Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Tbh I think you're out of touch at this stage, rents outside of Dublin have skyrocketed too in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭byrne249

Nearly dropped dead when I saw the article last night. These people are categorically liars are charlatans. 'Builders' had a say in this???. Our democracy is broken. This is the straw that puts Sinn Fein in power. At least for me I'm willing to put them in power now. Anything to get rid of these current shower of collaborators.

Just as concerns about the market being overvalued start to come out here are these guys tripping over themselves to increase prices. Well screw the lot of them. I will buy second hand only and be driven way out the country. Couldn't be partaking in this 'new build' ponzi scam where you don't even get a bloody fire place to heat yourself when the blackouts finally hit us

Edit: At this stage this country requires a mass protest of people refusing to buy new builds until all these charlatans are bankrupt or the govt steps in to build/sell houses at cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

The central bank of Ireland is to ease mortgage rules?

The ECB has started the most extreme monetary tightening in its history and the central bank of Ireland is loosening. Am I getting something wrong here? Is this not similar to the UK problem that their government was increasing money and bank tightening.....

Loosening money increases inflation. Inflation is our biggest threat right now. This is just bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Repossession won't happen, unfortunately, especially if they happen to have kids.

You are penalised for being prudent in Ireland. It all comes down to how much of a brass neck you have in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yes and Irish times Q&A says expected immediately. - hard to know.

When will the new rules come into play?

We’ll have to wait for the formal announcement but the presumption is that the rules will come into force immediately on any new loan applications and on those that are already before lenders awaiting a decision. It is not clear if house-hunters who already have mortgage approval but have not yet found their home or drawn down the mortgage will be able to increase the amount available to them without going through the whole process again.”

For 230k you wouldn't even get a burnt out old drug den in Finglas. But shur, you're in de capital. You know, New York, Paris, Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Sinn Fein will change little. One need only read their policies to see that it is more of the same with different wording.

When a government is replaced, the apparatus of the state does not change with it. The senior civil servants who "advise" the politicians remain in place, as do the lower civil servants and heads of NGOs. If SF were in power tomorrow, the same interests that have created this mess would still be there. Until that is not so, we will see no meaningful change for the better.

I'm with you on the lack of a fireplace, however...

Why isn't there a like button on here, the best comment and most common sense approach here all morning. Paying back is the hard part, and people say no matter what houses wont be repossessed, that maybe true but many lives will be destroyed by over borrowing especially when there is an incoming recession if you believe what you hear, just cause you dont lose your house doesn't mean everything will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ricimaki

The changes will see first-time buyers able to borrowing up to four times their income for a mortgage, from January.

This is up from three-and-a-half times up to now.

Second-time buyers will no longer need to have a 20pc deposit when moving to a new home. From next year they will be able to secure a mortgage if they have a 10pc deposit.

Second and subsequent buyers will continue to be restricted to borrowing three-and-a-half times their income for a mortgage.

And the percentage of exemptions to the income and loan-to-values, known as the macroprudential policy, will be restricted to 15pc of mortgages.

Currently up to 20pc of mortgages can get an exemption from the lending limits.

• Advertisement

I know unfortunately. My own mantra is generally that the system is broken and Sinn Fein being in power would change nothing. Just the face of the tyrant as it were. Maybe when SF do get in power it will highlight how broken and corrupt the system is for people to want to change it properly but I hold little faith. People are very apathetic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Comes into effect from 1st Jan 2023

Limit for ftb increased to 4

Limit for non ftb still 3.5 but deposit limit at 10% instead of 20%

https://www.centralbank.ie/financial-system/financial-stability/macro-prudential-policy/mortgage-measures/mortgage-measures-framework-review-public-engagement

Broken record here. But is it that our Central Bank is applying an inflationary policy at the exact time when the ECB is in a fight for it's life/currency against Inflation? How can the ECB and our own CB be in complete contravention with each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Living in England brings other issues you would not have here but how did the Irish get to this place where having even a small house in a working class area has become such a hard thing to achieve

Everyone who puts in the effort to works a 9 to 5 for 10 to 20 years should be bale to afford a small modest house , Its bizarre that stage we have got to the stage that it'll be become only accessible for a small % of our young people

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Mandzhalas

Am i right thinking that more than likely prices will go up in January and it is better of to buy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Cllr_Dermod_Fahy

This is unbelievable, at the same time he's increasing the amount of money people can use to chase after limited housing!

The euro zone economy may be facing a recession but rate hikes remain absolutely necessary because persistently high inflation is damaging the economy and stability, the Central Bank Governor said today.

Persistently high inflation is damaging the economy so let's increase inflation even further by giving people more money to run house prices up. Disgraceful. This guy should be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ricimaki

First time buyers having additional funds available will drive prices up.

But, reducing the deposit requirements for second time buyers will bring more buyers into the market with less available funds.

Reducing the number of exceptions from 20% to 15% will also reduce the available funds for more people to purchase with.

I'd expect "starter" home prices to increase, and other homes to remain the same.

People will be borrowing more in nearly all cases, tying them into more expensive loans, regardless of house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

People are making ridiculous comparisons between our capital city and rundown parts of the north of England. See how you get on comparing house prices in London with Offaly, it's equally as valid.

Housing affordability is no worse in Ireland than the UK when you compare like for like in terms of the area, standards of living and salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

I wonder if it might incentivise some of those with houses on the market to pull them and try again in the new year. FTB's can borrow more and the banks won't have exhausted their exemption limits, as is the case for most banks towards the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,736 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I understand what your saying but living in a suburb of a city like Liverpool or Manchester or so has no comparison to living in Offaly ,

Also i was talking about an area that is far from run down ,

Sure look at North Dublin if your not living along the coast the chances are your living in a rough enough area ( a few acceptation's) & prices are mental ,

I do understand there are other issues in England that we don't have but the value's of homes in Dublin is insane ,

• Advertisement

This is absolute insanity from the Central Bank.

House prices are high in Ireland because of a lack of supply.

Loosening macroprudential rules does zero to fix this issue. It just stuffs more debt into Joe Public, at a time when interest rates are rising. At a time when for the first time in years, house price growth was at least slowing, the regulator pours more fuel on the fire and introduces a suite of policies that can only have an inflationary impact on house prices.

The balderdash talked about making certain building projects more viable for builders will come to absolutely nothing either; because if inflation stays persistently high, then building costs will keep climbing with it.

It's absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,036 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Interest rates are going up and not going back down anytime soon. There is a substantial increase in inflation and cost of living. These factors will have far more dampening impact than being able to borrow a bit more.

Older article by previous ICB governor that goes into this stuff.

One thing to note is that the UK has also removed/relaxed their LTI lending rules and the interest rates and other cost of living pressures may be having a greater effect on house prices there seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭straight

There is alot of people with an agenda talking about property without much knowledge.

• Administrators Posts: 53,733 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Administrators Posts: 53,733 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I see we've reached the point on the thread now where the rental crisis is supposedly imaginary, and rents are actually great value, but we just never hear about it in the media.

There's a lot of "I'm alright Jack" in this thread. People who have managed to bag themselves a cheap rental wondering why everyone can't just bag themselves a cheap rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

A direct quote in the CBI note. "In both cases, the changes resulting from this framework review are estimated - all else being equal - to only modestly increase the national HPI (house price to income ratio). These estimates of the impact on the HPI do not take account possible variation in a range of other factors that could influence house prices, which include rising interest rates and a fall in household real incomes".

Another direct quote "Focussing on renters' access to various points on the property price distribution, the CBI estimates that, if applied to properties sold in 2021, an increase in the FTB LTI limit from 3.5 to 4 would have restored the share of renter's able to purchase the median property to 2015 levels. This methodology deals only with the immediate boost to purchasing power, and does not model the possibility that at higher LTI limits, the price to income ratio will also adjust across the economy, which would offset some of the gains experienced by potential purchaser's"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

with the Eurozone inflation at 9.9% what do we expect the ECB to go with at the next meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭straight

Or work hard, save hard and buy your own house. I see plenty value out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,273 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

yup, this is beyond disturbing, but not surprising at all, especially when neoclassical economists are involved, they just have an outright refusal to accept the true functions of money, debt and banks in our markets, especially our property markets, this will be detrimental to our property markets!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement