Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

April 2023, wow, thats a lot shorter than I thought. they were all scheduled to close are Dec 2022 if I recall, so its only a tiny extension. I honestly thought they were going to get 24 months

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

Good news but it is too late and it is not going to save Germany. Also, the gas storage tanks being filled for 95% might look good but even a 100% would only be roughly 20% of their total need this winter ( caveat: that 20% is guess work but you get the idea).The comments about the grid are just the electricity part and industry needs fossil fuels.And they wont be able to support both their main industry AND their citizens. They would need fully operational nuclear power plants to cover most the loss. Are they ready? Is the question. i dont think so but they might be at the hard edge of winter in january if they move quick although that is my own speculation. The recession and inflation is here and they are living on current stock like every other country. It is going to get bad real quick..

Post edited by deholleboom on

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭deholleboom

I agree. And the green 'idea' is widely supported. Keep working at it until someday it might lead to a higher percentage of energy production, depending on geography. Every country needs to make its own decisions through their own democratic parliaments NOT through supra national institutions like the EU. If i may be so bold, it is one of the reasons for Brexit. Liz Truss is in a feeble position but is at least able to posit an independent position unlike any EU country. We are chained to the cabal. Even if a country decides to go their own way it might end up in a higher EU court with heavy penalties put on the breakaway country, unless it is one of the bigger countries like Germany or France. Then the rules do not apply and will change rapidly. That's how currupt it is..

Anyway, back to the greens. The green deal is failing because it cant be done. The targets set are unrealistic and unattainable. You just have to look at every country trying to implement them. Take the dutch farmers, it will take huge amounts of money to buy them out. This in times of huge changes, recession, inflation, supply chain disruption. It CAN'T happen. This is the crime committed by current governments, that the 'Climate Emergency' overrides EVERYTHING including the welfare of the citizens and the country. It is really that stupid..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The farce that is retrofitting goes on. The government/SEAI have tightened up the grant schemes to largely eliminate the option for contractors to claim the grants directly and not have homeowners having to stump up the full costs up front. They literally want people to get into huge debt for these retrofits. Contractors are making a killing also by just increasing prices and pocketing the grant and more. The solar panel and inverter hardware costs are very reasonable when bought directly but suddenly become exhoribantly expensive once the grants/contractors get involved. It really is a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

"There is a free state retrofitting scheme for households living on social welfare, known as the Warmer Homes scheme, but there is currently a waiting list of 28 months for those already listed for upgrades.

The SEAI has changed the payments it is making to contractors for energy credits for shallow retrofits because it wants to encourage people to engage in deep retrofits of their homes which can deliver bigger energy savings. Companies carrying out these deep retrofits are offering to do all the paperwork for householders, and then claim the grant back later on their behalf.

However, deep retrofits can cost up to €60,000. Even though up to 50 per cent of this can be recouped with SEAI grants, they are still beyond the reach of many households."

The above is from the article, it is unbelievable that the SEAI is encouraging homeowners to get into huge debt to get these retrofits, obviously this is coming from Ryan and the green party, BTW you wont get a deep retro fit for 60k, more like 120k but you might get 25k back from the SEAI.

• Advertisement

120k? I heard 500k, I expect it to be 750k by this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

cost of living going through the roof or did we not notice. And the one stop shops can charge what they like it's a closed market.

You havent a clue,have you? you need to get out and engage in real world activity to get an idea of the costs involved in retrofitting.I am going to help you by setting you a little exercise called "price the retro" all you have to do is engage with one of the ELEVEN registered OSS'S to price a basic deep retrofit your typical 1200 sq ft Irish semi.List of basic items beloW.

1.external wrap/insulation to house.

2.installation of heat pump and replacement of plumbing system.

2.replacement of 10 windows, 1 front door,1back door and 1 set of patio doors to triple glazed spec.

4.removal of existing floor and installation of insulation as per regs.Reinstate floor.

5.all electrical works to bring house to code.

6.installation of MHRV(Ventilation)to dwelling

7.all ancillary works needed to be done to make good after construction.(plastering, painting,tiling, carpentry)

8.removal of all construction waste and redoing landscaping.

Dont forget the 10% fee to the OSS and the 600e consultation fee to see if you're suitable to avail of their service.😀

Now thats the basic stuff that needs to be done for the deep retrofit, even the green guru Duncan Stewart estimated it at 100k plus, your lack of knowledge in this area(and others) is embarrassing.

I wonder how many 1200 sq ft homes in need of retrofit have "10 windows, 1 front door,1back door and 1 set of patio doors"

Is that all you could come with,its near average ,but adjust as needed, 3 front windows, 1 front door, 3 rear windows ,1 patio door, 2 gable end windows and 1 gable side/back door,also threw in 2 velux for good measure( alot of older houses requiring retrofitting would have attic converted).Maybe leave your nest, go outside,wander around your abode and count the windows and doors, hard to get a feel for this stuff when you inside all day.

• Advertisement

Will be interesting to see the results of this years air quality test as it will be the last one before the new smoky fuels ban comes in

Fair play to the farmers for engaging and getting on with it, hopefully we should start to see emissions from the agri sector decline soon

This week a cross-industry dairy group reconvenes to try and agree recommendations for Minister for Agriculture Charlie McConalogue on how to first stabilise and then reduce GHG emissions from the dairy sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Does anyone have a link to the ESB and eirgrud net zero 2040 docs that were posted earlier in the thread.

I tried using the search function but then realised it's about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

That were not allowed in cities. Smokey is only in the country.

Don't use nitrogen fertilizer. The well don't use lime.

Thank you. I was searching for that one and I believe there was another one from the ESB. appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

"A source which just produces more toxic waste and can devastate entire counties in the event of industrial accidents is not a solution I want any part of. Its also got a ridiculous economic case as evidenced by the Flamville and Sizewell fiascos"

Wind power has a ridiculous economic case too, but that hasn't stopped us so far. The difference with wind power is that it doesn't work. After decades of development we find that it can't survive without unaffordable subsidies, and is incapable of keeping up with energy demand growth.

So which other solutions do you "want any part of", given that wind doesn't count as an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

why doesnt wind work, and by any chance do alternatives such as fossil fuels and nuclear also receive state supports and subsidies in order to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,377 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Wind does work but not on windless days of which there are a good few.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,305 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...some Einstein's around here! all the research and investment interests must be wrong so, get over it folks, off shore wind is currently our only real option at the moment, after that its nuclear, but shur best of luck with that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

You're kidding, right? Investment interests are interested in investment returns, not economically sustainable energy. A couple of years back you were getting four times the price for wind energy compared to natural gas. And the prices were guaranteed for 20+ years! I have renewables investments myself (via a company whose main interest is natural gas)... because you'd be stupid not to. It's a case of "so long, and thanks for all the free money", nothing to do with whether people are going to be left shivering in the dark. You say "our" only option is offshore wind as if "our" interests and those of the vultures investing in Big Wind are in any way aligned. Such naivety!

As for research interests, it's pretty much the same thing -- perverse incentives. Just look at the research spam being pasted all over this thread about "large parts of the planet becoming uninhabitable" and tipping points being crossed. None of it has anything to do with likely scientific reality (and I mean IPCC science, not some crank youtube video). Alarmism gets eyeballs ... and therefore research grants.

The insidious thing about malinvestment in renewables is that -- like all malinvestment -- it eats away at the economy over time as money is redirected to unproductive endeavours. The connection between malinvestment and economic decline only creeps up over time. But countries like Ireland who are on a kamikaze nosedive toward unachievable renewables targets will be among the first to smash into the brick wall of reality, probably around the same time that Eamon Ryan is cashing in his gold-plated pension.

We've been here before, back when people thought selling houses to each other for ever higher prices was the basis for a flourishing economy, without generating any productivity. Global debt has been sky-rocketing ever since as governments try to keep the asset bubbles inflated. As a result, the era of low-interest free money is over. And in Ireland we're already seeing the capital costs of both new wind and new gas generation starting to soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The investment interests are interested in making money. The governments have sold out their electorates by subsidising renewables to the point they are gold mines. Without the subsidies there wouldn't be any wind farms or solar farms, because they are fundamentally uneconomic.

Have a look at that ESB video linked to above. In it there is a mention of floating offshore wind being seen as an essential component of their plan. They say they need 30 GW of offshore wind to make zero happen. Let's say that half that is from floating. Norway is just now building an 88 MW floating offshore wind farm, and turbine shaggers are bragging that it will be 40% cheaper than the previous Hywind off Scotland.

Sounds amazing, but it still works out to be costing about €10.5 Billion per GW. Nuclear costs €3.95 Billion per GW. So 15 GW of floating offshore wind would cost €157.5 Billion. To generate that with nuclear would be about €59.2 Billion.

The Irish governments non-nuclear policy is a form of insanity, it really is.

Post edited by cnocbui on

Uh-oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think that photo is montage of two photos, one with the foreground and one with the background, I don't remember the turbines been that big when viewed from the shore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

That hydrogen presentation is just a pile of goo - throw a bunch of concepts and buzzwords into a blender and press go for 30 minutes and see what falls out; loads of talk about exports and subsidies, complete rubbish at this stage

Advertisement