Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Banshees Of Inisherin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Looks only OK. Although, In Bruges was never expected to become so well regarded before it came out either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I loved In Bruges. Looking forward to people's opinions on this one. Quality actors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha, wasn't aware McDonagh had another coming. Must go back and remind myself what I reckoned of 3 Billboards... cos I don't recall at all. Remember even less of 7 Psychopaths.

This looks interesting and bizarre: it's like a film is trying to bottle that Irish gruff, social belligerence you can get between former friends. Good cast. It's interesting how McDonagh is technically English but has obviously kept a deep, personal connection with his parents' origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Didn't think much of 7 Psychopaths.

But I thought 3 billboards was really good. I wasn't expecting much from it based on a little synopsis of the story; but I found it really entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

7 psychopaths was stupid but this looks good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The problem with McDonagh is that his stuff stops being fun at a certain point. I don't like his extreme shifts in tone. 'In Bruges' is a perfect example. That film is a hoot, albeit in a subdued manner, but when Ralph Fiennes makes his way to Bruges and Gleeson horses himself off of the tower, it stops being entertaining in a light hearted way, and that sudden lurch creates an extremely jarring effect that really impacts the enjoyment of the film in a serious way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh, I thought that was the best part of the film. Plays with your expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭MfMan

The problem with McDonagh I think is that he is a wannabe Tarantino, (who himself was always a wannabe Scorcese/Howard Hawks hybrid), with a bit of Coen brothers mixed in. Always better to develop your own style of film-making.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,100 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just find the sense of humour really juvenile in his films. Or he'll use the N word or something like we're supposed to think omg he actually went there. Like did anyone find the jokes in that trailer funny? I went to see that Lieutenant of Inishwhatever in the Gaeity a couple of years ago, tickets as presents, it was so awful.

Sure. But there are ways to do that without a sudden and drastic lurch in tone.

But if you like it, you like it.

• Advertisement

There's certainly something to that.

That being said, I watched 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' last night and thought it was uniformly great. More Coen Bros. that Quentin. But easily his best effort so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

McDonagh doesn't hard stop his scripts for a random, incongruous monologue about comics though; for which I'm grateful.

Seems a bit of a thin premise to hang a full film off of.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭buried

Looks like a sexier Hi-Def version of Jim Sheridan's 'The Field' more than anything else. When I heard the film title I had hoped it would be something maybe about the fantastic mythos and legend of the 'Banshee' from Irish folklore. But no, looks like McDonagh is just going to continue his ridicule of genuine indigenous Irish culture, like he has already done in works such as 'The cripple of Inishmaan'. No time for this gadge at all. When he is not copying the likes of Tarantino or the Coen's, all he wants to do is showcase Irish people as halfwit thick's. Gets boring after a while.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Well it debuted last night atthe Venice Film Festival

Reviews are very positive

The Telegraph really liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭cmac2009

5 stars in The Times as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Looks like the most Martin McDonagh movie ever :). Looks good though. I wasn't a fan of his brother's "Calvary" though.

Seems decent which is a surprise as I thought the trailer was pretty terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I wouldn't be the biggest McDonagh fan but yeah this does seem to have won over even the skeptics in Venice.

I did go to see The Lonesome West when it was staged in Dublin a few months back (my first time seeing any of his plays) and it was certainly a good deal more satisfying than his films thus far. This seems more in line with that in terms of setting and tone - hopefully so!

Fair to say it's also exponentially more interesting than his brother's latest 'The Forgiven' anyway, which was released in cinemas last week but may as well not exist for all the buzz and interest it has generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,529 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Farrell won best actor at the Venice festival

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,599 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I'm looking forward to this, I'm a massive MMcD fan. Six Shooter his Oscar winning short, and The Pillowman( play) being 2 of my favourites. I wasn't terribly keen on Seven Psychopaths.

His (too?) dark humour (I would NOT call it fun!) might not be to everyone's taste, such is life. Gleeson and Farrell have a great screen presence, and seem to act well together, and this is receiving good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,080 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It will be released in the UK and Irish cinemas from 21st October

Seems to getting more and more Oscar buzz

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

Anyone seen this? Is it as good as the reviews suggest?

I remember Calvary got similarly good reviews and I thought it was an awful film.

• That's what I'm worried about as well. It's like when Tarantino or Christopher Nolan release a movie, everyone goes bezerk over it, even if it's average.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought it was really good, and I've been so-so about most of McDonagh's film work (although Martin is far more accomplished than his brother in that respect, even if Seven Psychopaths was a bit of a dud). It strikes the right balance between comedy and dark drama: often very funny indeed while still packing a fair wallop of existential dread. Definitely the most confident compromise he has found between his playwriting and his screenwriting.

The recent After Yang was something of a career-best for Farrell, but this probably tops that again - really excellent stuff. And Gleeson is a dab hand as always.

Maybe not my absolute favourite of the current batch of cinema releases - I'd give the edge to Decision to Leave - but very impressive work and deserving of the positive reviews. McDonagh's best film to date IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

martin Mcdonagh stuff is wildly overrated and overhyped. I got bit once with that rubbish Calvary.

I won’t be making the same mistake.

Martin McDonagh didn’t write or direct Calvary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,920 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Yeah, I hate to be pedantic, but Calvary was written and directed by John Michael McDonagh, not Martin. John Michael is the Fredo of the McDonagh family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭santana75

Easy mistake to make to be fair. I agree though, Three billboards was over rated. Ive tickets booked for this tomorrow and I'm hoping the film matches the glowing reviews its received.

Advertisement