Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Farrell had also named a panel of players for the Ireland A game against New Zealand XV.

Tom Ahern (Munster/Shannon)

Diarmuid Barron (Munster/Garryowen)

Caolin Blade (Connacht/Galwegians) 1 cap

Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution)

Shane Daly (Munster/Cork Constitution) 2 caps

Max Deegan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 1 cap

James Hume (Ulster/Banbridge) 3 caps

Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 48 caps

Marty Moore (Ulster) 10 caps

Jamie Osbourne (Leinster/Naas)

Scott Penny (Leinster/UCD)

Roman Salanoa (Munster/Shannon)

They've also listed the following as available for the A side:

Tom Ahern

Diarmuid Barron

Caolin Blade

Jack Crowley

Shane Daly

Max Deegan

James Hume

Dave Kilcoyne

Marty Moore

Jamie Osborne

Scott Penny

Roman Salanoa

edit: unnecessary as just saw Clegg's subsequent post

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Looks grand? Few players injured but can't think of any particular omissions? You could probably quibble between Ahern/McCarthy but also it doesn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

• Advertisement

Interesting squad - we're missing a lot of experienced guys in Earls, Conway, Lowe, Henderson.

I wouldn't have foresee Calvin Nash making the squad - never really looked like an international quality winger to me. He's playing well this season, but I would have thought Shane Daly had more upside and versatility to offer.

I'm surprised at Nathan Doak's absence from both squads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Given the size of the squad and A squad there is very little to argue about.

Great to see marty Moore back and but strange that both marty and roman salanoa are both included as play in same position.

Maybe slightly dissapointed that Doak is not included but might be added to the squad yet depending on JGP and Caseys knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I read the presence of the two tight heads in the A squad to mean Tom O'Toole might get some meaningful minutes for Ireland, which would be good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Disappointed for Doak! Also Disappointed that Healy and Murray are still involved. I don't think they'll survive until the world cup.

Nash is a strange one! I thought he'd be way off the radar. Obviously, there's no concern for Beirne atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Am I correct in saying that the following players were in SA an the emerging Irealnd Squad but do not appear in either squad listed the Autumn games.

Thomas Clarkson

Sam Illo

Michael Milne

Callum Reid

Josh Wycherley

Tom Stewart

Dylan Tierney-Martin

Brian Deeny

Cormac Izuchukwu

James Culhane

John Hodnett

Alex Kendellen

Alex Soroka

Nathan Doak

Michael McDonald

Jake Flannery

Antoine Frisch

Stewart Moore

Andrew Smith

Ethan McIlroy

Chay Mullins

Yeah hopefully that or Moore wasn't included for a number of years and they feel Salanoa is raw but talanted and needs more work within the irish set up..

5 tightheads. 4 loose heads and 4 hookers means plenty of scrum training..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Given the injuries, I expected Nash to get in. He was really impressive on the EI tour and was good for Munster the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

We're clearly trying to get Healy to the world cup as our bak up LH, and I think it's suicide. The guy has been finished for about 2 years.

As for Murray and Carbery still being the backup halfbacks, I think we're massively shooting ourselves in the foot there.

This is McCloskey's big chance. He's in the form of his life this season and is one of only 3 centres in the squad. He won't get a better opportunity than this. If he doesn't take it, the "McCloskey get's treated so unfairly" arguments need to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Not sure how an Ulster scrum half isn't there on merit

Pre World Cup game v England in the Aviva on Sat 19th August.

Maybe Bedhlam plays as back up Loosehead and TOT is back up tighthead.

Slight worry that kilkoyne is in the A squad and not one of the younger props.. if Porter hadn't swapped last year we'd be pretty fe(ked

Interesting slant to take on it.

How many did you realistically expect to make it?

14 guys from the tour are in the wider squad (incl A squad). 3 are injured (Kendellen, Soroka, Frisch).

At least 13 had no realistic ambitions of making this squad (Clarkson, Illo, Milne, Reid, Stewart, Deeny, Izuchukwu, Culhane, McDonald, Flannery, Smith, McIlroy & Mullins) as they aren't in their province's first 23's.

The only two who I think are unlucky not to be there are Nathan Doak and Stewart Moore.

If not for the Emerging Ireland tour, do you think it's likely Calvin Nash, Tom Ahern, Jack Crowley, Scott Penny and Roman Salanoa would be in the wider squad?

I put no slant on it.

No one but a fool could think the full EI Squad would feature in the AIs or in any future squad.

What was your point then?

Is 40% of the squad making this squad not deemed to be a good return?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Dave Kilcoyne in the A squad is the biggest head scratcher for me, you'd think he'd either be in the senior squad or nowhere.

Good to see Marty Moore back in some capacity, seven and a half years since his last cap...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

Its Ireland A rather than Emerging Ireland

Emerging Ireland was a u23 side bar afew players

Ireland A is a second string of the first choice Irish team, which it needs to be as NZL XV will be very difficult.

Yeah, same. Would have thought Josh Wycherley was the much more logical pick.

I think it's likely one of Cian Healy or Dave Kilcoyne will be in the three loose heads we bring to the RWC, so that's potentially where we're going, even though it should arguably be neither at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Shehal

Especially when you consider that Wycherley who is much younger and more likely to grow is being picked ahead of Kilcoyne for Munster.

Although with Munster playing SA XV midweek he will atleast get a decent run out against good opposition so maybe not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Nash is a very strange pick, best of luck to him obviously, a nice confidence booster!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Iain Henderson hasn't had an injury free run in years it seems like to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

You could count on one hand the number of times he's played for Ulster over last season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Especially when you consider that Wycherley who is much younger and more likely to grow is being picked ahead of Kilcoyne for Munster.

Is that accurate?? There's an element of not knowing for sure with the new coaching team, but I'm not sure he's ever been ahead of Killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Great to see Stockdale in. I was thinking it was looking as if he'd be out for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Daly is more versatile, has a higher upside and had a better tour with EI. Its bizarre seeing Nash in the Irish squad, he's 5th, arguably 6th, in the Munster wing depth chart.

Advertisement