Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland Open, Waterfront Belfast 16-23 October. Eurosport and Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

quick with the 'damage limitation' in studio re Trump's interview 😃 "never easy,,, cameras stuck into his face right after losing,,," 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Not really like Trump. He was well beaten and knows it himself, so that is a measure of the performance by Aaron tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Poor from them really, he should have been called out on it quite frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

What luck was there apart from the obvious first frame flukes? Nothing leaps out at me after that, just the usual back and forth run of the ball between the two. I honestly thought Judd was going to have a go at the table or the conditions or something else, cos he never looked comfortable out there from the start. But care less really. Aaron out again at 7 tomorrow evening v Tom Ford. Ford one of those guys hard to predict, massive underachiever but on a going night, he can be a sticky customer. Aaron reproduces that form and I'd fancy he'll go close at a bare minimum. I trust the celebrations won't be extending into the wee small hours!

in case you're followin t'thread @Rachelcasey; please don't make a meal out of "typical of us Irish etc,, always have to say hello to mammy and daddy etc etc when we're on TV" when next young Aaron is playing

you're better than that Miss Casey 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Anyone see Jimmy White's Joe Pesci moment earlier?

What's funny about that? Funny how? 😄

Thought Ben Williams' warning was unnecessary, White just put his hand up in frustration.

Hard to know what to make of it. Jimmys embarrassed himself i think but not sure why he's reacted like that, not something you'd normally see from him. Williams is a bit stunned by Jimmys overreaction so isn't inclined to let the raised finger go. Or so it seems to me anyway. Snooker is generally pretty good for lads keeping their emotions in check so always seems noteworthy when they slip from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

Watched Aaron on replay.

What a win, am over the moon for him. Played confidently and positively, the luck he got was well deserved. The shot on yellow, the shot on red but plenty of other belters too, including the 36 break to take scrappy frame 3.

4-1 is about right, I didn't see Judd's interview yet but sounds poor form of him.

Aaron's interview on the other hand would bring a smile to your face, thanking his sponsors, shout-outs to his girlfriend ;).

I hope in his buzz he heard Jimmy's advice, if he plays his own game with the confidence he showed tonight he can only go far.

Would definitely fancy him to beat Tom Ford, looking forward to tomorrow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Regarding the Jimmy incident, I think it's a case of both being a bit at fault, Jimmy escalated the situation and overreacted when there was no need too, ref simply took his comment as a joke and laughed which is pretty common in snooker tbh, but I don't think the warning was necessary either.

David Grace just absolutely butchered 3 gilt edged chances to beat Ronnie there. Just shows the pressure these guys are on when it comes to these situations i suppose. A mid frame pep talk from Aaron might be what he could di with right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fair play to him, got there in the end and that's a huge victory for him. Off day for ronnie, definitely did have one or two things go against him but very much doubt he'll even mention it in post match interview!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

One of those where he didn't look bothered whether he won or lost - some weeks he just prefers doing the pundit work. I think you can count on one hand the amount of tournaments that he will be 100% up for these days..these home nation events are practice matches for him.

I wonder what sort of money Ronnie would be getting to be a pundit on Eurosport.

For a lad who says he can only take so much snooker and the tour, he hangs around tournaments a lot.

That's not a complaint at all, good to see him involved so much, good for him, good for the sport. Complex, complex character.

If I had his bread though, I'd be out driving Ferraris round a racetrack and wining and dining with some good company on my days off.

For others like, Willo, Hendry and Jimmy, it's the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

I think he did all that in a former life Arfur! All about the running and the dogs now!

Probably hangs around until the end of events (playing or pundit) as it means he'll be running different routes to his norm!

I know there were lots of times when he swore differently, but I've always felt Ronnie just simply loves the game and will do until he draws his last breath. I'm sure he gets a fair wedge for the tv work, plus he gets to hang out with jimmy which I'm sure he loves so it's all good. His off table lifestyle seems fairly simple to me, very tight circle of family and close friends around him, the running and whatever other hobbies he might have. He'd have a serious gap in his life without snooker, i think, and I'd have a small wager that he'll be involved one way or another for another couple of decades at least, barring mishaps.

Must admit I'm a bit more nervous about tonights match than last nights which in some ways felt like a bit of a freebie to me. Bit more expectation tonight and while Ford is on paper a much easier assignment, you know he'll be looking at this week as a big opportunity to go deep in the tournament so he won't lack for motivation. Still, if i was aaron looking at the bookies odds which have Ford at 3/10, I'd be thinking that's a major insult after how he played last night. Ford favourite fair enough, but should be a fair bit tighter than that imo.

tenner on Aaron @ 12/5 outta solidarity as well as no small chance of collectin' 🤣

thought I saw Eamonn Coghlan in the audience, sitting beside what looked like Super Hans in the reprise there 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

never mind!

• Advertisement

with all the hype I was 100% sure we was gonna see Aaron Hill's match on TV live 😓

Knew it wouldnt be on tv but frustrating not to have a live feed for some reason. Hopefully it can be fixed.

Ford v Hill is on the Eurosport App

Aaron just missed easy enough red to give first frame to Ford.

Why didn't hill put ford in for second attempt at that yellow ball snooker?

White travels another 2 inches past yellow there and almost certain the frame is his. Thought he could pot it tbh but difficult to be sure when you're not behind the shot. Shame to lose it in the manner he did.

He would have but no miss called in that situation as Aaron was needing a snooker.

Got to cut out the unforced errors. As Hendry would say.

Quite the miscue there! Can't recall seeing something similar..

• Advertisement

Hitting the black on that second escape effort was a very bad error and then the disastrous miscue! Not sure what type of shot he was attempting there, just not going his way yet tonight.

Advertisement