Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭ersatz

I was impressed by Carbery in this game. At this point I’m expecting him to make mistakes and he didn’t disappoint but some of his passing was excellent, particularly a couple of flat passes to the outside of the forwards pod that caught the Bulls out and made yards and quicker ruck ball as a consequence. In situations where pods got that sort of ball or when players carried the ball on through contact as a result of technique and footwork (Byrne, Coombes, Edogbo, a couple the backs) Munster were motoring. Yes there were mistakes but Carbery's ratio of good to bad was much better in this game than anything else this season. I wouldn't be picking him for Ireland on the strength of it but when Munster bring accuracy and intensity to their carrying and breakdown work he is doing fine on the evidence of this game. Casey's snappy passing works in this environment but he's not been as impressive as I've seen him in the past, poor kicks and occasionally just the wrong decision, nevertheless he's mixing it up with snipes, kicks and changing the direction of his passing so that also buys time. He isn't far off a very positive performance. Beating the Bulls well is a very good outcome and something that will bring a positive buzz to the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I would agree that he played well especially as the game progressed. I thought alot of the things he did well were not really in set plays but he definitely upped his performance.

I still think that crowley has more upside.

edit: reply to ersatz,, forgot to quote.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I'd agree with a lot of that ersatz but on this:

Casey's snappy passing works in this environment but he's not been as impressive as I've seen him in the past

I'd disagree. I think he (or maybe Tadhg Beirne) had been Munster's best player this season up to the Bulls game. Albeit, that's not saying much...

Agree he has been a standout so far, I just thought he didn't up his game as much as the team around him in this game. And I guess I was cursing few of his poor kicks when I thought Munster just needed to stay cool and not make mistakes to get through the line. I felt they ran the Bulls around well and a couple of his choices failed to build on some of the potential they'd built up. For me if Munster are going to go well in Europe this year he is going to have to be near flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭phog

if Munster are going to go well in Europe this year he is going to have to be near flawless.

Isn't that the same for most teams, actually, add the outhalf to that too.

• Advertisement

I don't think we can expect any player to be near flawless, tbh.

And with a higher tempo game, you're likely to see more errors but there's also more upside regardless. We've seen as much with JGP and Ireland.

😑 Here's the literal original post, the only reference to Carbery in the post:

I thought it was the best Munster's attacking shape has looked in a long time. First time in age Carbery looked to be playing with confidence, and didn't look tentative in his decisions. Crowley added a huge spark and really looks to have something about him.

But these:

[Carbery] didn't look tentative in his decisions.

[Carbery] was less tentative in his decision making.

aren't the same, FTD.

Please tell me you actually see the difference in your two posts because if you don't then we're wasting our time.

Byrne has given up, what, one or 2 penalties this season? Maybe I'm ignoring other stuff but he hasn't done much wrong and has seen a lot of ball and an awful lot of ruck work. For me Casey has to be a leader in this Munster team, Carbery might come into his own and build on a good game against the Bulls but he is not a guy who is going to boss the forwards around the field. Murray on song could always lead in that way and Munster really need it from Casey now given that the options at ten just aren't those players. He seems to be though, that's why Id say he is pivotal to their success if he plays very well.

• Advertisement

I'm presuming you mean Tadhg Beirne here, as an example of someone near flawless? He calls the lineout, which is misfiring badly at the moment. Other than that he's been excellent tho; a few penalties given away, but you're going to get that from someone with his jackal threat. Again, I don't expect Tadhg Beirne to be near flawless either; it's pretty unreasonable imo.

But even still, there are other issues with that comparison too namely:

1. Tadhg Beirne is a 30 year old Lion. It's still unclear if 23 year old Casey is first choice.
    2. Your SH sees the ball far more frequently than any other player.

And I've given the example of JGP to demonstrate that, in a higher tempo game, you don't need your 9 to be near flawless to be successful.

No disagreement except to say that JGP works with Sexton outside him, JS does most of the organizing for Ireland and the point I making is that for Munster to compete with the best teams their 9 needs to be doing that and making excellent decisions too.

I’ll be adding a pedant alert to your comments. How many mistakes is a 9 allowed to be near flawless and how many to be merely excellent? Let’s take kicks at between 7 and ten in a match. Off the top of my head Casey is on the money with half of his, maybe 20% count as bad, the rest are meh, maybe lead to an opposition scrum or a messy turnover that doesn’t give up much territory. It’s the 20% I’d worry about, against good teams they can be linebreaks and even tries. 2 of those per match is too many I’d say, even 1 is. You could see the likes of Ringrose, Keenan, Conway, BB etc, scoring off those. Flawless by this measure is zero, but how many is excellent? Murray in his pomp rarely made a genuinely bad one.

Sniping is important but not good if you get isolated and turned over. Casey gives up one of these (at a very fuzzy recollection guess) every 2 games. Flawless means rarely (near) to never (flawless), how many is excellent? (Again, you’re distinguishing, not me).

casey needs to be more like Murray in his prime for Muster to compete in Europe, but I’m interested in how you codify the difference between near flawless and excellent.

I’ll be adding a pedant alert to your comments. 

Submit it as a feature request to boards if you like... 🙄

But to illustrate (using an "out of 10" rating which I'm not particularly a fan of) I'd say excellent is 8-9 out of 10, whereas near flawless is 9.5.

If Casey needs to be near flawless for Munster to be competitive with the best in Europe, then I don't expect Munster to be competitive with the best in Europe. (And I'm not sure many fans have any great expectations for Europe this season anyways tbh).

I mean, you gave Tadhg Beirne as an example and he's calling the lineout.

casey needs to be more like Murray in his prime

I'd disagree with this tbh; even comparing to Murray at this pomp, they're quite different SH's. I think that's part of the reason the transition to Casey becoming first choice has been relatively slow, in that they play quite different games.

Does anyone know if they'll be P&R facilities available for the SA match in PuC? I'm half thinking of parking near Con's field and walking down to PuC but if there was P&R I might go with that.

I'd be reasonably happy with that. Wouldn't mind seeing Goggin start, think he's done pretty ok this season. Would also like to see Salanoa involved, I'd nearly favour starting Knox and putting him on the bench (as much as Archer was better against the Bulls). I'd be in favour of a 6/2 split again too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Munster and Leinster fighting it out to see who can get more injuries before the AIs.

Shane Horgan on Second Captains seemingly entirely unaware of the players Munster were missing vs Connacht that necessitated Carbery player at 15:

Was [Carbery's] performance at 10 a reaction to playing 15 last week, which I don't know the exact circumstances behind it or the conversations had behind closed doors but for Joey Carbery it's not really comfortable.

I find that kinda stuff annoying, tbh; I don't think it's too much to ask that pundits would do a small bit of research.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Haven't heard any info but would be a good idea if they had that option.

• Advertisement

It wasn't difficult to research our injury list and put 2 & 2 together from that.

It's a pretty low bar to expect of a pundit as well tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Squad update today is some grim reading

Salanoa definitely out against Leinster with a head injury, Archer may be just about fit enough to play if we're lucky.

We're gonna need Keynan Knox to perform

Worse still, Casey is being assessed. If Murray starts I think we'll do well to avoid a humiliation. Casey has to be available if we are to have any chance of pulling something off.

We're also potentially missing 2 locks, Beirne and Edogbo meaning we may not be able to play the 3 lock pack that gave us the power we were missing in the first 4 games

Just the 15 players out....

Unavailable: RG Snyman (knee), Jack Daly (knee), Alex Kendellen (head), Paddy Kelly (head), Keith Earls (thigh), Andrew Conway (knee), Simon Zebo (calf), Fineen Wycherley (shoulder), Antoine Frisch (calf).

RTPP: Salanoa

Availability will be determined later in the week: Archer, Edogbo, Beirne, Casey, Nash.

Pretty thin if none of them make it back, could be looking at something like:

1. Kilcoyne
    2. Scannell
    3. Knox
    4. Kleyn
    5. Ahern
    6. POM
    7. Hodnett
    8. Coombes
    9. Murray
    10. Carbery
    11. L. Coombes
    12. Goggin
    13. Fekitoa
    14. Daly
    15. Campbell / Crowley
    16. Barron
    17. Loughman
    18. French
    19. Eoin O'Connor
    20. JOD / JOS
    21. Patterson
    22. Crowley / Healy
    23. Scanell / Phillips

Quite the difference to the bench we were able to name last weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Notwithstanding the injury toll, I like the look of that 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

id have rory scannell at 12 all day tbh but he seems to have got sweet fa in terms of gametime so far this season so i doubt thats going to change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

uffff

i have zero faith in Scannell and Goggin... happy with the rest of that..

Andy Brace is the ref for Saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Goggin has actually been one of our better players this season to be fair to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

At this rate POM is going to have some serious miles on the clock by the time the 6N comes around

Advertisement