Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cronins Lane Tralee

Options
  • 29-09-2022 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello Tralee. Have just returned home to Blackpool UK after a long weekend in Tralee. Had a great time tracing my ancestors history as well as some cracking nights in the pubs. My grandfather Patrick Murphy was born at Cronins Lane in 1917 and despite my best efforts I can't locate were it was. Does anybody know ? Also the family moved to 54 Mitchels Road at some point but when was the Mitchels estate built ? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's no mention of a Cronin's Lane in Tralee in the 1901 and 1911 census records, which is odd. Of course, the houses could have been built after 1911, and if that were the case I'd still expect the lane to appear on a Tralee street map.

It's unfortunate that we won't have access to the 1926 census records until 2027, because they'll say where your grandfather was at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Blackpool murphy

Thanks for your reply. My grandfather Patrick murphy has Cronins lane on his birth certificate from 1917. I also have looked on Tralee street maps from late 1890's upto 1926 and haven't found it anywhere. My hunch is it was a small cul de sac off Boherboy and now long demolished. The family also lived on Donovans lane before moving to Mitchels Road. Also found mention of Cronins lane in a paper article from 1908 were a jeremiah murphy was accused of larceny of a duck !!! He was my great grandfather !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Blackpool murphy

For anyone interested in my previous attempts to locate Cronins Lane I can now confirm after some photo/film evidence and conversations that it's located next to the entrance to Dunne stores car park on Rock street. The properties were refurbished in 2000 and are now called Reidys Terrace and having spoken to a resident they have been done to a high standard. It seems they were originally built for railway workers as the Fenit line ran directly behind the original cottages.

Post edited by Spear on

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Merged into original topic thread - MOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,048 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder if Reidy's Terrace was once upon a time called Reidy's Lane, and the name Cronin got tagged to it for some reason? It's weird 🤣

There are ten properties mentioned on this link for Reidy's Lane, which could be the same properties in Reidy's Terrace today.

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭phormium

I just read an article lately about Reidy's Terrace, it seems it was called that since the day it was built as it was built by a man called Reidy and named after his father. Link to FB page with the info https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=2566294736919099&set=pcb.2566297136918859

Advertisement