, yet we are responding to threads, not starting the discussion.

you can reference this thread if you want, as one that is clearly pushing against right wing ideologies but this is a general one about the influence of both ideologies on society rather than on any of the topics you have listed in your post.

There not created as they wait for threads to be crated about the left and inhabit them. I have never seen Right wing is great either.

edit

we normally get this stuff. Police attempt to kill man at McDonald’s? (US) always USA

How would you?

You've only been here since "June 2022" 😉

Really. You can read boards without an account 🤔

Correct. They are not created, full stop.

Suggesting they are not because people are waiting for other threads is just simple nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Join to the list Climate change and Trump.

Also and unrelated to the housing crisis:

Ireland's population has risen by 1 million in 20 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I absolutely understood the context. Both of you made statements as if the 17,000 figure is a fact. It isnt. Then both of you made incorrect statements about 17,000 refugees being regularised. That wasnt correct either. It may have been about the general point but incorrect figures and categories were presented as fact in discussing the point.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

What I can't understand about the left is how their beliefs contradict each other with regulars on here.

We need to bring in consent classes for irish men for how they treat women while frothing at the mouth abusing people who question them.

We need to bring in immigrants from countries where rape and sexual assault is much more common than Ireland.

We don't see them criticising immigrants when they commit rape but they can't wait to jump onto threads when an irish lad feels a woman's arse.

We need to bring in hate crime laws for irish people who have a tiny percentage of dopes who are verbally not nice.

We need to bring in immigrants who in some countries believe lgbt people should be jailed or stoned to death.

Not a peep out of them when two of the most high profile murders of the past year were committed by an immigrant from these countries.

But by God if an article comes online of an irish person verbally abusing a minority person than they are out in force with rage.

We need to be a world leader in climate change.

We should have no limit on the amount of people who want to move here which directly increases our carbon footprint.

I would hope the majority of people can lean both ways on different issues.

What I take from this is you believe that because a person from one country commits a crime, all people from that country should be considered as being likely to do so.

Not really an argument that needs to be countered tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,942 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Interesting. So take Saudi Arabia we will stop generalising about that country. The USA police force the same any incidence of a shooting it's in total isolation. Israel too. Any racist comment made by an Irish person has no reflection on the whole population also.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,942 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Saudi Arabia beheads people as a matter of law im not sure what you mean

The IDF commits the vast majority of Israeli atrocities not the Israeli populous

And the police too are a trained fighting force sanctioned by government.

these are the examples you’re using to deflect from racist stereotypes that if you’re from a certain place you’re going to be a rapist?

honestly

Whereas my take is that the culture, and society that a migrant comes from matters.

Whenever you see discussions about most societal issues the suggestions tend to revolve around educating people to be better, for society to shift it's focus and for it to change what is perceived as good or bad.

There is a tendency to refer to culture and society as being important influences in how people think, or behave when it comes to westerners, but it's irrelevant when it relates to foreign groups. For them, they're to be treated completely as individuals, and the social conditioning they received prior to coming to the West doesn't matter in the slightest.

The logic is sound enough. If people from a country, which promotes the belief that women are objects and should be treated harshly, then those who come from that society to western nations, will likely retain enough of those beliefs that it will affect their behaviour in western nations. After all, the pressure in society to conform has mostly been removed, so foreign groups are encouraged to retain their original cultural identity, regardless of what might cause friction with the accepted notions of what's acceptable within western society.

It doesn't mean that everyone from that society will retain those foreign values or beliefs.. or that they will act upon them. However, it does suggest that, with larger populations of those groups, the force of conformity will be re-introduced as they spend more time with others of their culture, and that may encourage their traditional beliefs to become dominant over the expectations associated with western society. Hence the increased risks of spousal abuse, violence towards women, etc.

It doesn't need to be countered, because it's realistic, and has been shown to happen in many western countries, where those from strong traditional societies, do express their traditional views/behaviours in opposition to what's expected in western nations. Not everyone. Not even the majority involved. But it does happen far more than it should considering the expectation that exists by posters like yourself that their original culture won't influence them.

You tell me, do you want to imply that all people from a country or organisation are of the same mindset and so the whole group should be viewed in the same way or that that should never happen.

You have to also consider what is the motivation involved for having any conversation, if people say that too many police commit disproportionate acts, they are saying it so as to ultimately keep people safe. And there is enough evidence that a significant culture exists within a group that is hired to protect people.

That is very different from saying that because one person from a country is a criminal, all others from that country should be viewed in the same way when the vast majority of people are suffering and trying to escape to have a better life.

If action is taken to prevent bad cops being bad cops, it doesn't negatively impact good cops, in fact it should ultimately help them. The action being proposed to stop bad migrants will negatively impact all migrants.

• Advertisement

So what is the view on male violence against women ? only a tiny minority of men commit these crimes yet the media and NGO's suggest it's a serious society issue. This is incorrect yes ? There is a tiny minority of racist in Ireland yet the Media and NGO's suggest it's a society issues. Incorrect again yes ? homophobia is only used and practices by a small minority of people yet Media and NGO's says it a society issue. Incorrect yes ?

Advertisement