Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,116 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's possible by the time Man City kick off their next game that the gap will be 4 points between Liverpool & Man City.

Obviously depends on Liverpool winning their games first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

they'd adapt.

they didn't have a striker last season either, and they'll just do their false 9 suffocation, which will still destroy most teams.

bigger issue for them would be losing Rodri, Ederson or KDB IMO.

i'm forgetting about this season for us in terms of a title charge unless something weird starts happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Who plays left wing on Wednesday ,

Nunez , Carvlho ,Bobby ,Jones , Elliot ,Tsimkas, totally left field Trent ?

I see Nunez getting loads of hassle but i wonder did Jota block out the ability to put Salah in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Fantastic post. Absolutely spot on.

FFP is a sticky one however. Completely agree with oil states distorting the market, and how they have leeway to right transfer errors beyond what mere mortal clubs can do. For example, £100 million bit part player Jack Grealish being signed despite already having Foden and Mahrez at their disposal.

The biggest con however is a club like Man City topping the revenue list, its actually a scandal when you think about it. That a club like City, who never fill their stadium, have average global footprint in terms of supporters overseas, can lead the way in revenue warrants a proper investigation. The issue however, the likes of City, PSG and now Newcastle have more money than UEFA. And any attempt to properly investigate will see them tied up in litigation/appeals for years.

On the flipside, FFP is also a ploy to maintain the old status quo. Real Madrid, United, Barcelona, ourselves now (based on the last 5 years). We have been a case study on how to run your club efficiently whilst still enjoying some success. But this will not be the case for everyone. So instead of Real Madrid (who ironically are the loudest in pointing out this stuff about PSG) and Man Utd nicking the cream of the crop every season, we have oil money distorting the market.

Clubs like United, Madrid and Barca are happy to maintain this status quo, it means nobody can spend to join their cartel. They have built up huge organic revenues through sustained success (we are joining this club too), but these 3 still borrow to spend, something we don't and won't do. In the case of Madrid, are they any better? A club who has debts written off by the Bank of Spain when the sh*t hits the fan.

The equality in somewhere in between FFP and spending like an oil state. I know FFP is designed to also protect clubs from being financially negligent, but in the case of City, the fact they are the highest earners in revenue is an absolute scandal. And the powers that be, UEFA, Sky Sports etc.. have little to no interest in bursting the bubble of this "product".

It is however player greed that is driving this farce at the end of the day. An enforceable salary cap would make things more competitive and limits to what teams can spend on their playing/coaching staff. The likes of Haaland hawking himself around europe to the highest bidder, with 20 million for his agent and 20 million for his ould fella and the likes. Mbappe getting an eye watering amount of money after tax at PSG, who for some magical accounting reasons can stay within FFP too, despite playing in the French league, its bonkers.

Football would actually be in a better place if transfer fees were done away with and there was a limit on what can be spent by clubs. It would ensure a more even spread of players too as it would become impossible to get so many stars into one team.

But I guess this is what the super league was trying to do. Something that was never really properly debated, it was put across as outrage by sky (the most vested interest you could get), Gary Neville telling us it stifles competition, it actually stifles these clubs ability to make the millions they seek rather, by reaching the top of the pyramid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Disappointed to see that we are only red button premier sports tomo night. For us Now tv people, that's no good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reports starting to appear out of Portugal that Jota will miss the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great post and this for me is why Klopp is the best around, Pep and City have an unlimited budget and he just can't shake us. We have had a poor start but you better believe our results are the one Pep is watching closest still, he knows Klopp is the only one who can win 14 games in a row and give them a fight. Pep and Klopp need each other though, both have driven themselves to greater heights and consistency than they could have without. This "rivalry" makes there achievements legitimate, beating a genuine managerial great like Klopp and a historically big, popular club like liverpool because as you said no one cares about their success.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Jota to miss the World Cup with a calf injury. Terrible news for the lad. Happened right at the end of the game as well.

Listening to Pat Nevin today who knows a thing or two about wingers/wide players rave about Elliott today and how great he has been not just in the City game but all season and what a player he expects him to become was a great listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,119 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

As a club, City are desperate for relevancy, and their fans know it too. they desperately try to antagonise Liverpool and their fans when they travel to Anfield because they need the hatred. It needs to be manufactured, because in any real sense, nobody cares about their successes, other than it's a shame that human rights violating financial doping has allowed it to happen. so the fans do whatever they can to make us hate them, because in their heads, that's what a rivalry is. The 'competitive rivalry' is not enough.

The above for me hits the nail squarely on the head. As a United fan, City have never been what I would consider to be a rival. I have no affinity or connection to Manchester other than United were the team I picked to follow when I was a kid, nothing more. City could win 10 leagues and 10 CL's in a row and I couldn't care less because every single bit of success they have had was and is completely artificial. Im in my 40s now and as far as I am concerned, City will never be a big team. They spend big, they've bought trophies and will continue to do so but its all fake, the same short man complex will remain because at their core, thats all they are, their fans know it and most other fans know it too. Im sure when this generation of fans are dead and gone and the generations to come grow up with City winning all around them that opinion will dissolve but for a particular cohort, City will always be a sow in a silk dress. I believe thats why it was easy for alot of Irish United fans to voice their preference for City winning league titles over LFC, because the rivalry between United and Liverpool has been there for decades but City are of no consequence. City crave that level of relevance but its not forthcoming so they have to invent a rivalry, from still talking about their bus windows being broken a couple of years ago to the vile behaviour at the weekend. They are a nothing club tbh.

The recovery is going to be as tough mentally as it will be physically

Ox is back fully team training

Ramsey back full training he will play with the under 21's this weekend.

Keita is starting to join the team training

Konate is 10 days away.

• Advertisement

When do we start to worry about Jota

Played 90 odd games but has missed 32 through injury & that's before this injury, not great injury record at all ,

Everyone seems to fall apart for us,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Have you not written him off yet? Must be one of the few that you haven't. The sky is falling down. Tedious.

Great win at the weekend. Big injection of confidence for quite a few of the players like Elliot and Gomez who've struggled a bit this season.

No i haven't wrote him off but its a worry, Jota one of those it hard to complain about the lad gives it absolutely everything every time he plays ,

Brilliant from Gomez he has everything but i think lacks self confidence or belief at times , Some one made the comment during the game on here that the intensity suited him as he never had a second to switch off which is a good call, Same as Big Virg he knew he had to aggressive with Haaland so was on it and at his best,

Elliot played very well, iv called him out plenty of times this season for performances but I'm completely aware he can & will get better, I just don't think he is good enough NOW to start every game like he was ,although that was because of injuries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thought Klopp had banished Naby to the nether realm....

We really need to flog him in January

On Konate ,Klopp said 10 days then counted 10 days from the ranger games & said that would be Saturday ,So probably back midweek next week,

• Advertisement

He has to fit for that so hopefully he can get back and get minutes under his belt to show he is fit if they intent to sell him.

I think he and his agent with sign a pre-contract with a team in Germany in January and leave in the summer on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Don't see how a player who has 6 months left on his contract will accept a transfer in January. They will lose out on money that the transfer fee is worth to be paid to them. The player cannot be forced to sign a contract with the club when they are entitled to sign one for the end of the season. Not unless you use it as a swap that is beneficial for both clubs, and I cannot see how that will work for all parties.

Reports that AC Milan want to sign Bobby on a pre contract in January.

Suppose it makes the most sense to be fair, obviously I just want rid at this stage!

There were rumours Xavi was also interested in him, but knowing Barca it would need to be a free signing and not sure Xavi will be still there at this stage if they start slipping up now in La Liga and EL likely soon on the cards...

Naby "Deco" Keita 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Programme on RTE1 now about Hillsborough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lampard backed Klopp on his City spending comments as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ramsey scored for the U21 tonight on his debut.

Bobby Clark wasn't in the squad so maybe a call up for tomorrow's game?

Jurgen Klopp takes legal action over xenophobia claims

Liverpool coach denies claims of slurs against City owners, saying comments about rivals’ wealth were ‘misunderstood’

Joyce in the Times reporting the club has also taken legal advice on behalf of Klopp as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

I'm sure when he gets over this injury he'll finally show his true worth etc. etc.

Nearly typed it with a straight face too.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

Good to hear Klopp and the club will look to take legal action as the accusation is bizarre and nonsensical. We are starting to see the regime that own city for who they are, they operate where free speech is not allowed and dissent is swiftly dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

________Alisson________

Trent_Gomez_VVD_Robertson

______Thiago_Fab______

Elliott__Firmino__Carvalho__

_______Salah________

Kill em that way

I wonder are we going to see the Streisand effect with this, in an effort to stymy discussion about the MC owners, the MC owners have actually magnified the attention on themselves. Their PR company must be pulling their hair out, assuming they were not the ones stupid enough to accuse Klopp of discrimination via unnamed sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Its a load of BS. By accusing Klopp of racism other managers etc. will think twice about questioning the likes of City and Newcastle and their spending. Its a clear tactic by City officials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Big game tonight. In one way the city game was a free hit considering our form before it. Tonight there is more pressure on the team to win,so let's see how they cope with it

I suspect the effect will be the opposite, the fact that the most high profile manager currently in world football, who isn’t employed by MC, questioned their financial power of the three clubs and the distortion it causes, might well open the door for others to follow.

This would have blown over if those unnamed sources hadn’t briefed against Klopp, now the story is guaranteed to endure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Is our match on TV later?

Decent article from Atkinson....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

I think all this week's games are on Amazon Prime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Even in Ireland?

Can you get the game on NOW tv tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So it's not on tv, as they are showing Man U game, but you're saying one can press the red button for the Liverpool game?/

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

What do we think for tonight team?

Allinson

TAA, Gomez, VVD, Robo

Fab, Hendo

Elliot Firmino Carvalho

Salah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Has to be 4-4-2, need Nunez and salah up front.

I think it will be 4-4-2 with Trent, Carvalho & Nunez starting.

Trent Gomez VVD Robbo

Elliott Fab Thiago Carvalho

Salah Nunez

it can easily morph to a sort of 4-2-3-1 if needs be.

La Liga want the Super League started because of the chasm of difference in cash between the English PL and La Liga

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Florentino Perez is sick to his stomach not having his pick of players anymore. Sick of sportswashing to be honest, but these clubs need to be more specific in their grievances. "Certain clubs" are making it unsustainable for everyone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement