Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the government right to put no limit on the amount of Ukrainian refugees in Ireland? Read OP

Options

Comments

August figures are just under 48,000 according the Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thanks, I was scanning ‘our’ cso website :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,464 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I wonder what the PPSN numbers would be, if the natives (ethnics? Indigenes?) would get after applying for their PPSN's. I thought the govt practically had to shove them down people's throats. Immigration requires them, which might explain a lot of why it seems like immigrants are accessing them.

PPSNs have been around for decades. You’re thinking of Public Service Cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Personal Public Service Number is allocted to babies when registering them after birth . They have been used for absolute ages and almost every single person has one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

‘These games’, as you put it, are never brought out to play unless someone makes the utterly ridiculous claim yet again that at some non-specific point in time in the distant future “We’ll be a minority in our own country”, or words to that effect.

There are no indigenous people on the island of Ireland any more. There haven’t been in a long, long time, not since mass migration from Europe, again, many, many years ago -

https://newsone.com/4329658/black-people-with-blue-eyes-irish/amp/

You’re being disingenuous when you claim that when an Irish person uses the terms ‘native Irish’ or ‘indigenous Irish’ to describe the Irish people, not passport holders; the open borders crowd get very offended indeed and play useless word games. Who’s playing useless word games exactly if not you with your ‘indigenous’ and ‘native’ crap? The people you’re referring to aren’t indigenous either, though they may be native, as is anyone who is born on the island of Ireland, because Ireland is where they originate from.

As for your claim that these games are never brought out to play when discussing non-European indigenous groups, yes they are, and generally by the same people who claim they will be a minority in their own country too.

Eh? Yes it does mean David Norris is native Congolese? Why wouldn’t it? He was born there to an English father and and Irish mother, and was sent to live with his mother in Ireland when his father died -

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/senator-david-norris-tells-how-22002580?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

The only logic that’s any way strange around here is your own individual logic by which you think you should be able to declare and define what does or doesn’t constitute either being a native of Ireland, being of Irish nationality, being an Irish citizen, and I’ll bet you don’t even care that the majority of immigrants to Ireland every year come from our nearest neighbour - the UK, and the majority of applications for citizenship are from people of UK origin (with people from the US coming in second who want to maintain dual citizenship) -

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp7md/p7md/p7anii/

https://assets.gov.ie/215174/d30d6eb9-f172-4bb2-9ddb-8b2998497d86.pdf

How you can possibly make out that Irish people will be a minority in their own country at some point in the future (2040 seems to be the go-to figure, and by 2050 apparently Islam will have taken over Europe 😂), yet accuse anyone who questions the legitimacy of your ludicrous claim of “playing word games”, is the reason why people cannot take your claims seriously.

It’s an attempt to discourage people from questioning your claims, or looking for any sort of actual evidence or foundation for your claims. As it stands, you can’t even define who you’re referring to as being in any sort of a minority, unless maybe you mean native Irish speakers? Then yes, they’re in a minority in their own country. Are English speakers a minority in Ireland? I don’t think so 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Interesting. I wager if some went to Africa or China or India and tried to explain they are not indigenous they may have something different to say about it. Why is the word Immigrant used in relation to people moving from one country to another if there are in fact no indigenous people there ? 🤔 What about ex pats and alike are they just from where ever they reside now ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Back on topic everyone. And if you are unsure, it's set out in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭CeCe12

15,000 beds shortage predicted by December.

Why keep accepting people when there is literally no more room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Because international law is outdated and won't let them

• Advertisement

Maybe letting in asylum seekers without documentation and passports and Ukrainians who had already been given protection in other countries was not such a bright idea. It was a free for all here all summer and now genuine refugees will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

If only someone had said this might happen.🤪 Not might actually Guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cunningrock

In regard to opening subject, quite obviously no, even if your compassion is endless resources of schools, accommodation and money are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Congrats all, if only someone could have seen this coming

Hopefully all that virtue can help these people that will now end up on the streets

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The airport has departures too.

It's basically a not so subtle statement.

Stop coming, you'll end up on the street.

Which is not true. They could refuse more, just as other European nations have done. They've simply encouraged the shuffling of them to other countries, rather than a flatout refusal. Look at the numbers accepted in Germany, France, etc. who would be the primary desired nations for any migrant/refugee due to their size, and economies.. and yet, the numbers being taken in aren't incredibly high. So, how have they managed to avoid being flooded if they're so popular?

Because they took some kind of stand, and negotiated numbers. The Irish government has no interest in taking any kind of stand on the numbers to be allowed in.

Nations break or refuse to follow UN mandates all the time. The UN isn't some kind of ultra powerful organisation and can be negotiated with, because ultimately it has no real power of its own. It's just what other countries give it. If France/Germany/etc aren't backing the UN on refugees, it's highly doubtful the UN could enforce anything on Ireland, as long as the basics were covered. Same with the EU.

Nah. The Irish government has their own agenda, and that involves taking in as many refugees as possible. Which is why there's no cap, and won't be until they're forced into declaring one.

Look at the numbers accepted in Germany, France, etc. who would be the primary desired nations for any migrant/refugee due to their size, and economies.. and yet, the numbers being taken in aren't incredibly high.

In 2021, Germany received over a quarter (30%) of asylum applications in the EU, followed by:

• France (19.1%)
    • Spain (10.4%)
    • Italy (8.4%)
    • Austria (6.1%)

Ukrainian refugees. Not Asylum seekers. At the very least if you're going to data bomb, you should provide the relevant info.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

When did this term seeking international protection start?

It seems ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Right! Seriously, it's time to close the shutters on this country and deal with the complete mess this government have created by letting in an unlimited amount of genuine and disingenuous refugees.

This is on top of our disgraceful housing crisis and to top things off, taking away people's local employment and industry by placing refugees in hotels, B&Bs and hostels. 25% of hotels being used in this country to house refugees, at last count.

Real bright spark and logical stuff at work here, not!

Did the government miss their lessons in primary school about how Capacity works. Overflow, overflow, overflow!

• Advertisement

You didn't specify, also is there something wrong with the data? Other then it refutes your claims?

who would be the primary desired nations for any migrant/refugee due to their size

I don't think anyone can accuse Germany of not pulling their weight when it comes to Ukrainian Refugees, France is certainly lagging though.

The Ukrainian Embassy need to start advising people not to come here. They should be taking the lead on this.

There is presently no more room, I don't want to see anyone ending up on the streets

They really need to get the word out on this. Accommodate those already here, stop adding to the mess.

Asylum seekers are a select category by themselves. They come under different rules, and statuses than that of mainstream refugees. Few Ukrainians would have applied for sanctuary under the Asylum schemes, because they don't need to and wouldn't have wanted to be stuck within the systems that exist (most of which have long-drawn out processing times).

You didn't refute my claims even slightly, even if we were to restrict ourselves to only discussing Asylum seekers.

As usual Boggles, you rarely (if ever), deal with the points made in the OP, and instead seek to push an entirely different argument. Not Ukrainian refugees, but Asylum seekers. Not that countries are limiting/controlling their intake, but that they're lagging behind.

Dunno why you bother quoting and responding to others posts, when you never seem interested in limiting yourself to what they've introduced.

You didn't refute my claims even slightly

So the data is wrong and you are right?

Would your time not be better served refuting the actual data instead of having yet another personal pop at me?

Or is just the obvious boring deflection?

Have you phoned them yet? Written to them? Contacted your TD about it?

No I checked their website though and they do have a statement up advising people of the situation. Makes sense to me.

Glad to hear you're good with what they've done. No need for you to keep bringing it up then, that'd just be whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

The worrying thing is I don't hear a word of dissent from other government TDs about Helen mcentee n o gorman. The first clown gave an amnesty to everyone in direct provision n the second clown wants everyone that turns up here to have their own pads n full dole after 4 months.

In that article 25% of all hotel beds are now gone for asylum seekers n refugees. I'll wager it's higher in counties along the wild Atlantic way that are hugely dependant on tourism. If those hotels are not back for tourists from paddies day on towns over there will be decimated. Unfortunately that 25% will more likely be higher then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

Yeah, you darent ask questions pointing out inadequate service.

• Advertisement

The data is irrelevant as I wasn't talking about Asylum Seekers, but Ukrainian refugees (which the thread is specifically aimed at). I have no objection about the data, except that it's completely unrelated to the opinions I stated previously.

As for the personal pop, now that's rubbish. Both of your posts directed at me, and both are unrelated to the points I made previously, and the only observations I made about you, were related to the post content, and your posting "style". If that's personal, you must be constantly offended.

There's no need for a deflection. This is what you repeatedly have ignored. You introduced data which was unrelated to the points I made, and then sought to use that unrelated data as evidence to refute my claims... You still haven't directly dealt with the claims I made originally. Three posts on, and you're still talking about Asylum seekers, not Ukrainian refugees.

Advertisement