Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I heard someone complaining about tests going down after cruise ships being in the bay.

But sure nobody could possibly link those two together. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

It. Does. Not. Have. To. Add. Up. To. 100%.

You're not understanding the purpose of the graph.

Why is it broken down into sections and %'s used?

If I have a pie and it's 100% you can not make 174% of the same pie.

Likewise emissions, pollution whatever it's called cannot be made 74% extra of what it is. It can only be 100% and broken down where it came from that 100%.

Or do you not know how percentages work?

Face it, it's made up figures.

Or please explain further your interpretation of that graph because messages of less than 10 words defending the cock up aren't really cutting it.

What is the purpose of this graph that was shown by the epa to farmers and environmentalists?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

At best it’s poor data presentation from data professionals, on the most serious of subjects.

At worst it’s misleading and biased. A mortal sin for scientists.

Either way, they allowed themselves open to criticism which could have been avoided.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Im inclined to take Injury's take on this graph...though it it highly and I would say intentionally misleading.

It shows that, of the impacted water bodies, that 63% of them are impacted by agriculture, but also states that 90% of them are impacted by urban sources.

A waterbody can be impacted by several sources.

It doesn't give the level of impaction, which is critical. There is no indication whatsoever as to the level of pollution is coming from any source, only to state that it is a source.

90% of the impaction could be coming from urban wastewater for instance...it just doesn't say.

If you consider that proba ly more than 90% of a waterbodies contact is with agricultural land and a tiny % of its contact is with urban, the fact that 90% of the impacted waterbodies are impacted from urban and industrial sources is astounding.

Make no mistake about it...this report was presented in a way with the purpose of pulling down the current limits of the nitrates directive and subsequent reductions in animal numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

It's my understanding that the area hatched in blue is the galway bay north area and I've friends farming in this area who readily admit that land is poor and hard to farm. Its not my intention to be ignorant but that's the reality of farming in this area and my initial post indicated that its near impossible to farm at an intensive level and that reasoning for poor water quality wasn't due to farming.

I farm in the area, I hadn't seen the map so I was taking the bay description more literally than it's represented on the map. Land is what you make of it and can be as easy or hard to work as the individual wants, that's my experience, it's mostly a mindset issue.

I agree it's not likely farming here is to blame for water quality issues generally. Though if anything I would look more at sprays than fertiliser or stock density issues.

In one of the bay's that has a "transitional water body" there is two discharge points into the bay. I had a photo or video at one time of a dirty looking patch on the sea surface which I assume was sewerage being discharged at that time.

Our village used to draw it's water supply from a lake which is now green and closed in. Knowing the lands around that lake I can't blame anything other than septic tanks.

Fado, fado I applied to the coco for a job. Thankfully I didn't get it. In the interview my occupation was brought up and I was asked about the pollution farming was causing in Lough Corrib. Passed it off since I don't farm near there but I thought it was instructive. I believe some towns around the Corrib subsequently were discovered to have treatment issues.

First thought that came to mind is neighbours stealing off neighbours because travelers are in town. Cruise ships might be part of a problem or an opportunity. I wouldn't generally have much regard for local Govt given the problems in the area.

You could just read the report. Or even the comments to the original tweet by gibbons.

I don't think it's too hard a concept to understand that a river can be impacted by more than 1 activity.

I have him muted on twitter so I had to search for it. So I went to his replies. He doesn't explain it.

The only explanation he gives is the explanation you're repeating that a river can be impacted by more than 1 activity.

But sure we know that. Every person on the planet knows that. The chart showed that. You could have a river at source impacted by turf or forestry, further down by pasture farming, further down by septic tanks, down further by tillage farming, further by urban waste, further down by industry and at the mouth of the river, urban waste again. BUT they all will add up to 100% when it's all broken down.

Now you could make up your own rules on mathematics and declare that now there's 174 parts in 100 per cent and that a previous 36% for farming if there were 100 parts in 100% now becomes 63% but alas that's still not per cent (cent being 100) even though it's presented that way to the reader.

63 per CLXXIV not %

Now the question is were previous graphs for previous years presented as per cent, or CLXXIV but with % at the end to fool the reader.

All that couldn't be any clearer. Agree Injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

You can manipulate figures to tell whatever tale you like. That's a well known fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

I like and share your scepticism re the EPA. From listening to stuff on radio I suspect they're manipulating data using percentages to reduce clarity.. Even using 5 year data is dodgy; they should use data from the latest year - in this case 2021. If they did that for 2022 (next year) there should be a big pull back for nitrogen. Which wouldn't please them one bit I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

There’s definitely an anti livestock sentiment within the EPA

the head honcho came out earlier in the year saying there needs to be a big reduction in livestock numbers, shouldn’t they impartial on that sort of stuff?

Hard cold day on cattle today. I'll start buffering at milking time the next few days I think. I held out too long last year and the grass was gone to water. Got alot of soft hooves out of it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Another 10 days or so and I’ll be in at night …staid buffering cows after drought with 2.5 kg dm of arable silage …really nice quality grass in front of cows but not much feeding in it evenings like this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In at night here since Wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Had to change all 3 legged cubicles to bolt I'm, have em on next few days at nite

If you have 10 rivers.

Say........

Agriculture impacts 6 of them. 60%.

Urban impacts 4 of them. 40%

Forestry impacts 3 of them. 30%

And so on.....

What do you know, 130%.......

Foundation level maths.

Must do better. You're trolling since the start of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭minerleague

That makes no sense, 130% of what? The only way would be to take each river/ stream on its own. Also the strength of impact should be taken into account surely? 1 sewage treatment plant " impacts " a river the same as agriculture " impacts " the same ?

Having said all that we as farmers have to accept intensification is having some impact. As example the amount of drainage is allowing water off land much quicker nowadays. Years ago it would take a week for the river near me to rise after rain but now its up the next day and brown with sediment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Intensive agriculture is the cause....except the county with the most cows has the best rivers...!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Shir we're the best at everything shir, being bad and being good

Really looking forward to the dairy show this year. Missed 2 with COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Did you read the report?? Hghlights issues with waste water plants in some urban areas and factors like runoff. Whataboutery might make some people feel better about things but if you look at the history of pollution in Lakes like Carra in Mayo or Sheelin in Cavan in low pop density rural areas that were pretty much pristine up till the 70's and are now a shadow of their former selves, it tells its own story

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

No I didn't read the report I selected what suited my agenda.terrible behaviour but could it be that I was the only one that did that.judging by what I ve seen and heard I think not.cork with 390 k dairy cows has the best rivers.dublin with 2700 cows has the worst.i keep saying it the situation on the ground does not add up with the propaganda

As charlie mc creevy said years ago about the nice treaty. You would want to be mad to read that bloody thing. Or something to that effect anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Depends what catchments you look at in Cork - obviously not alot of cows in the large mountainous areas in the NW of the county(were the best water quality is found) while Cork being the largest county in the country is going to naturally have more livestock(including cows) then the small counties like Dublin or Louth(and always did). Obviously water quality issues within agriculture are related to stocking rates and the general density of intensive farming operations in particular, which is why the report is broken down into catchments not counties(which was why I asked if you had bothered to read it??) . Again my point was that prior to the 70's, the main issues with water quality in this country were confined to larger urban centres, which is hardly a surprise for obvious reasons, the issue now though is that water quality in the last 40-50 years has crashed over most of the rest of the country, hence the focus on "other sources" that impact rural watersheds including ground water and group water schemes.

• Advertisement

You would want to brush up on your cork geography

Advertisement