Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of the Dragon - GoT Prequel Series (non book reader)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The foot thing must be her reward to him for his updates.

Didn't know they kings guard lads were twins, thought there was just one of them!

What's next week's episode called? I'll guess "The Black <something>" given Ep09 was "The Green Council"

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

My guess is that she is not in support of Aegon as king but also doesn't want to actively fight for Rhaenyra as queen. Rhaenyra gave birth to 2 boys while married to Rhaenys' son but neither of them are his, he was then murdered (as far as she knows) to facilitate Rhaenyra marrying Daemon to strengthen her claim to the crown. This being Daemon who allowed their daughter to die in child birth by not bringing her home in time for the birth where they may have had more experienced meisters. Maybe she is thinking that Laenor died in order to allow Rhaenyra & Daemon pair up for the crown and will let them do their own fighting and let that play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The ending felt a bit contrived, seemed like the obvious cause of action was not taken for no obvious reason. Episode 8 and most of 9 felt so grounded, so realistic, like the best episodes of GOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why wouldn’t Rhaenys burn them all to a crisp?

Guardian recap ponders this question

Rhaenys’s decision not to burn the entire clan alive is slightly questionable – did she think back to a little chat she’d had with Alicent, about both of them getting shoved aside in favour of less deserving men? Is she unsure yet which side she’s on – after all, Alicent’s opponents did, as far as she knows, murder her son, Laenor. Or is she simply aware that, if she kills half the characters, there’ll be no show left?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,347 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What makes you think something happened to the Worm ?

Well at least we know he isn't just another Varys 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The burning building at the end. People are assuming it was hers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was wondering what the significance of the building was

Ah ya. That building made no sense to me but it was clear that it was supposed to be some important moment going by the way it's shot.

Hopefully that's the end of her cause I can't be listening to that terrible all over the place accent. Its worse than Lifflefingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

Good episode I'm looking forward to next week's. Now I understand the uptick in feet memes in the last 24 hours.

Re: Rhaenys nor toasting everyone, regicide is a pretty serious crime and it would create succession issues if she was the one to do it and not the rightful heir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I thought english wasn't the actor's first language, but I was wrong!

• Advertisement

I think she is trying to do the "exotic" accents that the Essos people have.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Not that it matters a lot but I've thrown in the towel on this series. Eps 7, the funeral scene; was the last straw. It was so dull, full of needless longeurs and frankly annoying (was the script writer off sick?) As for the characters, I could not give a toss if they lived or died, none of them grabbed me in any shape or form.

I protest too much but hey ho. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Yeah that was my thinking.

Yer man kinda promised the queen.

My bigger question on that scene was ..

who was the person walking away from the fire.. seemed all black masked out for hiding effect

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

you think i can spell their names? (or the rest of my hastefully written post.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Damn good series tbf and I really didn't expect it given the state of GoT Season 8 (gave the whole thing a miss until 2 days ago when I was out sick from wok and binged it). The writing reminds me of the earlier seasons of GoT in a good way - I imagine George RR Martin had a decent amount of involvement as opposed to the later seasons of GoT. Also the cast are excellent - Paddy Considine in particular fully deserves an Emmy for his performance as Viserys.

Overall I'm far happier with this series than I thought I'd be, and I'm looking forward to the next episode and the next season. I'm glad something has the chance to redeem Westeros as a big budget setting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

When is the next series?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah, and at this stage Rhaenys knows that for Rhaenyra to take the crown, they're going to need support. If Rhaenys had killed Aegon (and even all who were on the stage), Aegon was already proclaimed King which would mean succession would fall to his eldest child. The better course of action would be to call into question Aegon's coronation itself, and that they're going against Viserys' naming of Rhaenyra as his heir in order to steal the crown.

Rhaenys appears to be very well regarded throughout the Seven Kingdoms, and is essentially the head of Driftmark etc. She's as much of a danger to Team Green using her political position. By backing Rhaenyra's claim, she can have a huge influence in the battle for the throne. If she'd just torched them with her dragon, I think it would have turned huge swathes of the Kingdoms against Rhaenyra's claim, which is already tenuous with a lot of the Houses of Westeros.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Evade

I don't think has any legitimate children, the one eyed brother said he was next in line.

Weren't there children in the room with Heleana and a maid took them out of the room before Alicent broke the news of Visery's death to her? I presumed they were her and Aegon's children.

I think Aemond the brother was remarking about he was next in line as Aegon's younger brother but would have made for a better King and always took more interest in their lessons and stuff than Aegon.

He has two children with his wife/sister doesn't he? I'm not sure if they are boys or girls though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I missed until now that Aegon the terrible had married his sister & had kids. All this changing of actors is confusing.

Urgh. I really find the incest hard to stomach.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Won't be for a few years, it hasn't even started production yet. They only announced it had been renewed when we were two or three episodes into this one.

And seriously, folks, can we ditch the spoiler tags? They're cumbersome and completely unnecessary, imo. Anyone stupid enough to come into the thread before they've watched a given episode has only themselves to blame if something gets spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah I don't think we should need spoilers for anything that has aired... if someone has found something out online OR bringing content in from the book that's different... and the latter shouldn't really be here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

The fella at the end is one of Larys' lads with the tongues cut out. You can see he's wearing the broach with the firefly sigil on it.

You just need to pay closer attention I think. Them being betrothed was brought up in the funeral scene at Driftmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Rhaneys (???), the one on the dragon, why was she still in Kings Landing ?

Didn't her son get beheaded in the last episode, think she would have buggered off quick step.

Cole killing the guy at the high council made no sense either, he gets away with everything

Thought Rhaneyays (?) was due back on dragonback, in GOT shed of been back in 5 mins

Why did Varys lock up all the staff in the beginning ?

I need to start paying more attention

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm convinced some people watch this show with their head in their phones.

It really does require close attention, and more than one viewing, imo.

Rhaenys was still in King's Landing as she wasn't travelling with Rhaenyra. She arrived in KL before Rhaenyra and was likely going to be leaving in the next day or so. However, it wasn't her son who was killed, it was her brother-in-law (her husband's brother). He (Vaemond) was attempting to take control of Driftmark which would essentially cast Rhaenys and her grandchildren (the legitimate ones her daughter had with Daemon) out. There was little to no love lost there with his death, even though she may not have wanted him dead/killed.

Cole killing the guy was definitely out of nowhere, but I'm not sure the intention was to kill (he slammed the guys head down on the table, but it was the ball thing they place in the tables which would have caused the slam to be fatal). Regardless, he's protected because the guy was going to act against the Hightowers, and to back Rhaenyra's claim and make her Queen before Otto and Alicent could have Aegon crowned.

Rhaenyra was due back on dragonback, however they had only just left and she was sailing back to Dragonstone with her kids. The events of this episode all took place during the course of a few hours. She doesn't even know of Viserys' death yet, and they had only left that night after the meal.

Varys locked up the staff because some of them knew Viserys had died, so they were trying to prevent any of the staff from revealing that before Otto & Alicent could plan for Aegon to be King. Though Talia (one of Alicent's maids who was a spy for the White Worm woman who had Aegon) had already signalled to her about Viserys' death by lighting the candles in the window (this isn't stated, but is the likely reason we were shown her putting those candles in the window and lighting them, and we saw her talking with the White Worm towards the end of the last episode).

• Advertisement

It's about 4 days by ship from King's Landing to Dragonstone. And 6 hours flight on a Dragon.

Advertisement