Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Waffling again Donald away from the farming you have not got a clue.

No I could not but I could buy more land, and improve it. I be allowed to write down the interest on that loan and any improvement costs as well as any investments accross the rest of my farm.

As well if I had a job or another business if there was a loss I could write down that loss against PAYE income from either of them. Not only that I could structure capital allowances to make sure it was the higher rate of tax I was allowing against the depreciation

Or are you suggesting that Cairn are paying coupons on loans to certain investors similar to what used happen with Dr Sir or is it Sir Dr at Fitzwilton decades ago.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The risks have to be factored in. If there are two ways of achieving the same purpose the obvious thing to dois to do the less risky thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Interesting development in the UK that may have consequences for the Irish market:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-10-18/property-funds-start-selling-assets-to-help-stricken-pensions

Property Funds Start Selling Assets to Help Stricken UK Pensions

• The CBRE UK Property PAIF plans to sell 1 Albemarle Street
    • L&G and Abrdn funds also among those selling real estate

ByJack Sidders

18 October 2022 at 16:32 GMT+1

Real estate funds whose investors include UK pension schemes have begun offering properties for sale to meet redemption requests. 

The CBRE UK Property PAIF has appointed broker CBRE Group Inc. to sell 1 Albemarle Street in London’s West End, according to people with knowledge of the process. Legal & General Group Plc’s Industrial Property Investment fund is offering for sale warehouses at Trafford Park in the north-west of England, said separate people, who asked not to be identified as the process is private. A pooled pension property fund at Abrdn Plc is selling warehouses at the Thames Gateway Park in Dagenham, east London, other people said. 

The sales are the latest sign that the turmoil that has rocked the UK pension industry in recent weeks is still reverberating through financial markets. Pensions have been dumping stocks, bonds, collateralized-loan obligations, and pulling money from almost any fund that will give it back. 

Representatives for Abrdn, CBRE Global Investors and L&G declined to comment.

Many defined benefit pension schemes deployed so-called liability-driven investment strategies that enabled them to ramp up leverage and juice returns. The Bank of England was forced to step in to stabilize markets after rising gilt yields triggered margin calls at the funds that came too quickly for them to manage. 

The central bank intervention bought the pension funds extra time to increase their cash buffers. There are around 5,500 so-called defined benefit schemes in the UK, according to The Pensions Regulator, managing around £1.8 trillion. 

The 1 Albemarle Street property in London’s Mayfair district is among the top holdings in the CBRE fund and is valued at about £60 million to £70 million, according to a fund fact sheet. CBRE Investment Management, which manages the fund, deferred redemption payments earlier this month. The Thames Gateway warehouses are among the largest assets in the Abrdn fund. 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

A similar situation caused the sale of the Mespil flats in Dublin 30 years ago. Great fun if the same thing started here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

1). You decided to inject into the hypothetical scenario that the owner could sell the site for 50k.

2) Given that another person could purchase the site and make 50k on building and selling the house in the hypothetical scenario, do you think that a rational person will pay 50k for the site?

I mean it is very easy to refute any argument if we are allowed add in our own facts to "prove" something. You might as well have said that instead of building the house and making 50k, they should sell the site which cost 100k for a million quid

• Advertisement

Awful irrelevant waffle there Bass. Again, whatever your obsession is with this Cairns, I never mentioned them at all.

You are the one who thinks you can put "required margin" and interest you don't actually incur, as costs. Madness.

Apologies, I forgot that this mechanic received him MBA at the Bass school of business. His estimate of costs to fix your car will also include his "required return" along with the rates for his time, the parts, and the interest charge for his premises as if he was mortgaging it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jayno66

Central Bank to allow borrowing up to 4 times income, rather than 3.5. I can only see this pushing house prices up, or certainly not allowing them to reduce from current levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That central bank rule was the only thing keeping house prices under control. Bloody dangerous clowns if they change it. Houses are just going to jump by thousands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

This strikes me as extremely irresponsible, and also seems as though it's a direct reaction to the seeming slowdown of housing prices. Very fishy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Can't see the logic of this. Enough people exist to buy current housing stock as it is. Now enough people will exist to buy them moetgage approved at 0.5 x income more than before. So that's what, an extra 40k or so?? I think I heard the average joint salary drawing down first time mortgages was 85k or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

CBI know house prices are now falling and the institutions/funds internationally are in trouble this an irresponsible attempt by the FF/FG/CBI to interfere in market inflation no lessons learned by the usual suspects in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 20,024 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 20,024 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If you don’t understand that his required return isn’t baked into his hourly rate then there is no hope for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

central bank reacting to threat of falling house prices by encouraging people to borrow more to keep the shitshow on the road. Lessons not learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

As someone who has been trying to buy this summer this is such a massive kick in the balls. Prices finally look like they might be stabilising and they go and do this, utter fúcking madness. Housing is already out of reach to many under 40 in Ireland at current prices and at the first sign of things potentially slowing down they decide to do this. I'm actually gobsmacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭mike_cork

I'm in the same boat. Prices were starting to come down slightly in Cork and they do this. Increasing the amount that can be borrowed will only service to drives prices up....I'm frankly devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Id imagine houses worth 450k in the commuter belt today will be 500k by this day next week. 530k by the end of the year.

A crazy decision. Nuts. Wow.

You'd nearly swear there was a general election coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

wow sounds like severe financial distress in the uk pension markets .. potentially knocking onto property markets too .. who knows what direction this will hop..

as for our own CB upping lending ratios at a time of rising interest rates .. it beggars absolute belief ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I really feel bad for the likes of yourself, what a shitshow and it smells stink rotten to the highest order. I honestly believe with the crap that's gone on over in England and pension and Investment firms under pressure this is just a government intervention in order to allow some of these investment funds to liquiditate some of their housing stock while pending up demand in order to give them an "out", all the while at the absolute detriment of the Irish first time buyer trying to make their way in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I agree that it’s a bad decision. But I really don’t think CBI have been pressured here by either FF/FG.

I also suspect this decision has been a long time coming. The CBI absolutely do not make quick decisions. So this train probably started before recent interest rate rises.

That said banks themselves seem to be much more fiscally responsible these days. I wonder if their own stress tests will bite before the LTI does which would make the change irrelevant. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Why are you gobsmacked? The state has done everything it can to drive up house prices up. I'm surprised that they didn't do this before now, if anything.

However, I think that this will delay the inevitable only for a time. Eventually, the market will turn, but this action is allowing people to take on more debt to pay for yet higher house prices at a time when interest rates are rising. The politicians and bureaucrats who run this Ponzi scheme have long since passed the realm of incompetent. After the last few years, the adjectives that come to mind for me are "sinister" and "malicious".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's absolutely bonkers. On the one hand you have the ECB engaging in monetary tightening and the local office in Dublin loosening.

And it doesn't matter now when the policy takes effect, prices rise in the morning.

As someone trying to buy a family home, this is a massive kick in the balls. 3.5x was the level of debt that we were comfortable with, just about but now essentially we now have to choose between financial stability in the home or a home of our own at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

That's it exactly. Punishment for the prudent.

But sure, at least now you can enjoy a life of constant stress, and never be able take a break from work. Make sure not to ever get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm not sure will it affect prices that much, confidence is beginning to wane in the market

Confidence is waning but the government just pulled about 2k dwellings from supply and the CB has just raised the financial ceiling for every borrower.

The tide might be on the way out but they are doing their damnedest to stop it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I would love to be able to share your optimism, I pray it doesn't make houses jump by 40 - 50 grand over night but I know for a fact housing developments have slowed up big time now and sites not starting new phases with the cost of materials, this dwindling down of the housing stock even more and more money floating around for less stock I believe will make houses prices rise even with rate hikes comming in the near term.

If central banks pivot to bail out the fiancial system that may break soon due to the highering of rates, the injection of liquidty into the markets by lowering interest rates and QE you can bet your life house prices will continue in one way. And inflation will also continue in one way. UP

This is the justification for the change. Because incomes are not keeping pace with materials inflation it's becoming very difficult for housebuilders to build homes that people can get the finance to buy to allow them to turn a profit. It looks like they believed that housebuilding would collapse if people didn't have access to more money.

This neglects other options though. A huge part of a houses value is tied to the land it sits on and that is absolutely ripe for trimming. Add to that the fact that housebuilding here is notoriously inefficient, there were other options.

They chose the easiest lever to pull, increase the indebtedness of the people that suffered no jobs in the recession and astronomical rents as they tried to save. Sure why not throw on a lifetime of heavy indebtedness too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭witzky

I'm so pissed off here. Just gone sale agreed and about to make bid on house tomorrow. No doubt the house I want will go up and force me to cancel our agreement. Nothing in writing so OK but feel bad as first time buyer who is buying ours. Price was fair I thought, didn't want to push too much. **** livid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cllr_Dermod_Fahy

It's depressing. I've been biding my time as I would like to buy but it's not a forever home so I don't want to buy and then be unable to sell in future. House prices are so high, way overvalued. I hear the government guy on virgin media just now try and make out new houses are not overvalued because they're A1 energy rated.

The idea of buying new hasn't even entered my mind. It's not possible. I earn 55k and I'd easily get a mortgage with 4 times salary and buy apartment around 250k at current levels. But it's crazy money. The mortgage would be 1k a month. That's 33% of net salary. I think it's crazy. Then you have bills and charges on top. And these properties are not even nice. They're tiny, around 50 square metres with tiny kitchens you'd struggle to put an air fryer on. If I did buy one of these, I wouldn't feel a shred of any positive emotion or celebration. They're matchboxes with electric heaters and outdated bathrooms.

People seem to be desperate to buy a house and pay 50% of their net income on a mortgage. I find that idea sickening. To think I'd be working my balls off at work and that half of my week is just to pay for the roof over my head.

It's so frustrating that I try to be sensible, not overpaying for something so clearly overvalued yet government and central bank are doing all they can to increase prices every time.

It's hard to put into words just how disgusting this is. In a time where the ECB are increasing interest rates to bring down inflation, our own central bank are increasing the money people get to run after housing which will drive up house prices, drive up inflation. More people will job hop or demand raises at work, which in turn creates a vicious cycle of inflation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement