Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarket Price Increases [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

Tesco own brand chocolate Rice Cakes (six pack), been 55c for a good while.. now 66c. 20% increase.

Wasn't that long ago these were 35c a pack! (although that may have been a four pack).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Not necessarily a price increase but the reduced section has really got to **** in most tescos lately I’ve noticed.

Used to be quite the bonanza of items, now you see **** all in there anymore and what is there is only discounted about 20-30% rather than the heady days of up to 85% discounts on meat etc

Perhaps they noticed it impacting their sales of fresh meat or something. Still annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭con747

Most likely the staff picking the best for themselves like in my local.

I used to get about 10 packs of clonakilty sausages for a couple of euro amongst other things all the time, now nothing worth while.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The reduced to clear section in my local Tesco use be fine a few years ago but of late it's generally rubbish. They can have 20c off something and stuff is left there and bagged up. It used be donated to charity. Not sure if they do this anymore.(When they started doing this is when I noticed it getting poor).

Similarly with Lidl they use be fairly good. Stuff used be marked done a few days before but now nothing really of value.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I thought they were using charities to shift food items close to the date.

I thought I read something to that effect.

https://tescoireland.ie/sustainability/places/food-cloud-partnership/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crayon80

Tesco reduce the price during the day, then early evening they clear everything away for food cloud. Reductions have definitely worsened, a smaller % and off a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've visited my Tesco at different times before the Reduced to Clear stuff use be fine but now you'd see 50c of something valued at about €8.00 at 21:00 with that days date on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,015 ✭✭✭✭cena

They seem to have got rid of the mini gems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

same at Dunnes..no more reduced at a local store on Sunday eve !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭beachhead

M&S and Supervalu I thought were the only ones who actively donate.Tesco must discriminate-no reductions worth talking about ever where I live.Dunnes much better.

• Advertisement

Tesco Battered Cod used to be 1.65 not so long ago - now it's 3.10 - verging on a 100% price increase after going up a few times at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Yeah, ive noticed this price increasing steadily.

How can frozen fish suddenly be double in price.

i know a guy who buys breaded fish, then spends an hour hacking off the breadcrumbs so he has fish fillets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Tesco daily shower spray was 79c.

Now it's €1.

Quite the % increase!

it was a bit of bargain to begin with - maybe a loss leader.

The base cost surely hasn't doubled but certainly has been subject to serious price increases on the retail end for the consumer in Tesco - at an alarming "scale".

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I've noticed various toiletries in Lidl and Aldi have gone up a similar percentage, and more, over the past year.

lidl have same size and weight option for 3 euro but it's better quality.

(4 battered chunky cod fillets 500g - Ocean Sea brand - 100% fillet as opposed to pieces stuck together)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Local Lidl had 6 large eggs for a cheaper price than 6 medium eggs. Only a few cents different... I think it was 1.15 Vs 1.19...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭tscul32

Was looking for cushelle toilet paper. Can usually get it somewhere on offer for around a tenner for 24 instead of the usual €13. Checked tesco earlier and it was €18.50!! I also overheard two guys stacking shelves comment on the crazy increases in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Price of eggs everywhere now is actually frightening

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,743 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Check your local greengrocers, they can be cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Going through my weekly online shop tonight and a huge amount of the items have increased since last week, its becoming a joke at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭gipi

Tesco own brand Soya has gone up from 75c to 95c. Aldi and Lidl were selling their own brand for 75c, but have been out of stock for a few weeks now. I presume when it's restocked, it'll be 95c too.

It is cheaper than a litre of milk now though!

legend has it that the Tesco price increase phenomenon has now become a circular infinite system with the constant price labelling printing and reprinting and much extra effort in manual price label removal and replacing on shelves driving up operational costs and subsequent prices to feed itself!

Everything else is going up

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭nice bit of green

Tesco Clarehall this morning, only 1 till open. Line of 7 trollies waiting to pay, took them 10 mins to open another.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭crayon80

Boxes of tissues the latest Tesco casualty. Were 35c, then 50c, today 75c. More than doubled...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭uli84

Tesco branded folic acid tablets used to be 50c for 90 tablets, now 2.50 for 180 so over 100% increase

1 litre tesco soda water 29c to 59c 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tesco 10 skinny hotdogs are now 1.69, they were 89 a year or so ago.

I have taken to shopping in dunnes, since small value vouchers are easy to get now. The german salami similar 10 pack, same weight it s 1.87 in dunnes, so a lot cheaper with the discounts.

1.2kg chicken is 4.19 in tesco, and 3.79 in dunnes, another no brainer if you are getting up to 25% off that. It is usually in the 3 for 10 deal in tesco, but I do not want that much stuff, and other stuff in that offer are pretty much non-offers.

• Advertisement

T Cheese & Onion Crisps 6x25g now €1.48 in my local Tesco Express. They were 99c a year ago

Advertisement